TForce | Heres a wild idea.Strictly speculation of course.

UPS has proved that they can manage and be profitable with union workplace. I don't think the issue came up when they had there talks about purchasing Overnight.

Apostolic said:
Well just in case you were woundering how I came to start this thread.
Heres my story,and I'm sticking to it.

Our lead dock gal,uses my tractor for yard work.
I have my radio tuned to either a Christian station or classical music.

I don't like that she has to target my tractor out of all the rest of our fleet,to do drops,and hooks.

She leaves greace on the back of the grab handle sometimes.

I always look for it now after learnning about it the hard way before hooking to my route trailer.

Well she either turns the power off,or turns the dial to no sound.

I don't think I'm leaving the sound up to much?

She must of really gave it a fast turn to no sound,when she used it Thursday night.

I couldn't get it to work when I came to get it for an early appoinment delivery.

No radio equalls thinking time.

So thats when I started thinking all these strange thoughts about the Teamsters,and UPS.
Apo, Tractors take alot of abuse being used as yard horses. All the banging around sometimes makes the radio shut down. If you have a International their is a small pin hole on the face plate. Take a paper clip and push in this small reset button. This will reset the radio for the power to come back on. You have to look close to find this tiny hole on the front face plate. This could be your problem.

Apostolic said:
With my broken radio these thoughts came to me,and may have been way out of this world.
But from all the post replys to this thread I may not be the only one that thinks theres more to UPS's CEO turning us over to the Teamsters so easy at Vagus this year
After all of the Teamsters tactics in trying to organize our company,and all the oppossion that came forth from Overnites upper management.
Than in just a very short time after we were rebranded UPS Freight.
UPS just throws us to the union,for a winner take all organizing effort.

I'm really thinking it was UPS's intention for our company to fall into Teamster representation on their terms.

The other thing is UPS has been introducing a lot of their ways they deal with their unionized parcel workers,on us,and we aren't Teamsters.

Well yet anyways.
Maybe UPS is so used to dealling with the Teamsters for so many years they'd feel better if everything was spelled out in a contract for them to operate the heavy freight division?

Again as my friend Skeeter says,time will tell.
I think the main reason UPS is being so cooperative is because of attack on the Teamsters done by Overnite by sending out those DVDs in the mail. Did anyone read the letter Hoffa sent to Mike E**** CEO of UPS? It is on the teamster website along with Mr. E***'s response.
http://www.teamster.org/resources/upsfreight/EskewLetter.pdf
CEO of UPS Responds to Hoffa Rebuke

Mike E*** is very smart, and he knows that if UPS makes things hard for Teamsters and go against the law protected rights of the employees of UPS Freight to have representation, the Teamsters could make it hard for them during negotiations with the Parcel side of UPS, the main money maker for the company. He realizes the UPS and Teamsters, after the last strike have an arrangement to work together and that striking is bad for teamster workers and UPS. And remember, next year is year 100 for UPS. Volume is going up and that is good for all of us.

Aplo and Browne1 good posts. The two posts are the bests I have read - good insights. The big brass from Overnite was at our terminal the other day and they informed us that the card check time has elapsed. One terminal card check submission was completed - I'm not sure what they meant by that. Something was said like "the time was up" - I didn't know we were on a time limit? NOW ON A COMPLETE SPIN let me say this: It seems awfully contradictory for Hello "the biggest teamster company" to come in to a non-union company who has had it's hell with trying to unionize in the past - only to come in and (1) not give us raises (2) not to give time and l/2 after 8hrs and (3) pay the road drivers for their down time - and the list goes on - AND sending an OVERNITE spokesman to represent them not a UPS REPRESENTATIVE to "intimidate" (for lack of a better term). UPS Freight THEN has the audacity to PUT THE UPS LOGO ALL OVER US AND LET US DRIVERS SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES WITH NO RECOURSE - so IF THEY DO NOT WANT US TO UNIONIZE WHY THE HELL WOULD THEY PUT THE BIGGEST UNION LOGO ON US? TAKE IT OFF!!!!!!!! They saved a few bucks by buying a non-union company, but we have to go by everything UPS without the real benefits that every other UPSer enjoys. STRANGE thing is there are some of us perhaps in the dark who still DON'T SEEM TO MIND!!!!!!!!

