ABF | How has been starting over at ABF been for you

I envision YRC as a company with nothing left working there but men who can't get jobs elsewhere. Wearing hats sideways, knee length shorts hanging down to the ground, i Pod hanging out of their ears etc. No insult intended to those who are still sticking around hoping and praying that they will recover, just giving my thoughts. I am happy for all who find a better place to be and wish them luck.

Starting over at ABF has been a nice change. it was hard giving up the 3 weeks of vaca but even harder to give up the pension and 15% at YRC. after almost 4 months of being fulltime, I've got 5 guys hired on under me. Working 10% shift and basically working better shifts than guys above me. It's fine for now because i know it will change when we rebid in april but still its been worth the change. The equipment works like it should most of the time. Don't have to struggle with safety latches on lead boxes while unhooking a gear. The trailers don't have holes in the roofs that are patched by placards and are infact water tight. Was raining the other night at 003 and didn't feel like I needed to go get rain gear or a life raft to work inside a trailer. All in all a better work environment and (most) of the attitudes are positive.

I went through a DOT inspection in Temple Ga. last week and the inspecting officer (female) looked at my past logs for the previous 5 weeks. I know she was only legally allowed to look at the previous 8 days but with the attitude she had I just shut up and watched. What she was looking for was my 1/2hr breaks. I watched her use scratch pad and pen to keep track of how many hours I worked before and after any ½ hr off duty time. I got a “no violation” inspection but it was not from her lack of trying. I am unsure how this applies to city drivers but keep in mind the DOT is watching.

I live in the Atlanta area, and I can tell you that Temple scale doesn't play around. There is no such thing as getting the green light on the prepass there...

layoffsucks, they have posted hiring on the road at 003. our bottom guys are making 80,000- 85,000 per year and working when they want. basically M-F,, yes gone and odd sleeping,, but not sure your home life, but sure pays better than city and 10%. No one tells you what to do no bosses, just get a call and come in. freedom, etc

Just got back from first runs out. Ran to Durham, NC to bed then to Carlisle to bed then back to Dayton. It was fun walking into Carlisle having one of the guys remember me & say "I think your at the wrong terminal". I like the trucks - everyone seems to want to help. So far so good.

Just got back from first runs out. Ran to Durham, NC to bed then to Carlisle to bed then back to Dayton. It was fun walking into Carlisle having one of the guys remember me & say "I think your at the wrong terminal". I like the trucks - everyone seems to want to help. So far so good.

Good Luck Brother!!! I personally think you made good move... I don't have the faith in YRCW to make the good decisions for the company and workers to survive...

Hearing lots of YRC drivers are now putting in applications for Dayton. One 29 year driver said Indy relay manager came out told him that ABF called for work history verification. Manger told him as scare tactic "they told me it was for part time casual help".
YRC now knows they have hit that point of big driver exodus. "GET ON BOARD OR FIND SOME WHERE ELSE TO WORK! Mr. Welch said. Well sir, we have taken your advice. Good luck.

Hearing lots of YRC drivers are now putting in applications for Dayton. One 29 year driver said Indy relay manager came out told him that ABF called for work history verification. Manger told him as scare tactic "they told me it was for part time casual help".
YRC now knows they have hit that point of big driver exodus. "GET ON BOARD OR FIND SOME WHERE ELSE TO WORK! Mr. Welch said. Well sir, we have taken your advice. Good luck.
Paybacks are a ***** as we say here. I guess the Welcher forgot to include a no compete clause when he feigned the offer to buy ABF.

Thanks for the heads up on the uniform changes....I will definitely try and live up to your lofty vision tonight.....can you tell me do I tilt my hat to the right or left and where do I buy one of the iPod gizmo's....I guess I have been letting the company down wearing those full length pants and a belt? :D
I envision YRC as a company with nothing left working there but men who can't get jobs elsewhere. Wearing hats sideways, knee length shorts hanging down to the ground, i Pod hanging out of their ears etc. No insult intended to those who are still sticking around hoping and praying that they will recover, just giving my thoughts. I am happy for all who find a better place to be and wish them luck.

Thanks for the heads up on the uniform changes....I will definitely try and live up to your lofty vision tonight.....can you tell me do I tilt my hat to the right or left and where do I buy one of the iPod gizmo's....I guess I have been letting the company down wearing those full length pants and a belt? :D
I am not familiar with the significance of which way the hat tilts. i Pod can be bought almost anywhere, E bay and Best Buy would be two of the most popular. I take it you're good on the shorts since you didn't ask.

Question, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but anyway: Does ABF have any road drivers in Wisconsin? I have been led to believe that all of the road drivers come out of Illinois and come up into Wisconsin and then go back to the land of Lincoln. I was just wondering if this is true, I am always looking around at other possibilities for employment and I can cross ABF off of my list if indeed they do not have any road drivers in Wisconsin. Thanks

I also notice there is an OD driver on this topic, can you tell me: Do you guys really get paid like 7.50 for layover and breakdown and other misc. pay? If so I can cross OD off of my list also, this list gets shorter and shorter all the time! Are there any really good jobs out there anymore or do they all have there warts?

This is for the guys who`ve come from YRC, or anywhere really, and started over at ABF. What has been the hardest part for you? What is something maybe you thought would be difficult, but maybe has`nt been so bad? Honestly, I know it`s easy to say no, have you any regrets what so ever? I feel like the time to make a change, for me, is getting closer and closer, but it is still pretty scary to me . The one thing that really troubles me about ABF is the vacation schedule. Im just not sure about waiting 2 years for one week of vacation, seems so long when your used to 3 weeks. Any comments or opinions are appreciated.

abf called for city casual been at yrc 20 + give up everything for casual work plus I to get insurance have to set up for an interview see what they say on their plans any thoughts out there thanks t-scan

I am sure it's going to be a tough decision for you. The vacation thing sucks to say the least. No one who has made the move has been sorry about it. An interview is still far from a job offer and they can be slow at it. Your starting rate will be close to your rate at YRC if not better with top rate in 1 year. And pension is not denied but there are no pension contributions for a while (not sure how long). Good luck and hope it works out whichever way you go.

We hire another yrc guy today had 11 years with them, today he got his first punch & will be able to work full time starting 3/17 Tm said 30 days & he's on the list....

Funny how we hear 30 and on the list but then hear how a guy has to work as casual for 60 in 90 or whatever it is because the company won't do 30 and on. :shrug:

Funny how we hear 30 and on the list but then hear how a guy has to work as casual for 60 in 90 or whatever it is because the company won't do 30 and on. :shrug:
You can tell what the person works like in30 days no need to drag it on any longer.....

I've been reading on here that the lack of vacations for 2 years is the reason most won't move. After 1 year you will be making 10% more than YRC. Save the money & take time off without pay.