FedEx Freight | FedEx Accident in CCI

Ohio State Police And Fedex Crash

Just saw it on the news, they interviewed those involved minus our driver, it appears the cop car was on the left, car 1 tried to squeeze over at the last minute as usual, car 2 slowed, our truck appeared to tap the brake on an icy road and the back one lost it.
So our guy was in the middle lane? That's good. I thought it looked like he was in far left.

So our guy was in the middle lane? That's good. I thought it looked like he was in far left.

looked like the girl started it all, she hit the cruiser and turned it around and the cruiser was again turned around by the car the second pup hit.... the amazing part was the camera was fixed on the dash but followed the FXFE truck as if someone was filming it

Thank God everybody is ok......

Be careful out there drivers

Thanks Jeff for putting more light on this subject.
Theres always two sides to every story.
With this new info you've offered maybe we won't have to fear for the Fedex driver getting bounced out the door over this,seeing it really wasn't his fault.
He just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.
After seeing this scene unfold on the video I for one can just thank God no-one was injured.

Thanks again Jeff if anyone can get to the core of any bad trucking story its you.

Thanks Jeff for putting more light on this subject.
Theres always two sides to every story.
With this new info you've offered maybe we won't have to fear for the Fedex driver getting bounced out the door over this,seeing it really wasn't his fault.
He just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.
After seeing this scene unfold on the video I for one can just thank God no-one was injured.

Thanks again Jeff if anyone can get to the core of any bad trucking story its you.

Just say a prayer for all the drivers that have to move the freight on the icy roads.... I am so relieved that no one was killed

looked like the girl started it all, she hit the cruiser and turned it around and the cruiser was again turned around by the car the second pup hit.... the amazing part was the camera was fixed on the dash but followed the FXFE truck as if someone was filming it

Thank God everybody is ok......

Be careful out there drivers
I wondered how the camera turned around facing back up the highway. It's all starting to make sense now.

I wondered how the camera turned around facing back up the highway. It's all starting to make sense now.

they just showed the video on the cbs morning show, had the 2 car drivers involved and had an animation of how the accident happened

1st car hit cruiser, spun it back facing the traffic, fxfe pup seen sliding sideways hitting 2nd car that was in the hammer lane, 2nd car hits cruiser, and turns cruiser around again in perfect timing of the fxfe truck going by..... very scary but a very amazing video that we all will be seeing for a long time on them cop shows

Raw Video: NKY Cruiser Hit During I-75 Pileup

Look at this horrifying video from a police cruiser last night at 1930 in the CCI area. Anyone heard anything on this yet? We had a driver of ours call in and tell us he saw it on the news. Hope everyone was ok.

Rob

Seems like he might of been going a little to fast according to conditions right there. Because brakes is the last thing you want to have to apply. Maybe a little more space and visibility. But like some one said no one was killed thank God for that.

The driver was out of small boulder aka: little rock on his way to cincinnati. from what I have heard from our drivers that run up that way his back box wound up in the ditch and the cop told him if he could get it rolling just head on up the road. they also said the driver was not sited for anything. someone asked earlier if your allowed in the left lane on that part of I-75 yes you are in that part of northern Kentucky so he wouldn't have been in trouble for that. other then that I haven't heard anything other then all the hype in the media.

We had two accidents yesterday in the Rochester NY area,that were cars running into the back of state police cars already at the scene of other accidents.
I'm glad I'm in my house on the truckingboards these two snowy days rather than driving my 48 foot route trailer around.

Running into the back of anyone is bad enough but police cars?
OH my what do you plead after wacking a cop?

I think insanity would be your only defence.

Anyone notice that a second semi side swiped the cruiser after the FXF driver spun it around... then he just kept on goin'.

Nah I saw him put his 4-ways on so he was probably pulling over. Looks like the cruiser ended up in the next lane over.

Speed too fast for conditions...?

MoMoney,

What the heck were you doing in the "KY"? I thought you was running out to "NY State"?

Here's a little interview I read:

9News spoke tonight with some folks who say they're very lucky to be alive.

On I-71/75 last night, the freezing rain and snow lent to a horrific scene straight out of a movie in which an out-of-control double tractor-trailer slammed into a helpless compact car.

