TForce | How do I get out of the union??

I believe it's called a WITHDRAWAL CARD!:smilie_132: Do it driver, You don't have to quit your job and go anywhere, If it works for you "Just Do It"

That is what I was wondering. If it was as simple as filling out some paper work.

Thanks for the replies and advice guys. Some good advice and points, and some BS. AS with everything, just need to filter through it.

you can get out at any point but you may need to talk to your fellow members at your barn and see what kind of work place you will have being a free loader and if you are not in a right to work state article 3 section 2 says that after a letter from the union stating that you did not remain a member the company has 72 hours to terminate you give it a chance and dont complain get out there and help by doing your part

you can get out at any point but you may need to talk to your fellow members at your barn and see what kind of work place you will have being a free loader and if you are not in a right to work state article 3 section 2 says that after a letter from the union stating that you did not remain a member the company has 72 hours to terminate you give it a chance and dont complain get out there and help by doing your part
Ci I am not trying to start any trouble here I just wanna ask you a question,OK. The Teamsters may not be for everyone and that doesn't mean someone should have to give up a career just to be able to coexist with their fellow employees, I know what you are thinking, What about a closed shop? Well if someone lives in a closed shop state(michigan) they have been raised around the union and union ways all of their life probably, So they probably would not have an issue with being a member. Now say you live in a right to work state (S.C) Not your typical hotbed of union activity. Last time I checked we still live in america and some of the freedoms we enjoy relate to just this issue, Freedom to assemble,Freedom to have your own beliefs and also freedom of speech. Your post kind of sounds like he may be "threatened" by his fellow employees. I ask you, Would you be as tolerant if someone didn't feel or think the same as you on an issue, Say you are a Baptist and the Jehovahs Witness continued to visit your home after you told them you were not interested and kept telling you that you were wrong in your thinking and that their way was the only or right way to go. I know this probably isn't a fair comparison using religion as an example but it was all I could think of at this moment. Baptist and Jehovahs used strictly for comparison purposes only, No harm or offense meant to anyone. Thanks

Ci I am not trying to start any trouble here I just wanna ask you a question,OK. The Teamsters may not be for everyone and that doesn't mean someone should have to give up a career just to be able to coexist with their fellow employees, I know what you are thinking, What about a closed shop? Well if someone lives in a closed shop state(michigan) they have been raised around the union and union ways all of their life probably, So they probably would not have an issue with being a member. Now say you live in a right to work state (S.C) Not your typical hotbed of union activity. Last time I checked we still live in america and some of the freedoms we enjoy relate to just this issue, Freedom to assemble,Freedom to have your own beliefs and also freedom of speech. Your post kind of sounds like he may be "threatened" by his fellow employees. I ask you, Would you be as tolerant if someone didn't feel or think the same as you on an issue, Say you are a Baptist and the Jehovahs Witness continued to visit your home after you told them you were not interested and kept telling you that you were wrong in your thinking and that their way was the only or right way to go. I know this probably isn't a fair comparison using religion as an example but it was all I could think of at this moment. Baptist and Jehovahs used strictly for comparison purposes only, No harm or offense meant to anyone. Thanks

At this point of ones decision making, in a non right to work state, you must be in the union or leave your job, it is the law.

In a right to work state one can reap the bennies and monies, and not pay dues, but when it comes time to be repremanded you are on your own.

In this rite to work state of being some shop stewards will either help you anyway, or try to sink you for not being a "BROTHER". Keep that in mind. I am not saying it will happen, but always keep that in the back of your mind should you proceed with this action.

This is how it works. Taking under consideration the union stands for the rights of workers under the law, I would consider it unethical to not represent a non union worker in my barn. "BROTHER" OR NOT.

At this point of ones decision making, in a non right to work state, you must be in the union or leave your job, it is the law.

In a right to work state one can reap the bennies and monies, and not pay dues, but when it comes time to be repremanded you are on your own.

In this rite to work state of being some shop stewards will either help you anyway, or try to sink you for not being a "BROTHER". Keep that in mind. I am not saying it will happen, but always keep that in the back of your mind should you proceed with this action.

This is how it works. Taking under consideration the union stands for the rights of workers under the law, I would consider it unethical to not represent a non union worker in my barn. "BROTHER" OR NOT.
Accel I have talked to some people in other terminals, And you (we) would like to think that every steward was above board on all of his or her decisions. But say you have two drivers both members 1 steward and 1 driver. The driver did something that really p'd off the steward a year ago and he hasn't forgiven him, And now he gets in trouble and needs the steward to have his back, Well this particular steward has issues and is not going to give this guy the same fight as he would his good friend. Where does this leave the driver, A good "union man"?
And someone said in a previous post you need to be a "Union man" not a "company man". You can be both! Remember without a company your union will do you no good. Thanks Accel.:smilie_132:

We are building the foundation for many years of prosperity. For the company as well as her employees. Please don't expect miracles overnite. (pun intended) Teamster Elvis out.....:1036316054:

I'll represent a non-member, for $60 bucks a month:hysterical:, for how long the grievance takes. Then I will give the money to the hall. There are no free rides. :nutkick:

After not being impressed with the union contract and the way the union has represented our terminal, how do I get out?? I am not paying $60 dollars a month to get treated worse than before we had anything. Now if we had a NMFA, or something close, I would be happy to pay my dues. :chairshot:

I asked the one of the stewards and they were less than helpful. Funny, they were so quick to sign people up, but not quick to help a guy leave the union.