skull said:
Aplo and Browne1 good posts. The two posts are the bests I have read - good insights. The big brass from Overnite was at our terminal the other day and they informed us that the card check time has elapsed. One terminal card check submission was completed - I'm not sure what they meant by that. Something was said like "the time was up" - I didn't know we were on a time limit? NOW ON A COMPLETE SPIN let me say this: It seems awfully contradictory for Hello "the biggest teamster company" to come in to a non-union company who has had it's hell with trying to unionize in the past - only to come in and (1) not give us raises (2) not to give time and l/2 after 8hrs and (3) pay the road drivers for their down time - and the list goes on - AND sending an OVERNITE spokesman to represent them not a UPS REPRESENTATIVE to "intimidate" (for lack of a better term). UPS Freight THEN has the audacity to PUT THE UPS LOGO ALL OVER US AND LET US DRIVERS SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES WITH NO RECOURSE - so IF THEY DO NOT WANT US TO UNIONIZE WHY THE HELL WOULD THEY PUT THE BIGGEST UNION LOGO ON US? TAKE IT OFF!!!!!!!! They saved a few bucks by buying a non-union company, but we have to go by everything UPS without the real benefits that every other UPSer enjoys. STRANGE thing is there are some of us perhaps in the dark who still DON'T SEEM TO MIND!!!!!!!!
At first I thought that UPS didn't want us to be union. Some of this thinking came from O management saying that UPS bought O because O was non union. The truth is that UPS bought O because it was a good deal. Whatever company they bought they would have to spend money to rebrand it. If they bought ABF, it would be too expensive to buy and rebrand, and because of the union contract they had no access to the pension money. Buying O was very smart because of the relatively inexpensive price plus the BIG QUADRUPLE DOUBLE instant rebate coupon they got with the 400 million dollar O pension. UPS doesn't care about the union. The union is what made UPS. They were forced to find a way to make profit even though they had to pay the workers top wages this is why they are number 1 and why UPS invest so much in technology. That is the future of cutting cost. The only thing the cripples UPS is the fact that their biggest competitor, FEDEX, is not union. That is the only company they care about. UPS Freight will be union. Instead of people arguing about it, they should be trying to find out what issues they have about it and make sure there is language in the upcoming contract relative to their feelings. We all need to be more pro-active, our jobs are hanging in the balance. We are family now, let's act like it.

Skeeter said:
Correction, Overnite has no {O} unions terminals. They all uncertified thanks to hoffa.
Well I have always been under the belief that some was not all but a mix here and there. But, still stand and say that Ups just wants to get past this and capture more market share and stand alone in the industry as no1

Originally Posted by SlowRide
Some of this sounds true. Remember O and MC has union barns and if UPS thought they could come in and remove that they would be wrong. So they opened the door for terminals to organize, then when it's all done they could get right down to the business of being the best

Skeeter said:
Correction, Overnite has no {O} unions terminals. They all uncertified thanks to hoffa.

Skeeter your correct.. OVERNIGHT may not have had any union terminals, but for sure MC had none, the fact was the day UPSF took over FRESNO there was a yellow line drawn on the ground in front of the gates and signs that said 'NO UNION' The drivers and dock workers that were working there when the buy out took do not support the union.But they have hired a number of new people . Drivers, Dock Workers, and Office personal. So no one knows. All the TMs everywhere knew the Union was going to try and come in at the time of buy out.

Apostolic said:
This is something I was thinking about today,on my route.

