FedEx Freight | Hot Topic- One Board Or Two Boards

The whole concept is based on a few guys at the top of the senority list wanting to cherry pick their jobs...So say I started at af 30 years ago.. And I went and got my comercial pilots license......Would it be right if I could go bump a FedEx Pilot for 10 years off his job??? Say you owned a trucking company and you needed some drivers right away, would you wait for you maintenence guy to get his cdl to drive your truck or would you hire a guy that has been trucking for 15 to 20 years??? I know what I would do! If you want flexability then buy your own company..Then do what ever you want..How can you work for a company and expect it to cater to a few at the top..when I say top I mean lenght of service not top employee..The only real flexable people in this world are people with money.....Sorry if I made anyone mad but this is how I feel..:Flame-On:

We are talking truck drivers here.... Not Pilots
This not an issue for the few at the top, many people are discussing this now....

We are talking truck drivers here.... Not Pilots
This not an issue for the few at the top, many people are discussing this now....

Like dock guys that just got their cdls that have been their for 20 years longer then most of the drivers?? Just wait, when fxf and fxnl merge their will be alot of people butting heads....... Thanks for letting me try to make my point..:smilie_132:

Like dock guys that just got their cdls that have been their for 20 years longer then most of the drivers?? Just wait, when fxf and fxnl merge their will be alot of people butting heads....... Thanks for letting me try to make my point..:smilie_132:

10-4 driver..... you are 100% welcome to express your opinion.

Thanks, have a great weekend

it's called seniority, once you earn yours others will ask the same thing
now I'm not attacking any one but, three of these threads are about seniority this one quote say it all. I have road seniority (every time I spell that word I have to make sure it's not the spanish word for Mister)but I digress,but any way I'm just saying others have city seniority. How many of you were fortunet to hire in when your center opened. I was and they hired the city first then the road, four city, one road. I came in as number three road number seven overall, now there is just two of the original city and I have moved to number one road. So I would not be hurt no matter what moving back two spots. Our biggest "one boarder" is below me on the road now because he waited to go to the road only after we got day time runs and was home every day (night) When I didn't get home a week or two at a time I never ever heard this argument about one board, While I was going out the city was going home with remarks such as "Hope you left some cold beer in the fridge or your old lady will have to go get me some". If anyone thinks there is no differance in the two jobs you are sadly mistaken. When was the last time you saw two truck wreck in the city where you could not tell the makes of the trucks. I did a couple of weeks ago and it was ugly and about 9:00 am. on I-80. When was the last time any city driver went to work wondering if he or she was coming home at the end of the shift. Believe me I do every day, and especially at night. I'm just saying I feel I earned my spot and now others want it. Sidebar, our first center manager, (this was before cms had authority over road) would bring in free tickets to like a comedy show and put a note up by the sign out board saying we should sign up if we wanted to go. Nice guy right? Problem was these things only happened week nights, before we worked days or was home every night,

now I'm not attacking any one but, three of these threads are about seniority this one quote say it all. I have road seniority (every time I spell that word I have to make sure it's not the spanish word for Mister)but I digress,but any way I'm just saying others have city seniority. How many of you were fortunet to hire in when your center opened. I was and they hired the city first then the road, four city, one road. I came in as number three road number seven overall, now there is just two of the original city and I have moved to number one road. So I would not be hurt no matter what moving back two spots. Our biggest "one boarder" is below me on the road now because he waited to go to the road only after we got day time runs and was home every day (night) When I didn't get home a week or two at a time I never ever heard this argument about one board, While I was going out the city was going home with remarks such as "Hope you left some cold beer in the fridge or your old lady will have to go get me some". If anyone thinks there is no differance in the two jobs you are sadly mistaken. When was the last time you saw two truck wreck in the city where you could not tell the makes of the trucks. I did a couple of weeks ago and it was ugly and about 9:00 am. on I-80. When was the last time any city driver went to work wondering if he or she was coming home at the end of the shift. Believe me I do every day, and especially at night. I'm just saying I feel I earned my spot and now others want it. Sidebar, our first center manager, (this was before cms had authority over road) would bring in free tickets to like a comedy show and put a note up by the sign out board saying we should sign up if we wanted to go. Nice guy right? Problem was these things only happened week nights, before we worked days or was home every night,

This is where we differ, some think there should be selective seniority like we have now and others like me think everything involving driving should be done by company seniority.

On the contrary I agree but only if it was so from the beginning not now that it only benefit the ones did not want that choice when wasn’t so sweet.

On the contrary I agree but only if it was so from the beginning not now that it only benefit the ones did not want that choice when wasn’t so sweet.
train if they were paying us all the same rate of pay then maybe but the biggest majority chose them layovers and nights because it paid more than city work, some will tell you you they think they gave more because they had to do the layovers, or the nights etc.

These guys didn't work nights and layovers or miss the kids ball games out of the kindness of their hearts ... they we compensated much better to do it

We are at the same rate the only difference are the amount of hours worked. If you worked 60 plus hours a week you would make the same or close to what the road makes, why they don't let the city get as much overtime as possible I don't know someone told me recently it is cheeper to pay one driver time and a half than call another in.

""These guys didn't work nights and layovers or miss the kids ball games out of the kindness of their hearts ... they we compensated much better to do it"'

I'm sorry but they paid for that extra compensation too! Just ask some of their kids and wives. I know more than one family tht broke up because of the hours we worked.

