FedEx Freight | Fedex slaps linehaul drivers in the face again......

triplethreat said:
We did a test run CGT to CMH and driver did it with no problem. Central changed it to a meet but CMH didn't have enough drivers (something like that) so the meet drivers were going through and a few complained and laid down. There were a few that almost made it back but got picked up. Central saw this and wouldn't create a turn bid. We had most drivers make the turn w/o a hitch or extension but a few drivers screwed it up. We make birmingham meet at 642 miles but cant do 624. It is the same speed limit. It should be a bid turn and if you cant do it dont put name on it.

The biggest problem I had was the construction. That and looking for trailers at that time in CGT took a half hour because at that point there wasn't really a yard set up.

Dang, wish I had a 648 meet instead of a 300 work the dock even if I don't feel like it. I worked to get my CDL to get off the dock, ha ha ha, jokes on me I ain't never left it.

Hell back when it was af, we were running like 3-4 laydown lanes out of my terminal. But then a few guys would bid the run & would be bitching & complaining about the via's & the delayed time at the via point....etc....etc. This is why alot of terminals lose some of their best runs or longest runs.....cause that old timer dude that's been doing the run for yrs is starting to get to their laydown dest probably what maybe a 1hr later than their normal eta. So what it's freaking layover....u have all day at the damn hotel & still plenty for your 10hrs off. If u bid the run & don't like it bid off of it & let somebody else get a crack at it......then central ends up making it a meet & turn....or the freight that was in that lane get's swallowed up by your nearest hub then it becomes a new run for that terminal.

Hell back when it was af, we were running like 3-4 laydown lanes out of my terminal. But then a few guys would bid the run & would be bitching & complaining about the via's & the delayed time at the via point....etc....etc. This is why alot of terminals lose some of their best runs or longest runs.....cause that old timer dude that's been doing the run for yrs is starting to get to their laydown dest probably what maybe a 1hr later than their normal eta. So what it's freaking layover....u have all day at the damn hotel & still plenty for your 10hrs off. If u bid the run & don't like it bid off of it & let somebody else get a crack at it......then central ends up making it a meet & turn....or the freight that was in that lane get's swallowed up by your nearest hub then it becomes a new run for that terminal.
It messes up their nap and **** schedule...you'll understand one day..lol

You don't hear me griping, find a thread with me griping in it about something off the wall.... As far as the runs, we really don't have any bad ones where I am at, I prefer the ones that are shorter runs so the next time you feel the need to run those DSL's you may need to check your facts.

I have been for a single seniority board since day one and thats never going to change but what I am for and what actually happens are two different things...

Take your tired union arguments to the debate forum, that horse has been beaten to death here.

Copy that, Jeff. The very people who cry union are the people who the unions-for whatever purpose they serve anymore-don't represent. Anyone, with only theirselves' well-being in the end, would be the most dissappointed in a union environment. Remember that the union is only in it for their own well being, as well. It would be much easier to leave here and work for a unionized company, than to try to unionize here. Besides, the damage, of which these drivers speak, is already done...what is a union going to do about it now?

Quigley said:
I talked to a guy last week that just got hired with Boomerang because they just signed a big new Contract to haul our freight from Carlisle PA to Dallas............... And back .......

Dude got a sweet bid. LOL

redracer3368 said:
Dang, wish I had a 648 meet instead of a 300 work the dock even if I don't feel like it. I worked to get my CDL to get off the dock, ha ha ha, jokes on me I ain't never left it.

O yeah I run 62 miles a night. Cooooome ooooooooon

Copy that, Jeff. The very people who cry union are the people who the unions-for whatever purpose they serve anymore-don't represent. Anyone, with only theirselves' well-being in the end, would be the most dissappointed in a union environment. Remember that the union is only in it for their own well being, as well. It would be much easier to leave here and work for a unionized company, than to try to unionize here. Besides, the damage, of which these drivers speak, is already done...what is a union going to do about it now?

Unions only represent themselves.

That being said...they are in the business of providing a service. Said service is the supposed representation of of a group of individuals desiring recognition for services provided.

The unions promise a specifiic return for dues incurred...or at least hope to.

More times than not those returns are not immediately realized.

There is always..."perhaps the next contract" song and dance and the "we have to start somewhere" excuse.

If FedEx ever goes union...I am gone...the day it becomes effective.

I have been a member of the Teamsters...was a steward at one time.

Never again.

