FedEx Freight | FedEx Buying Watkins!

CFer said:
local61man, remember that everything you have heard about a Watkins sale is RUMOR. Don't worry about your possible future with them until there is something carved in stone. You may be worrying about nothing.

Good luck

I would say it is more than a rumor, if you read the article but you are right it is not written in stone yet.

Keep in mind FDX freight has been looking for the rights into Canada for a while, since the Canadian carrier that they inter-line with even though large is less far less then perfect.

FDX also purchases transportation to move their freight from several major service centers in the mid west to the west coast, this may help to eliminate some of this since Watkins coast to coast network is in place and strong.

What ever happens it will definitely be rebranded as Fedex there is no doubt about that. Watkins , the family, owns right to the name. Plus the name change would just give Fedex another arm for their company with .....ground, freight, critical..etc.

As far as getting the axe Local61 that depends on how close another Fedex is and the size of the terminal. If its 37 miles that is not that far. You could be ok if the size is small. If its big......be careful.
One thing I would do is look at your workforce once you start. Are they lacking experience do they have what it takes. And your goals? Do you want to drive? Do you meet qualifications? Finally, when a buyout like this happens it can be a full year to two years before a change is felt. Hang in there.....ride the wave!!

well i am concerned about about what will happen to the famlies when drivers who have dedicated 27 years of their lives to watkins but cant retire.it is being denied with a letter from lakeland to all the terminals,but their is definitely something going on and come june 1 they are suppose to tell us.we will know then

livetotruck said:
well i am concerned about about what will happen to the famlies when drivers who have dedicated 27 years of their lives to watkins but cant retire.it is being denied with a letter from lakeland to all the terminals,but their is definitely something going on and come june 1 they are suppose to tell us.we will know then

I would think that everyone would keep their jobs and might even be more secure with FedEx behind them. I think it is going to be boiling down to maybe three or four main carriers.

{UPS} {FEDEX} {DHL} {YRCW}

livetotruck said:

No denial in that e-mail, it said they would let us know first when it happens... just means the check has not been signed, no denial of talks or offers.:cool:

Skeeter said:
I would think that everyone would keep their jobs and might even be more secure with FedEx behind them. I think it is going to be boiling down to maybe three or four main carriers.

{UPS} {FEDEX} {DHL} {YRCW}

Skeeter. I agree with you 100%

Most folks are afraid of change, but this could be VERY positive for Watkins associates.

as i posted earlier,i'm thinking about signing back on with watkins in asheville.nc and i just wanted to get some of the guys honest opinion about it given what might happen with the fedex thing around june 1st.:smilie_132:

I would think if you watched what happened when FedEx bought Viking and AF they just merged them into the same pot. Why wouldn't that happen with Watkins?

I hope and pray that everyone involved keep their jobs. But we are talking about 2 large companies that are in the same business. FedEx will have people doin the same jobs as the Watkins people do. Office and small terminals in small areas will see the cuts.I will say an area will alot of reginal carriers will play a role in FedEx being able to retain all the drivers