TForce | Heres a wild idea.Strictly speculation of course.

Covvgirl said:
I was thinkin today.. Thats something my kids tell me not to do..They say mom your gonna have a problem if you keep thinkin. So I'm thinkin.. say UPSF goes union, are they gonna need to raise thier freight charges, everyone is saying more pay better this better that, pay you for the work you do, And lets say you do get everything or atleast 75% of what you think you have coming and they raise the frt charges and some companies gonna stop trading with UPSF because they can get it hauled somewhere else cheaper in the same amount of time. Now this is only a thought, please no one jump my butt . I would just like opinon on it.

Think about this instead, How is it that ccx, fdxf, yell, road, abf, and a slew of other's can stay competative and offer better bennies and pay than we do? and still offer good rate's for thier customers.

Think about that for a moment!!!!! and notice 2 of the co. I have mentioned are non union and doing very well. The other's are doing very well and are union:shock: abf being the #1 in profit's and operating ratio that cannot be beaten by any that I just mentioned, If I am correct 84% operating ratio, and is damn good for a Union co.

Accelerator said:
You mean to tell me the negotiation's have not started yet, Or are you telling us they are over and the info meeting is this weekend, and you get to see what has been thoughtup thus far?
UPS negs. start next week. UPSF started last week.

Interesting?

Apostolic said:
This contract should be very interesting.
My local union hall leaders said we weren't going to be able to get as good of a contract as the NMFA,but we'd be better off than what we are getting now.
What hall did you guys go to? APWA? Our IBT hall said we were going for a better package than the NMFA. A twisted way to look at it is that junior employees would jump ship from our competitors for more money and benefits, thus leaving them with a driver shortage and no way to move the freight. In the end we get the drivers and the freight.
If the Teamsters negotiate a cheaper contract than their coveted NMFA,than their contracts talks with the few remaining Teamster LTL companies won't go well.
Of coarse they could and can say anything they want, but as you stated, the exsisting union carriers would not bode well if we got anything less.
Why would Yellow,ABF,and whatever other Teamster companies want to have to pay more in wages,and benefits?
If in fact we end up getting a better contract than the rest, this might also touch off dicontentment with our newly found brothers.

Interesting?

Apostolic said:
This contract should be very interesting.
My local union hall leaders said we weren't going to be able to get as good of a contract as the NMFA,but we'd be better off than what we are getting now.
What hall did you guys go to? APWA? Our IBT hall said we were going for a better package than the NMFA. A twisted way to look at it is that junior employees would jump ship from our competitors for more money and benefits, thus leaving them with a driver shortage and no way to move the freight. In the end we get the drivers and the freight.
If the Teamsters negotiate a cheaper contract than their coveted NMFA,than their contracts talks with the few remaining Teamster LTL companies won't go well.
Of coarse they could and can say anything they want, but as you stated, the exsisting union carriers would not bode well if we got anything less.
Why would Yellow,ABF,and whatever other Teamster companies want to have to pay more in wages,and benefits?

If in fact we end up getting a better contract than the rest, this might also touch off dicontentment with our newly found brothers.

Covvgirl said:
I was thinkin today.. Thats something my kids tell me not to do..They say mom your gonna have a problem if you keep thinkin. So I'm thinkin.. say UPSF goes union, are they gonna need to raise thier freight charges, everyone is saying more pay better this better that, pay you for the work you do, And lets say you do get everything or atleast 75% of what you think you have coming and they raise the frt charges and some companies gonna stop trading with UPSF because they can get it hauled somewhere else cheaper in the same amount of time. Now this is only a thought, please no one jump my butt . I would just like opinon on it.
Its not all about the frt. charges but more so about the service and steady customers no this.

Browne1 said:
BIG Hammer, do you know of some of the things you guys want to change? Just curious as to how things are going. Any info is good....
well we want to change the overtime the delay pay the road drivers give at each terminal beef up our pension but ill keep yall informed on what happens as we get the info we just want all the things big o didnt want to give

Where is Overnite in all these union talks?
I thought Overnite closed their books for good midnight April 30th of this year.
we are now wholely,and souly owned by UPS.

It does look like Overnite is hanging on with their old ways of running the LTL freight business,even though they are no longer even concidered a trucking company.

The UPS CEO told J.Hoffa jr. to take a free hand in organizing their heavy freight division.

So Overite should no longer be an issue.

When you behead a turkey, the body sometimes gets up and runs around like its still in charge. Eventually it (O management) will fall over.

Good point hugnlug.
I can totaly relate to that statement.
I grew up on a chicken farm,with one thousand chickens.
The folks sold the eggs,and chicken meat.
I remember offing the chickens heads ,than we had to drop the bodies into a 55 gallon drum,while they finished flopping around.

I guess looking at the UPS take over is close to having Overnite still holding on,even though,they've exited the business community,as doing business as Overnite.

Yesterday is history, tomorrows a mystery. Thats why I operate in today. Sometimes its the little things that make the big things more evident. An example of this is what happens at your own terminal. We got a new TM a couple months ago, and he is changing everything. This is the most positive changes I've seen in this barn in years. Everything from cleaning up this swill hole, to holding people accountable. Long overdue and a breath of fresh air. This inturn is starting to have a positive impact on the barn. I think that is why and how O/MC was runned into the ground, lack of professional leadership without insight into the heart and soul of the operation.

I agree with you on this post as well,hugnlug.
This was a big thing that I could never understand coming from working as a LTL Teamster for 20 years.

Hiring on with Overnite,than to see people get away with trashing,freight,or many other wrong, work practises.

All they ever got was a yelling fest in the TM's office,or sometimes on the dock.
Than everything was forgotten in short order.

There was no checks,and ballances to nip bad work ethics in the bud.
Also to correct problem areas so they wouldn't continue.

I think now with the UPS take over,the honeymoon may be over,and there maybe a lot of the old ways going out the window forever.

Well we can only hope,that some day UPS Freight will be a fine tuned company raking in big profits for all of us UPSers benefits.

I am starting to hear customers praise and welcome this change in UPSF's lack of damages and delayed freight. I realize now that we are traveling a different road. I see it everytime I open up the trailer door to tender freight, I'm not totally embarassed.

I guess SINCE` UPS knows nothing about freight` they know that damage to freight is a total loss & waste of time. ......maybe what we are seeing is a taste of UPS`business acumen at work! it is transferable you know..

Long days said:
I guess SINCE` UPS knows nothing about freight` they know that damage to freight is a total loss & waste of time. ......maybe what we are seeing is a taste of UPS`business acumen at work! it is transferable you know..
you know my managers have been telling us the same thing. That UPS knows nothing about freight. I can just imagine the higher ups at UPS just rolling on the floor laughing at that. I think that our managers at O really do think that UPS bought them because they was a "good" company.:hysterical:

Long days said:

Well I for one wish some of this acumen would be delivered by the grace of god into the airhead docklead and dispatcher we have, to soon to cut into the TM yet, he is kinda new.!!!!!