TForce | How do I get out of the union??

Organized labors' success was achieved by strong arm tactics, period. Corporate thugs were hired to squeeze any serious movements in the past, period. Back in the day, corporate greed was so rampant, they would stop at nothing to preserve their riches and f**k over the working man. Blood spilled all over the streets for a paltry piece of the pie. I am eternally grateful for the sacrifices of our early brothers, who didn't b!tch on a web site, about injustice in the workplace. They took it to the streets and allies and demanded a fair shake. Call it thuggery if you like. But it was justified then, and it would be justified now, if the circumstances were the same. How many today, have the balls to give everything of yourself, so that all will benefit? This might sound militant to some. But if you don't think history can repeat its' self, then all of you, (who have been around this industry any length of time), need to truly evaluate how this industry has devolved. Teamster Elvis out.....
Elvis, I think we are closer to the "old strong arm tactic" than most people would like to admit! I am a proud Teamster as you are, but in the back of my head I always think that maybe the best thing for the Union would be to break the Union and Let people see what all of our forefathers fought for and why they have High wages riding on coattails of the Teamsters and other Unions!!!! Hoping it doesnt come to that!!!!!!:hide::hide::chairshot:

There is nothing to protect the working man from corperate greed; except the collective bargaining process. The Union is our best chance. It is no wonder that 11,000 out of 12,600 have joined in less than 6 months. 1,000 of those other 1,600 were foolish enough to buy some of that apwa garbage. In another year plus, it will be 100%. I believe that it is laziness and the lack of balls that makes some not stand up for themselves. Those who do the least, complain the most. TEAMSTER OUT!:1036316054:

After not being impressed with the union contract and the way the union has represented our terminal, how do I get out?? I am not paying $60 dollars a month to get treated worse than before we had anything. Now if we had a NMFA, or something close, I would be happy to pay my dues. :chairshot:

I asked the one of the stewards and they were less than helpful. Funny, they were so quick to sign people up, but not quick to help a guy leave the union.

I guess I could call the hall, I just have not had time yet.

Transfer to POR....

Elvis, I think we are closer to the "old strong arm tactic" than most people would like to admit! I am a proud Teamster as you are, but in the back of my head I always think that maybe the best thing for the Union would be to break the Union and Let people see what all of our forefathers fought for and why they have High wages riding on coattails of the Teamsters and other Unions!!!! Hoping it doesnt come to that!!!!!!:hide::hide::chairshot:

You will never see the unions of this country break......:smilie_132:

Organized labors' success was achieved by strong arm tactics, period. Corporate thugs were hired to squeeze any serious movements in the past, period. Back in the day, corporate greed was so rampant, they would stop at nothing to preserve their riches and f**k over the working man. Blood spilled all over the streets for a paltry piece of the pie. I am eternally grateful for the sacrifices of our early brothers, who didn't b!tch on a web site, about injustice in the workplace. They took it to the streets and allies and demanded a fair shake. Call it thuggery if you like. But it was justified then, and it would be justified now, if the circumstances were the same. How many today, have the balls to give everything of yourself, so that all will benefit? This might sound militant to some. But if you don't think history can repeat its' self, then all of you, (who have been around this industry any length of time), need to truly evaluate how this industry has devolved. Teamster Elvis out.....

I agree with this history lesson, and I will be right by your side if you choose to do as such, for I believe in the same as our forefathers. The union served it's purpose, and still does today, yes these tactics were used and justifiable.

In time, if given the chance, corperate america will do the same again. And by the way, I hope those blue suade shoes you are wearing was made by bonafide union workers.........