A lot has changes ofer the years. NO ONE stays out all week. I'm not even sure we have Lay down bids any more. Do we?

We are at the same rate the only difference are the amount of hours worked. If you worked 60 plus hours a week you would make the same or close to what the road makes, why they don't let the city get as much overtime as possible I don't know someone told me recently it is cheeper to pay one driver time and a half than call another in.

""These guys didn't work nights and layovers or miss the kids ball games out of the kindness of their hearts ... they we compensated much better to do it"'

I'm sorry but they paid for that extra compensation too! Just ask some of their kids and wives. I know more than one family tht broke up because of the hours we worked.

Did these guys choose to go to the road and be away from their families for the extra compensation or did they just do it to help out the company?

A lot has changes ofer the years. NO ONE stays out all week. I'm not even sure we have Lay down bids any more. Do we?
This is my point exactly, no one stays out all week and yes they still do some lay downs mostly two and a meet I think there might even be some 2&3s

Did these guys choose to go to the road and be away from their families for the extra compensation or did they just do it to help out the company?
Of course we did it for the money why didn't you? I don't think any one can argue the inhertent danger compared to the city Think of it as hazardous duty pay

Of course we did it for the money why didn't you? I don't think any one can argue the inhertent danger compared to the city Think of it as hazardous duty pay

Ok then call this Company Loyalty and Advancement Pay

Ok then call this Company Loyalty and Advancement Pay
I’ll see your company and loyalty pay and still raise you hazardous duty pay you can not argue the fact that you are more likely receive more crippling injuries in a highway crash than in a city crash. And I still earn the above pat too!

I’ll see your company and loyalty pay and still raise you hazardous duty pay you can not argue the fact that you are more likely receive more crippling injuries in a highway crash than in a city crash. And I still earn the above pat too!

Don't know dude, their are plenty of interstate driving miles between stops on city runs and I broke the hell out of my leg and had several surgeries to fix it in 99 when a big crate fell on my leg when I was a city driver.

That there is not really gonna be a valid argument train.

Don't know dude, their are plenty of interstate driving miles between stops on city runs and I broke the hell out of my leg and had several surgeries to fix it in 99 when a big crate fell on my leg when I was a city driver.

That there is not really gonna be a valid argument train.
Preventable or not? I know things like that happen I don't know how yours happened my first thought was were not paying attention to what you were doing, upon further reflection I know stuff happens before you know it I worked city before in my life too. That's still a far cry from the wreck I saw a couple of weeks ago in board daylight, nice dry weather, another truck crossed over the medium destroying both tractors I mean totally. I went pass as the firetrucks got there. If it had not been for the trailers you would of never guess two trucks were involved you might of thought that someone dump a load of fiberglass trassh on the highway. Or my nephew who broke down one night and was standing between his truck and the service truck when another driver fell asleep or what ever and ran his truck into the back of my nephew's truck upon to my nephew who remained concious the whole until they lifted the truck off of him. After numerous operations he still only came out with one leg. And we are damn glad to have him at all. How do you drop a crate on your self anyway?

Preventable or not? I know things like that happen I don't know how yours happened my first thought was were not paying attention to what you were doing, upon further reflection I know stuff happens before you know it I worked city before in my life too. That's still a far cry from the wreck I saw a couple of weeks ago in board daylight, nice dry weather, another truck crossed over the medium destroying both tractors I mean totally. I went pass as the firetrucks got there. If it had not been for the trailers you would of never guess two trucks were involved you might of thought that someone dump a load of fiberglass trassh on the highway. Or my nephew who broke down one night and was standing between his truck and the service truck when another driver fell asleep or what ever and ran his truck into the back of my nephew's truck upon to my nephew who remained concious the whole until they lifted the truck off of him. After numerous operations he still only came out with one leg. And we are damn glad to have him at all. How do you drop a crate on your self anyway?

assisting a customer unload some heavy crates of mirror glass, hit a bump with the pallet jack, 1100 lb crate fell over on my leg... I am good now.....

All jobs have hazards though, hell driving to work is a hazard....

See, I don't want company seniority recognized to bump up higher on the road board,to make more money,I have been debt free for years and have all I need because I live a very modest lifestyle, I drive a 94 pickup with 175K+ on it. I will not ever take a 500-600 mile run everyday unless I had to, I want to go back in the city for a year, then if I want, go to the road a year, then back and forth, no weather dodging, bid once a year first week in January.

I would like to see more flexibility is why I want a change, not to bump anyone with any payback or get even stuff, There are some good guys where I work and most people work with each other, I would just like to change without starting at the bottom for the 3rd time

Glad the leg came out ok your right life can be a hazard just crossing a street can be a hazard not to long ago some were calling me speed bump and making little jokes about why'd the chicken crossed the road? Just to show train that it could be done. That was back in the freighthauler.com days but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. But I think just because you get bored does not justify all of a sudden uproot other drivers. As I said before I could work the city doing four ten hour day the last year before retirement I'm just not sure I'm the type of guy you want dealing with a surly old shipper/receiver. Not to beat a dead horse here but I don't think any of you were that bored before we did nothing but turns

Here's a suggestion. Go to company seniority only, but do away with the bids every year. That way nobody has to worry about losing their run.

Here, the only "bidding" happens when a position gets vacated due to someone leaving or moving themselves, and senior guy gets it for as long as he wants.

Oops, forgot. I'm talking about FedEx here. In this business you always have to allow for the "stupid" factor, in this case management stupidness.