FedEx Freight | FedEx pilots vote in favor of strike in push for pay rise !

I would argue that they may WANT or at least, say they want safe, drug free, ect drivers, but the compensation says otherwise.

Why would someone who is safe, drug free, experienced, reliable, HazMat Q, ect work for roughly $30hr? Let alone the starting wage which is significantly less. Also, I see what Fx has been forced to hire in the last 18mo,amd it is NOT the cream of the crop. Express is badly understaffed on Class A guys, and their pay is on par with Freight.

The quality of driver they hire currently wouldn't get half way through an interview a decade ago before getting a line drawn through his name.

It's a hard truth, but being a professional truck driver is not a fesable, lucrative, or reliable path a young man today. There is no value placed on the driver by any company. Consumable, disposable and eaisly replaced.
Hard for me to argue on behalf of ANY segment of today's workforce. Adequate is the best most companies can get. If that.

Back on topic though, when the "the effort" was rolling strong, significant gains were made. Many still in effect today. Also true, there seems to be significant backslide, clearly evident everywhere in the operation.

FedEx pays what they pay because it's on par with every other LTL company. They all pay the same thing, with different perks.

Express pays significantly less and there progression is messed up. There are guys that have been there for 10 years that still aren't at top rate. They're currently hiring CDL drivers in my area and advertising a pay rate of 22.30 an hour.

I agree that being a truck driver isn't a lucrative path, but like anything else it's a means to an end. Make the best you can with what you've got.

From what I've seen, OTR drivers and getting older and local drivers are getting younger. It's an interesting phenomenon.
I didn't mean Fx specifically. Any driving job is low hanging fruit, with an unpredictable future.

What's fair compensation is relative. I find it interesting that people complain that we don't get paid enough. I make twice as much annually here than I ever did as a cop, and I work far fewer hours. I worked 60-70 hours a week and barely broke $50k a year, and I got bit, punched, kicked, spit on, covered in every single fluid or solid that comes out of a human body, had to deal with some seriously traumatic stuff.

I doubled my salary, and all I have to do is drive a truck. I'm happier than I've ever been.

What's fair compensation is relative. I find it interesting that people complain that we don't get paid enough. I make twice as much annually here than I ever did as a cop, and I work far fewer hours. I worked 60-70 hours a week and barely broke $50k a year, and I got bit, punched, kicked, spit on, covered in every single fluid or solid that comes out of a human body, had to deal with some seriously traumatic stuff.

I doubled my salary, and all I have to do is drive a truck. I'm happier than I've ever been.

Great post.

I trained a former 5-0, all points he communicated with me…

Trucking ended up not working for him and he went back police work, but it comes down to knowing yourself…

God forbid you get cancer you will be cashing out your 401scam to pay medical bills with your crappy insurance while my friend's over $2 Million in cancer medical bills were completely paid for after a $2000 deductible.
When I was with Teamsters I had to have surgery and it was 17k I paid $160

Wish I didn’t have to quit due to relocation & other personal reasons

When you’re on a bid there is no canceling like here at FedEx. Well yeah a run might get canceled but if you’re only able to snatch up something that pays under 8 hours.. you get the full 8 hours that day, called a “Mini” and if you can’t land anything then you actually get paid 8 hours

No dock work for Road Drivers

You get a bonus 4 hours when you work into or on a holiday. Us night time Linehaul drivers have to work into many important holidays and don’t receive anything for it

I can keep going

Last edited:
When you’re on a bid there is no canceling like here at FedEx. Well yeah a run might get canceled but if you’re only able to snatch up something that pays under 8 hours.. you get the full 8 hours that day, called a “Mini” and if you can’t land anything then you actually get paid 8 hours

You get a bonus 4 hours when you work into or on a holiday. Us night time Linehaul drivers have to work into many important holidays and don’t receive anything for it

I can keep going
Do the yard bids still hook the road drivers sets?

God forbid you get cancer you will be cashing out your 401scam to pay medical bills with your crappy insurance while my friend's over $2 Million in cancer medical bills were completely paid for after a $2000 deductible.

So the answer as to why every trucker should be in a union is because you might get cancer.... I'll be honest, if I get cancer the last thing I'm worried about is the bill. I might just take the L so my family gets my life insurance money.

I'm indifferent to unions. I see the pros and cons and they cancel each other out for me. That's my personal view and I don't expect everyone to agree with it, but I don't think you'll get the support you need with this argument. For me, I don't care about careers or pensions. I want to make the most amount of money in the least amount of time. That's net pay, not compensation package.

I can keep going

I get all of that, but none of that matters either. I avoid dock work pretty easily and it's a blessing for the city drivers right now.

As for the holidays, I don't work holidays and have no desire to, even for a bonus 4 hours.

The only thing I care about when it comes to a union is the line between me and management and limiting purchased transportation. All this other stuff is just fluff that doesn't mean anything.

I agree with Swamp, to have no leverage a lot was accomplished. If there HAD been more unity who knows…. But to consider our jobs unskilled labor is exactly what corporate America wants you to think. I just don’t get people who have no sense of self-worth for the jobs they do every day to make this company as successful as it has been. Having a voice in your job is not such a bad thing.

I can keep going
Someone grab slave so he can talk about how they're all going to shuttles and making the drivers work dock now. (Supposedly YRC & Co are getting rid of the non-dock bids)

Oh and how he has to learn to drive a set.

If either side declines, both parties enter a 30-day "cooling off" period, after which pilots and management can engage in self-help - a strike by the union or a lockout by management.

So then what then FDX comes to a complete halt ?
Good for the pilots, at least they have a union to negotiate on their behalf, they get 30% pay increase an pension increase and the rest of the employees get jack ::shit::. This new CEO is for the shareholders only slot different then when Fred Smith ran the company