I guess I could call the hall, I just have not had time yet.

I noticed what area you are from....You should GO to the hall instead of calling them!

I know your agent there and he is a good one, and he is like the rest of us...GIVE IT TIME.....there will be the 1st Southern UPSF Greivence Panel to convine on July 7,8,and 9th. Many issues that concern cases and clarification will finally be settled there...let the process work!

We have to build the foundation...don't get out of the Union because you have not been to the Hall and gotten involved with your co-workers and wited for the process to work...KK

Accel I have talked to some people in other terminals, And you (we) would like to think that every steward was above board on all of his or her decisions. But say you have two drivers both members 1 steward and 1 driver. The driver did something that really p'd off the steward a year ago and he hasn't forgiven him, And now he gets in trouble and needs the steward to have his back, Well this particular steward has issues and is not going to give this guy the same fight as he would his good friend. Where does this leave the driver, A good "union man"?
And someone said in a previous post you need to be a "Union man" not a "company man". You can be both! Remember without a company your union will do you no good. Thanks Accel.:smilie_132:

I do not disagree that such things exist, but one must remember, and in order to make the union everyone so much desires, everyone must stand as a group, union or not, for everyone is a worker, union or not, and the reason for the union to begin with is to protect "workers rights". For this is the reason unions were formed to begin with, and the words "workers rights" is used often in union communique. After all the union fights for all workers as we have noticed in "MEXICAN TRUCKING" not just the BROTHERS.

If someone who is elected steward goes into this feray with malicious ulterior motives, one should ask why this person was voted in to begin with, and this sort of thinking could fullcircle its way to you.

I protect those who voted me in, and they voted me in to do an ethical job, and to protct those with laws desighned to protect them as well as following the terms of the contract.

I realize that ulterior motives exist, and this is the reason why the union, particularly the Teamsters, is known as criminals and thugs. It is truely pitiful that a tool used to maintain workers rights can be tarnished with such a label. My opinion is to wait and let the union work, could infact be a couple of years until a good portion of the bugs is worked out of this contract, then form an opinion and take action, for now one is being fair. There is good and bad in everything, with that being said one must make the best of anything.

I noticed what area you are from....You should GO to the hall instead of calling them!

I know your agent there and he is a good one, and he is like the rest of us...GIVE IT TIME.....there will be the 1st Southern UPSF Greivence Panel to convine on July 7,8,and 9th. Many issues that concern cases and clarification will finally be settled there...let the process work!

We have to build the foundation...don't get out of the Union because you have not been to the Hall and gotten involved with your co-workers and wited for the process to work...KK

I agree.......:1036316054:

You are wrong Accelerator!......A Union has to BY LAW represent a non-member in a Union shop. Better yet, I must do so and make sure all avenues are at his free loading butt's disposal, in case he uses that excuse if he was to lose his greivence and go to the NLRB making such a claim!

What do you "reap" by being a free loader by the way....how does that support your co-workers in the workplace?.....KK

this is the reason why the union, particularly the Teamsters, is known as criminals and thugs

Hey, you do not even know me......so why do you say that?

Teamsters are VERY involved in their neighborhood and community with children.
We send kids to college..we sponser ball teams...we help in disasters......ever noticed those big Teamster trucks in the back ground after a flood, hurricane or tornadoes????

If we had a criminal background in freight......we could not even get our CDL and endorsements!

Where are you going with this cheap shot of a post anyway....you've already made uninformed comments on here concerning labor laws?....KK

You can only withdraw if you are no longer working for a union company. Best think to do is quit and get a nonunion job. But don't forget to get your withdrawal card. You never know when you may need it again. Unless you are in a right to work state like Nevada. Then like KK said you can be a low life free loader.

free loader on what have you read this contract:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Hey, you do not even know me......so why do you say that?

Teamsters are VERY involved in their neighborhood and community with children.
We send kids to college..we sponser ball teams...we help in disasters......ever noticed those big Teamster trucks in the back ground after a flood, hurricane or tornadoes????

If we had a criminal background in freight......we could not even get our CDL and endorsements!

Where are you going with this cheap shot of a post anyway....you've already made uninformed comments on here concerning labor laws?....KK

First of all hello KK, Secondly, the Teamsters does have a name of being thugs, and criminals, mainly due to practices of old, most being justifiable. I am not labeling the Teamsters, of which I am, as being criminals and thugs for I am a Teamster now , and I am not a criminal or a thug. And anyone who has been posting on this board knows I have always defended this position, the actions of the few does not define the many.