UPS is well on their way to come to an agreement on a union contract for INDY.
The first organized terminal of UPS Freight,their heavy freight division.

UPS purchased Overnite not that long after,Union Pacific Rail Road turned us loose.

Now heres the part of my thoughts that could be way out.

UPS could have made ABF a stand alone union company,an offer they couldn't refuse.

But maybe UPS bought Overnite knowing full well that the Teamsters would be all over us,as soon as we were rebranded.

It seemed odd that UPS's C.E.O. just allowed J.Hoffa Jr. to have at us with a card check.

Was the way it was carried out,UPS's,or the Teamsters idea?
Could it be that UPS has orchestrated this whole union organizing,from the start?
It maybe a part of their buisness plan?

They knew the Teamsters were after Overnite,to be unionized for many years.
This way they would allow union organizing on their terms with a contract to their liking?

Maybe just my wild imagination?
OR NOT?

Sounds like wishful thinking AP. Well, Maybe half and half. But you and I know God takes care of his children. So I'm not worried either way it goes. But one thing I do know it will be the way that's best for all.:bananapowerslide:

Covvgirl said:
Some of this sounds true. Remember O and MC has union barns and if UPS thought they could come in and remove that they would be wrong. So they opened the door for terminals to organize, then when it's all done they could get right down to the business of being the best

Skeeter your correct.. OVERNIGHT may not have had any union terminals, but for sure MC had none, the fact was the day UPSF took over FRESNO there was a yellow line drawn on the ground in front of the gates and signs that said 'NO UNION' The drivers and dock workers that were working there when the buy out took do not support the union.But they have hired a number of new people . Drivers, Dock Workers, and Office personal. So no one knows. All the TMs everywhere knew the Union was going to try and come in at the time of buy out.

Covvgirl, At the time Overnite Corp. bought Motor Cargo they had two union terminals.
Salt Lake City and Reno Nevada. Those were the only two. Since that time and after UPS purchased Overnite Corp. which included MC Salt Lake City decertified leaving just Reno Nevada a union terminal.

Reno is a very strong union terminal and I have to respect that and I do.

When this union nonunion issue is all over I hope we can heal our differences.

Although webidiot has gotten under my skin and I am sure I've got under his. I'll be the first to buy him breakfast.

LOL! Believe me most that know me are probably laughing knowing how tight I am.

Covvgirl said:

I don't know who is telling you this it just isn't true. There is no problems at Fresno. No signs saying no union. I go into Fresno it is what we call a hub for nothern and southern Ca. Everyone works together great. No union nonunion problem at all.

Browne1 said:
At first I thought that UPS didn't want us to be union. Some of this thinking came from O management saying that UPS bought O because O was non union. The truth is that UPS bought O because it was a good deal. Whatever company they bought they would have to spend money to rebrand it. If they bought ABF, it would be too expensive to buy and rebrand, and because of the union contract they had no access to the pension money. Buying O was very smart because of the relatively inexpensive price plus the BIG QUADRUPLE DOUBLE instant rebate coupon they got with the 400 million dollar O pension. UPS doesn't care about the union. The union is what made UPS. They were forced to find a way to make profit even though they had to pay the workers top wages this is why they are number 1 and why UPS invest so much in technology. That is the future of cutting cost. The only thing the cripples UPS is the fact that their biggest competitor, FEDEX, is not union. That is the only company they care about. UPS Freight will be union. Instead of people arguing about it, they should be trying to find out what issues they have about it and make sure there is language in the upcoming contract relative to their feelings. We all need to be more pro-active, our jobs are hanging in the balance. We are family now, let's act like it.