I wouldn't be so quick to jump ship. You will have no rights under the contract without being a member. Without the ability to file grievances, you will be out of luck. Sure some will say that the law says you do, but law and enforcement of law are two different things. We had one guy who thought he could do it on his own, He was buddy, buddy with the managerment. He needed a favor, his supervisor told him no go and now he is in no mans land. Stick with the UNION and learn the contract. There are many ways of getting what you need to get done. Be inventive, think and apply the contract langauge. The no's you heard may soon turn to yes. It is the individual responsibility to make the union strong. If you are weak, then the union and the contract will be weak. Stay strong! Learn the rules and fight for everything you deserve.:1036316054:

AMEN BROTHER :1036316054::1036316054::1036316054:

:1036316054:
You are wrong Accelerator!......A Union has to BY LAW represent a non-member in a Union shop. Better yet, I must do so and make sure all avenues are at his free loading butt's disposal, in case he uses that excuse if he was to lose his greivence and go to the NLRB making such a claim!

What do you "reap" by being a free loader by the way....how does that support your co-workers in the workplace?.....KK

kennesaw your right we do have to represent the **** but there is difference in representing a **** and fighting for one it is like a court apionted lawyer and hiring your own one from the court could care less because you aint paying him he is already payed but one you hire he is working for you so there is a difference in representing and fighting so brother stay with us and enjoy the ride or help drive the train its up to you

A few facts:
A Withdrawal Card has nothing to do with withdrawing (resigning) from the Union. You get a Withdrawal Card from your Local (cost: 50 cents) when you will be out of work for a period of time, such as on a layoff of a month or more. This stops your obligation to pay dues while you have no paychecks coming in. When you go back to work, you turn in you Card and resume paying dues.

Anyone, no matter what state they are in, can resign from the Union at any time simply by sending a written note to the Local Secretary-Treasurer saying that you wish to resign. It's best to send it certified mail, return receipt requested.

If you are in a Right-To-Work State, your resignation letter will also stop your obligation to pay dues. In a Non-Right-To-Work State you do not have to pay dues, as such, but you do have to pay an Agency Fee. Usually the Union will claim that the Agency Fee is the same amount as regular dues, but it really should be somewhat less. If someone else hasn't already fought to get the Agency Fee reduced to 85% or so of the dues rate, then you will have to be the first to argue the case.

Unions, by Law, must represent all members of the bargaining unit, weather dues-paying members or not. That's the price they pay for being allowed to have a monopoly in representing the unit. (Normally a monopoly would be a violation of the Anti-Trust Laws and get you thrown in the slammer.) The NLRB grants Unions exclusive jurisdiction and bars any competing Unions from the worksite for three years at a time. This is a huge benefit that Unions seldom mention, or ever try to eliminate, when complaining of "free riders."

A non-Union member of the bargaining unit is, by Law, to be treated exactly the same regarding wages, benefits, representation, grievances etc. However, as a non-member he has no right to vote on contracts, or for Union Officers, or to attend Union meetings.

The National Labor Relations Board website has all this and lots more at nlrb dot gov.

Class dismissed.:D

A few facts:
A Withdrawal Card has nothing to do with withdrawing (resigning) from the Union. You get a Withdrawal Card from your Local (cost: 50 cents) when you will be out of work for a period of time, such as on a layoff of a month or more. This stops your obligation to pay dues while you have no paychecks coming in. When you go back to work, you turn in you Card and resume paying dues.

Anyone, no matter what state they are in, can resign from the Union at any time simply by sending a written note to the Local Secretary-Treasurer saying that you wish to resign. It's best to send it certified mail, return receipt requested.

If you are in a Right-To-Work State, your resignation letter will also stop your obligation to pay dues. In a Non-Right-To-Work State you do not have to pay dues, as such, but you do have to pay an Agency Fee. Usually the Union will claim that the Agency Fee is the same amount as regular dues, but it really should be somewhat less. If someone else hasn't already fought to get the Agency Fee reduced to 85% or so of the dues rate, then you will have to be the first to argue the case.

Unions, by Law, must represent all members of the bargaining unit, weather dues-paying members or not. That's the price they pay for being allowed to have a monopoly in representing the unit. (Normally a monopoly would be a violation of the Anti-Trust Laws and get you thrown in the slammer.) The NLRB grants Unions exclusive jurisdiction and bars any competing Unions from the worksite for three years at a time. This is a huge benefit that Unions seldom mention, or ever try to eliminate, when complaining of "free riders."