The freezing conditions last night left more than 100,000 power customers without power, but it also created the kind of road conditions that led to the crash.

With the release of cruiser cam video today, one can now witness sheer terror through the cruiser cam of Erlanger police officer Bill Allen.

The events that led up to the disaster were small notes which led to the horrible crescendo.

"Both Officer Eagler and I noticed that the road was very slick," Officer Allen told 9News.

Just before the crash, Allen and probationary officer Doug Eagler had responded to the scene of a single car spinout.

"As we approached the vehicle, we both heard a noise -- turned around and looked -- and saw another vehicle strike the back end of our cruiser," said Allen.

The driver in that car was 20-year-old year Ashley Walker, whose bruises now show on her neck her seatbelt restraint.

"I seen the police cruiser and I tried to stop ad get over, but I couldn't stop," Walker told 9News.

As her car struck the cruiser, the camera goes out.

Officer Allen's car is spinning in the meantime, and when the camera comes back on, it's pointing back towards oncoming traffic.

She tells 9News, this is when she says he saved her life.

"He's like -- get out get out a semi's coming a semi's coming!," said Walker. "He takes me out of the car and throws me into the snow and he throws himself on top of me."

Video also shows the car of Ronald Powell, who amazingly, has barely a scratch on him, despite being in the car the semi hit.

"The cop car started spinning in front of me and I'm coming up and I'm starting to slow down and then I see the Officer grab Ashley out of her car and dive him and himself against the guard rail," said Powell. "And then that's when I get smacked."

The driver of the double tractor-trailer says he tried to steer around, but couldn't.

The video shows the double-load tractor-trailer jack-knifing and slamming right into Powell's compact car.

When 9News asked Powell if he has seen the cruiser cam video of him getting hit, he responded, "Yes, and it just lets me know how truly the grace of God and the seatbelt, it saved my life."

Remarkably no one was seriously hurt as a result of the crash.

Officer Allen tells 9News he didn't have time to think, he just acted.

Ashley Walker says she will no longer take things for granted.

And, again, Ronald Powell believes he and his seatbelt had a little help from above.

Gee, chains would of helped huh? Just a half hour of time to chain would have been safer for everyone around.

Gee, chains would of helped huh? Just a half hour of time to chain would have been safer for everyone around.

Uhh why would he put chains on on a bare road? If he knew it was icy he wouldn't have been going that fast. Chains are for the snowy mountains out west and if it's bad enough that you would need to put them on then you would just park the truck. Plus I doubt that he would even have chains to put on being in Ohio.

Everything happened so fast on that video it was hard to get a handle on what was going on?
This Fedex driver came up to be the center of attention,if you could of paused the picture fast enough,you could of read his tractor number.
Given the date,and time recorded on the video,also the location,all this info put into Fedex Freights computer would have told you who the driver is,what terminal he,or she was out of,and where he,or she was going.

With all of todays technology we drivers are never alone.
Our accountablity can be shared by a multitude of people.
Now isn't that just ducky?

You know its sad to say that with all the accidents that have happened all through this two day snow storm.
This Fedex wreak has gone all over the country on news services video.
FEDEX FREIGHT has had more advertizing from this negative story than they get every sunday on the Nextel Cup racing season.

Videos are such an improvement for our lives.
Yeah right maybe sometimes?

You know its sad to say that with all the accidents that have happened all through this two day snow storm.
This Fedex wreak has gone all over the country on news services video.
FEDEX FREIGHT has had more advertizing from this negative story than they get every sunday on the Nextel Cup racing season.

Videos are such an improvement for our lives.
Yeah right maybe sometimes?

Yep,as usual tragedy TV is wearing it out.

The Real Tragedy

The real tragedy is that this driver's career is over. I won't pretend to know why he f***** up like he did...yet anyone watching the video can tell he was driving way to fast for the conditions.

The second tragedy is that way too many of our employees will sit around lamenting that this driver is done at both FedEx, and in the industry; no one worth working for will hire him: Of course, that assumes he has a CDL after the authorities are done with him.

The bottom line here? Drive like your life depends upon your every action; because it does.

We're all just one mistake away from a coffin; or worse, an 8 x 10 cell.

Be safe.

Jeff