The label is out there, it is out of my control, and yours. I also realize the Teamsters is active in the community, politics, Education, etc. etc. for I am.

It was the Teamsters fighting for all TRUCK DRIVERS, when Mexicans wanted to drive junk across the boarder. I am sure you know this.

You are exactly right when you say I do not know you , and I do not, I do not claim too iether.

Your argument here is not with me but with those who throw this label around.

I also realize as a BA, it is your obligation to protect those union and non union, for it is not only the contract for the brothers you protect, but the work laws desighned to protect workers here in this beautiful country.

And before you say I am throwing around cheap shots try reading and understanding the post.

Johnny Big Rig was saying in his post that other stewards he had talked too would rather throw a non union employee, that works under the same barn and contract as they, under the bus for NOT wanting to be a Brother, as opposed to fighting for them in thier time of need.

Essentially what I am saying, is , it is moments like this that creates a label for the union as being thugs , criminals and using strong arm tactics for control.

If I have Offended you by saying this, well I apoligize, I was not labeling anyone, most I talk to are asking if we are teamsters yet and I approach with a big smile and A "YES". And some come across with this label after I say as such. And I am sure most who post on this board has heard as such. Again, I apoligize for offending you, but there was no subliminal message here.

First of all hello KK, Secondly, the Teamsters does have a name of being thugs, and criminals, mainly due to practices of old, most being justifiable. I am not labeling the Teamsters, of which I am, as being criminals and thugs for I am a Teamster now , and I am not a criminal or a thug. And anyone who has been posting on this board knows I have always defended this position, the actions of the few does not define the many.

The label is out there, it is out of my control, and yours. I also realize the Teamsters is active in the community, politics, Education, etc. etc. for I am.

It was the Teamsters fighting for all TRUCK DRIVERS, when Mexicans wanted to drive junk across the boarder. I am sure you know this.

You are exactly right when you say I do not know you , and I do not, I do not claim too iether.

Your argument here is not with me but with those who throw this label around.

I also realize as a BA, it is your obligation to protect those union and non union, for it is not only the contract for the brothers you protect, but the work laws desighned to protect workers here in this beautiful country.

And before you say I am throwing around cheap shots try reading and understanding the post.

Johnny Big Rig was saying in his post that other stewards he had talked too would rather throw a non union employee, that works under the same barn and contract as they, under the bus for NOT wanting to be a Brother, as opposed to fighting for them in thier time of need.

Essentially what I am saying, is , it is moments like this that creates a label for the union as being thugs , criminals and using strong arm tactics for control.

If I have Offended you by saying this, well I apoligize, I was not labeling anyone, most I talk to are asking if we are teamsters yet and I approach with a big smile and A "YES". And some come across with this label after I say as such. And I am sure most who post on this board has heard as such. Again, I apoligize for offending you, but there was no subliminal message here.

You Thug!!!!:hysterical:

You are wrong Accelerator!......A Union has to BY LAW represent a non-member in a Union shop. Better yet, I must do so and make sure all avenues are at his free loading butt's disposal, in case he uses that excuse if he was to lose his greivence and go to the NLRB making such a claim!

What do you "reap" by being a free loader by the way....how does that support your co-workers in the workplace?.....KK

First of all when one reaps bennies and monies and chooses to not support a union ,I would say that person is not supporting their fellow workers, if you choose to call it freeloading, then I would agree, it is.

Secondly, I also understand the ethic's behind workers rights. And the responsibilities of a BA, to an extent, and I am still learning mind you. To say someone is "on thier own" mite be a strong statement and probably should not have been muttered here, for that I apoligize , but I can assure it does exist, and I am aware of this first hand, maybe not under your watch, but for that I think you are worth your weight in gold.

First of all when one reaps bennies and monies and chooses to not support a union ,I would say that person is not supporting their fellow workers, if you choose to call it freeloading, then I would agree, it is.

Secondly, I also understand the ethic's behind workers rights. And the responsibilities of a BA, to an extent, and I am still learning mind you. To say someone is "on thier own" mite be a strong statement and probably should not have been muttered here, for that I apoligize , but I can assure it does exist, and I am aware of this first hand, maybe not under your watch, but for that I think you are worth your weight in gold.

Hmmmmm....I weigh 3,600 ounces...how much is gold an ounce today?....KK...:1036316054:

Organized labors' success was achieved by strong arm tactics, period. Corporate thugs were hired to squeeze any serious movements in the past, period. Back in the day, corporate greed was so rampant, they would stop at nothing to preserve their riches and f**k over the working man. Blood spilled all over the streets for a paltry piece of the pie. I am eternally grateful for the sacrifices of our early brothers, who didn't b!tch on a web site, about injustice in the workplace. They took it to the streets and allies and demanded a fair shake. Call it thuggery if you like. But it was justified then, and it would be justified now, if the circumstances were the same. How many today, have the balls to give everything of yourself, so that all will benefit? This might sound militant to some. But if you don't think history can repeat its' self, then all of you, (who have been around this industry any length of time), need to truly evaluate how this industry has devolved. Teamster Elvis out.....