FedEx Freight | Fedex buys Genco

Dude, I'm surprised I remembered Doug Duncan's name, my memory is shot! I'd guess somewhere around '01, '02, '03?????
Yes, Doug Duncan was the CEO of FedEx Freight until 2009. FedEx acquired AF in 2001 but ran the companies as separate entities (east and west) for several years. I really am curious as to when they put the two together and "fixed" the west.

As a former National driver .......THAT HURT...
You have to realize, he doesn't understand how the whole acquisition "really" went down. And how it was mishandled from the AF influenced side of the equation. FedEx let it happen.

This coming from an AF guy, I know Watkins employees and Management got a raw deal, and there was nothing they could do to prevent it.

I just hope they respond better than the National guys did once the merger was implemented. Anything is possible...
Your clueless!!!!! That's something that apparently you have not lived through and I take it a still divide amongst us
In four short years they buy us (Watkins) destroy us then merge us so live that. That's what will happen with Genco. I still remember the day that PR stood in the drivers room saying nothing will change but the name on the door. Now they want me to believe anything else they say now
But wait, I know its coming " Well if you don't like hear quit" 21 years vested here,quiting is not a option.

Last edited:
:wee:
That's because we are a profitable non union company and can continue to invest in infrastructure , equipment, and new ventures. Go Fedex!
Yeah, but they say we can't afford to pay you better, so we'll just take all the money we stiffed you on with weak raises and crap benefits and buy things. Wait a minute! A profitable non union company? I guess maybe UPS will have to sit down and take notes, after all they never turned a profit since they are union and will probably be bankrupt in 2 days...

As a former National driver .......THAT HURT...
Sorry, didn't intend to offend anyone...I based my statement on what I saw personally after the merger.
What did I see, former Watkins city drivers complaining about how many deliveries/pick ups they were being expected to make in a day....road drivers complaining when they were questioned about why they were late getting back (because they stopped to take a nap)....something they were used to doing.
You have to admit, Watkins was more of a laid back company than FedEx Freight.....I know, used to be a Watkins employee, albeit back in the late '80s.

You have to realize, he doesn't understand how the whole acquisition "really" went down. And how it was mishandled from the AF influenced side of the equation. FedEx let it happen.

This coming from an AF guy, I know Watkins employees and Management got a raw deal, and there was nothing they could do to prevent it.
I agree with the second statement, there was nothing they could do to prevent it, they were the ones being purchased. Again, this is usually the case when one company is acquired by another.

As far as the first statement, AF influenced side and FedEx let it happen??? After FedEx bought Viking, then AF, and merged the two while keeping HQ in HRO, I'd say AF became FedEx Freight, thus making the AF influenced decision a FedEx Freight decision.

I understand how it really went down, we just disagree as to why.

Fed ex and ups have been playing the 'keeping up with the jonses' game for years.
FedEx gets a freight arm, ups does too.
Ups branches out into warehousing and FedEx follows suit.
I just hope FedEx gets rid of the genco employees and hires people that actually work.
At Those camp Hill, PA genco warehouses you can spend over a hour there delivering 2 skids..
Fred may have enough pull to get you your own door.

I agree with the second statement, there was nothing they could do to prevent it, they were the ones being purchased. Again, this is usually the case when one company is acquired by another.

As far as the first statement, AF influenced side and FedEx let it happen??? After FedEx bought Viking, then AF, and merged the two while keeping HQ in HRO, I'd say AF became FedEx Freight, thus making the AF influenced decision a FedEx Freight decision.

I understand how it really went down, we just disagree as to why.

In fact, FedEx Corporation, allowed FXFE (and their heavy AF influence) to handle the integration. Former AF practices were forced into a system, that was set up entirely different. NOT better, or worse. Different.

FedEx bought a highly successful and profitable company, and FXFE made it unprofitable. They did salvage something in the end, but lost many millions in the process of a mismanaged acquisition. Too much to get into now. It's a done deal. Little gain, for me, in explaining it all. There is a great book though, if really want to learn about it can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/And-Call-This-F-ing-Leadership/dp/1483917878#

That waiting will all change when they put on the purple. The former Genco workers will get FedEx goals just like we do.
Why is this a bad thing. Meeting goals and not having the "I am a union member and that's not in the contract" mentality are why we are profitable enough to buy them. Efficiency is a good thing.

Why is this a bad thing. Meeting goals and not having the "I am a union member and that's not in the contract" mentality are why we are profitable enough to buy them. Efficiency is a good thing.
It is a wonderful thing. Perhaps no one will mind at all as they sit home and all the logistics carriers continue to run? They will route it with the lowest cost carrier from the network.

Dang, you must have missed this. Union/nonUnion has little to do with it... Another efficiency model for us all. http://www.ttnews.com/articles/base...utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=newsletter

"UPS Inc. has agreed to purchase Poltraf, a Poland-based pharmaceutical logistics company.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

The acquisition will add three facilities, expanding UPS’ health-care network in Europe to 14 facilities.

logo_poltraf.jpg

“Poltraf complements our mainland Europe expansion plan and we are now able to provide health-care companies access to a single source for logistics solutions across the continent, helping to achieve greater supply chain efficiencies and compliance with relevant guidelines,” UPS Europe President Cindy Miller, said in the Dec. 18 announcement.

Poltraf, based near Warsaw, operates a fleet of about 170 temperature-controlled vehicles to deliver pharmaceuticals and medical devices. Its fleet uses GPS and temperature-monitoring technology, UPS said.

The announcement follows UPS’s acquisitions of United Kingdom-based health-care logistics firm Polar Speed in February, Hungary-based pharmaceutical logistics company Cemelog in 2013 and Italy-based Pieffe in 2011."

UPS said it expects to complete the transaction in the first half of 2015