A non-Union member of the bargaining unit is, by Law, to be treated exactly the same regarding wages, benefits, representation, grievances etc. However, as a non-member he has no right to vote on contracts, or for Union Officers, or to attend Union meetings.

The National Labor Relations Board website has all this and lots more at nlrb dot gov.

Class dismissed.:D

That is great in theory, try to argue a grievance, when the panel has an equal amount of union reps on it. Unless the Steward or local has your back, your free-loading butt is out of luck.:biglaugh:

Free Loading 101:

What Mr. Scuzbag did not bring up.
You can take a withdrawal card if you are laid off,out on long term illness, or discharge. Now when the company sends the Local Union a monthly report and if you show back on as having a paycheck, you dues will kick back in....BUT....if you did not take a withdrawal card while you are out, you are obligated to pay the back dues....or get with your BA and send in a dues waiver explaining your situation and it will be waived.

NOW...who wants to be a Free Loader...(not so fast)....the company ALSO knows who is and how many are paying union dues too!

What would happen if the majoity were free loaders in your barn? The company will WALK ALL OVER YOU knowing you do not have a strong union and kill your negogiations at contract time!

Also...read your obligation to the Local Union when you signed up for membership. You can request in writing to resign from the Union, and that will be granted....but your obligation to dues check off is still in effect.
You must give written notice to the Local Union with in a specified time from the date you signed up...each local varys...check you application.

NOW.....WHY would you want to be a Free Loader and suck off the hard work of your Brothers and Sisters in your barn? They help to build solidarity, while free loaders tear it down....that is what the boss wants!

Yep, you cannot attend Union meetings...but even more....you WILL NOT set foot on Union Hall property if you are not a member...after all...it is for Union members only!....be carefull in your advice...not all is correct in YOUR class......."If you are in a Right-To-Work State, your resignation letter will also stop your obligation to pay dues..."...not so Scuzbag!

For the real facts....go to a Union meeting and learn the facts and the truth....free loaders did not build this the great Union....THE MEMBERS DID!.....KK

. . ."If you are in a Right-To-Work State, your resignation letter will also stop your obligation to pay dues..."...not so Scuzbag!

Everything I wrote is true. Obviously I could have elaborated but that would have made my post even longer.

Why do you believe a person has a legal obligation to pay dues to an organization to which they have not joined, or from which they have resigned? Can you cite an official source to prove you position? Members pay dues, non-members do not. That's true of all organizations, not just unions.

Everything I wrote is true. Obviously I could have elaborated but that would have made my post even longer.

Why do you believe a person has a legal obligation to pay dues to an organization to which they have not joined, or from which they have resigned? Can you cite an official source to prove you position? Members pay dues, non-members do not. That's true of all organizations, not just unions.

I..........,hereby authorize my employer to deduct from may wages each month (UPSF is weekly) an amount equal to the monthly dues, initiation fees and uniform assessments of Local Union XXX, and direct such amounts so deducted to be turned over each month to the Secretary-Treasurer of such Local Union for and on my behalf.

This authorization is voluntary and is not conditioned on my present or future membership in the Union.

This authorization and assignment shall be irrevocable for the term of the applicable contract between the Union and the employer or for one year, whichever is the lesser, and shall automatically renew itself for successive yearly or applicable contract periods thereafter, whichever is lesser, unless I give written notice to the company and the Union at least sixty (60_)days, but not more than seventy-five (75) days before any periodic renewal date of this authorization and assignment of my desire to revoke same.
Signed..........

........KK....:chairshot:

After not being impressed with the union contract and the way the union has represented our terminal, how do I get out?? I am not paying $60 dollars a month to get treated worse than before we had anything. Now if we had a NMFA, or something close, I would be happy to pay my dues. :chairshot:

I asked the one of the stewards and they were less than helpful. Funny, they were so quick to sign people up, but not quick to help a guy leave the union.

I guess I could call the hall, I just have not had time yet.

Simple, just quit stupid.