Ladies and gentalmen, This is a message from the emergency broadcast system. UPS DOES NOT CARE IF WE GO UNION. THE ONLY CONCEARN IF EVERYONE WAS'NT READING THE LOCAL RAGS ABOUT LOGISTICS MANAGEMENT ORIENTATED MAGAZINES , AND INVESTMENT STRADEGY MAGAZINES, IS STATING AND I QUOTE " THE SOLE AMBITION OF MOST COMPANIES THAT CAN BE A WORLDWIDE LP3 COMPANY,SERVICING CUSTOMERS WITH A POTFOLIO OF ALL TYPES OF LOGISTIC'S AND TRANSPORTATION METHOD'S FOR EVERY CUSTOMER AT EVERY LEVEL OF BUSINESS.

With that said we are nothing but a small part of this in the grand scheme of thing's.
Being nonunion has it's profitable benifit's for the company, but is not the only one. The major concearn at this point is to kill the competition. Not the union.

Top And Biggest

Accelerator said:
Ladies and gentalmen, This is a message from the emergency broadcast system. UPS DOES NOT CARE IF WE GO UNION. THE ONLY CONCEARN IF EVERYONE WAS'NT READING THE LOCAL RAGS ABOUT LOGISTICS MANAGEMENT ORIENTATED MAGAZINES , AND INVESTMENT STRADEGY MAGAZINES, IS STATING AND I QUOTE " THE SOLE AMBITION OF MOST COMPANIES THAT CAN BE A WORLDWIDE LP3 COMPANY,SERVICING CUSTOMERS WITH A POTFOLIO OF ALL TYPES OF LOGISTIC'S AND TRANSPORTATION METHOD'S FOR EVERY CUSTOMER AT EVERY LEVEL OF BUSINESS.

With that said we are nothing but a small part of this in the grand scheme of thing's.
Being nonunion has it's profitable benifit's for the company, but is not the only one. The major concearn at this point is to kill the competition. Not the union.

Bottom line.. UPS bought out Overnite for tax write offs of billions of dollars and because they want to STAY the largest trucking company in the free world Next yr they will buy another company out for another write off, it will go on & on & on. until the LTL and Truckload companies give in because they no longer can make it. it may not happen in our life time but it will happen. 25 yrs ago they were the largest and North Amercian Van lines was 2nd. I'm not sure where NAVL is today but UPS is still #1 and always be. Union or non union they could care less..

Browne1 said:
You make very good points - I don't think UPS can use Overnite's pension plan and what about all those guys who are collecting pensions and about to retire now.

skull said:
You make very good points - I don't think UPS can use Overnite's pension plan and what about all those guys who are collecting pensions and about to retire now.
When UPS bought overnite they added its pension to the UPS savings advantage. Now they have it to do what they legally can with it. I think O's pension was about 90 something % funded which is pretty good. All they did was take away from our benefits, like changing the 5 best years formula to the last consecutive years formula and reinvest that into the pension to get it 100% funded. I'm not sure how it works and I don't mean to confuse anyone, but once a company is 100% funded in the pension they don't have to contribute to it.. ...that means more money for them. I'll do some more research on this and let everybody know...

Browne1 said:
When UPS bought overnite they added its pension to the UPS savings advantage. Now they have it to do what they legally can with it. I think O's pension was about 90 something % funded which is pretty good. All they did was take away from our benefits, like changing the 5 best years formula to the last consecutive years formula and reinvest that into the pension to get it 100% funded. I'm not sure how it works and I don't mean to confuse anyone, but once a company is 100% funded in the pension they don't have to contribute to it.. ...that means more money for them. I'll do some more research on this and let everybody know...

The pension was 100% funded. Not 90%:shades:

Browne1 said:
I wonder if the 100% "O" pension is now shared with all UPS non-union workers?

BusterNite said:
I wonder if the 100% "O" pension is now shared with all UPS non-union workers?

I sure hope so I think they probably have just a Tad more money in their nonunion fund I willing to wager.

you assume that UPS is smart and wanted to buy a bankrupt company. They got caught with their pants down and believed what O said to them with out investigation.....they thought they were getting a bargain, boy were they wrong. Fedex is cleaning their clock....