Rat

Thanks for the flowers brother......yes i know this but hills bros wasn't pulling company equip with national....they were using their own dry/reefer van

that's why they ran all the o/o off before the merge, huh.

Fire...

1st, welcome to truckingboards.

2nd, where have you been. Hills bros has been pulling for national for a while now. The national linehaul are ex-national o/o that were forced to get their own authority. It's nothing new. They use the contractors to fill in where company assets are thin. Do i like it? Nope. There's nothing we can do about it. Kicking and screaming here will just make you feel better, but the bottom line is fedex is a for profit company. They will do anything to try to make a profit.

thanks for the flowers brother.....yeah but hills bros wasn't pulling the companies equip....they were using their own dry/reefer van....and i agree 100% with u on the company is a for profit company. You know the old saying "u have to spend a little $ to make $"....well not over here. Hell i can remember back in the af days they would never cancel your bid...either they found some freight for u to move or u just ran with mtys mostly.

what gets me is the fremont in to cmh purchase that happens every night. Why not add a 3 rd driver?

that's all that freight that comes out of michigan thru fre for cmh.....cmh most likely don't have alot of next day(priority) tonnage for the different points in michigan.

they didn't run them off...fedex had different requirements for any o/o hauling their freight after the merger.
Now you have to own at least 5 trucks and be an llc...there were some other stipulations, as well.
Some didn't like it and left.

Purchased transportation (pt) is often more expensive than using in-house drivers on a per-mile basis.
That's why it's cheaper for one-way freight and let the pt worry about the backhaul.

But actually contracting-out multiple routes/freight with multiple fleet owners (line & city) ala fedex ground is a whole different ballgame than using pt.
Whether we see something like this is not known at this point, but it would not surprise me in the future to see 80% fleet-owners and 20% company drivers.

yeah i wouldn't doubt u on it at all.....look at how averitt is now....use to be a ton of company drivers...now contractors mostly.

pullintriples said:
Dat's what i'm talk'in bout, DAAAAAAWWWWWGGGG. Ain't no feeling like two-trailer mobiling 31 miles at a time. 10-FO!!!!

10-FO... I know dem city boys be wantin to be me but NOPE ! I'm FO- SHO a super trucker

thanks for the flowers brother.....yeah but hills bros wasn't pulling the companies equip....they were using their own dry/reefer van....and i agree 100% with u on the company is a for profit company. You know the old saying "u have to spend a little $ to make $"....well not over here. Hell i can remember back in the af days they would never cancel your bid...either they found some freight for u to move or u just ran with mtys mostly.
Fire your wrong. I worked at national and met a hills brothers driver at aurora nebraska and he brought me a set ofpups every night. they even ran a newton meet with schaumberg with our equipment

hummmmm every outfit is doing this now.. Abf maybe the only one that is not.

it's a agreement or clause in their union contracts that the company or whatever can only use certain % or # count of outside contractors or if none at all. The outside contractors or purchase trans as we call it got the short end of runs as far as mileage....the 1st choice of runs was or are to go to company drivers 1st. That's why yellow, roadway, ups, and abf use to do it haul their own freight with sleeper teams or a sleeper solo or whatever. It was a clause or agreement in their contract. I'm not sure about estes & when watkins was running sleeper teams or whatever. I heard that the sleeper teamn for watkins were contractors but the tractors had to be painted & color schemed to the companies logo & stuff.

i've din ind to cgt to cmh didn't make it all the way home. Got close enough to be picked up though.

hell we had one of our drivers whos bid run is to cgt....a p/t that runs the freight from cgt to stl didn't show....they used him...he got all the way down but layed down...he would've been able to make it back if he hadn't burnt most of his time on the dock down in cgt. But believe me, from the cgt/cgx & some other surrounding terminals to stl can be done. I know drivers that work for ups that run out of the catch/hodgkins barn off 294 that run to their stl terminal & to earth city,mo....a 5day a week scheduled lane from that hodgkins facility. Look on your map & see where earth city,mo is...it's further south than stl. So it can be done. Hell i ran it back in the af days a couple of times & that was back when we were on a 10hr drive log. So it can be done. But i heard until efh runs over operating capacity is when they'll start bypassing efh

fire your wrong. I worked at national and met a hills brothers driver at aurora nebraska and he brought me a set ofpups every night. They even ran a newton meet with schaumberg with our equipment

no kidding! Wow!....were u a actual watkins hire or a national hire back then.....