XPO | How many actual XPO employees are on Truckingboards?

Same here . These companies have ruined trucking for the drivers . I would NEVER recommend a young person get into it. My kids were encouraged to complete schooling and now make waaaay more then we make and work far less hours . Even for someone without education it’s not a good route . Working the equivalent of 2 full time jobs as we do is not worth the compensation.
I have told a few young guys to go to ups parcel though...

Good read 3 yrs old but still relevant.

“The case shines a light on an industry that has become tremendously exploitative over the last 40 years. In the 1960s and 70s, trucking was a lucrative profession with regular hours — drivers were taking home around $100,000 a year in today’s dollars. But things have changed drastically since the business was deregulated in 1980. In his 2000 book "Sweatshop on Wheels: Winners and Losers in Trucking Deregulation," analyst Michael H. Belzer sounded an alarm, writing that truckers’ median earnings had dropped 30 percent. Eighteen years later, things have gotten even worse: After factoring inflation, the wages for truckers have fallen since 2003.

These guys that brag their making 100k/yr have no idea how far they have fall behind based on the number of hours they put in to earn that . They will be talking years from now if their jobs aren’t out out sourced to owner operators how there making a 100 k still. Guys like Jacobs won’t be making 80 million a year they’ll be making 160 million and these guys here will still be justifying it .

Settlers

Last edited:
Im curious on everyone's thoughts as to why other trades pay seems to be more then in trucking, even with a driver shortage?

Im curious on everyone's thoughts as to why other trades pay seems to be more then in trucking, even with a driver shortage?
Deregulation and more important union decline. If the industry (Ltl) would gain more union representation among more companies things would change . Right now non union companies set the pay . Workers do not have say in anything. The trades in my area carpentry, electrical ect. Keep the wages high $40-60 /hr because of large union representation. The non union shops have a hard time getting work in this area due to a large union presence .
Things on the hiring front will not change until this is fixed . Companies will continue to lower the standard of what’s expectable a new hire candidates until they can’t go any lower .

You can’t say the money is not there because one only has to look to executive compensation and bonus to see it. (Proposed $80 million for Xpo executives)

Last edited:
Deregulation and more important union decline. If the industry (Ltl) would gain more union representation among more companies things would change . Right now non union companies set the pay . Workers do not have say in anything. The trades in my area carpentry, electrical ect. Keep the wages high $40-60 /hr because of large union representation. The non union shops have a hard time getting work in this area due to a large union presence .
Things on the hiring front will not change until this is fixed . Companies will continue to lower the standard of what’s expectable a new hire candidates until they can’t go any lower .

You can’t say the money is not there because one only has to look to executive compensation and bonus to see it. (Proposed $80 million for Xpo executives)
So why is it there is a heavier union presence in other trades then trucking? Seems like regulation was the only reason unions made a presence in trucking and as far as i know other trades never had regulation like trucking did.

Last edited:
So why is it there is a heavier union presence in other trades then trucking? Seems like regulation was the only reason unions made a presence in trucking and as far as i know other trades never had regulation like trucking did.
There was almost completely union work force in trucking (Ltl) prior to deregulation.

There was almost completely union work force in trucking (Ltl) prior to deregulation.
I understand that, but would there have even been union ltl companies back then without government regulation since most union companies closed after deregulation and why do other industries have a higher participation in unions then trucking? I don't know the answer that's why I'm asking?

I understand that, but would there have even been union ltl companies back then without government regulation since most union companies closed after deregulation and why do other industries have a higher participation in unions then trucking? I don't know the answer that's why I'm asking?

Craft unions operate differently than trucking. In the crafts, once you put in your time as an apprentice you are considered a journeyman and get full pay wherever you work in a union shop. In trucking you are considered an "apprentice" so to speak whenever you start a new job. However with the recent driver shortage that has gone by the wayside for the time being at least.

Craft unions operate differently than trucking. In the crafts, once you put in your time as an apprentice you are considered a journeyman and get full pay wherever you work in a union shop. In trucking you are considered an "apprentice" so to speak whenever you start a new job. However with the recent driver shortage that has gone by the wayside for the time being at least.
So who's fault is it that trucking has a different journeyman/apprenticeship program then other crafts? Maybe the union should try to change that in trucking.

I actually read the book sweatshop on wheels...he was right....its a tough read though, very dry......I wonder where Peachy is?...this union talk is right in his wheel house...lmao...I remember seeing a special report a long time ago with Bryant Gumbel about the Teamsters and trucking....he really let a trucking exec have it that day...Bryant seemed very pro union...lol

So who's fault is it that trucking has a different journeyman/apprenticeship program then other crafts? Maybe the union should try to change that in trucking.
As far as I understand , large corporations ( Wal-Mart , FedEx , XPO , Amazon to name a few ) lobby against laws allowing for trucking to be recognized as a skilled trade.

Could you imagine having your experience count ( no matter where you got your million miles ) AND having similar pay based on your experience no matter where you went?

Upnorth or PWB can chime in but doesn't Canada recognize CDL drivers as a skilled trade?

No offense to the union effort , but these are issues for ALL drivers. Along with standardized pay ( O/T after 8 and after 40 ) Also being paid for everything you do while you are at work.

As far as I understand , large corporations ( Wal-Mart , FedEx , XPO , Amazon to name a few ) lobby against laws allowing for trucking to be recognized as a skilled trade.

Could you imagine having your experience count ( no matter where you got your million miles ) AND having similar pay based on your experience no matter where you went?

Upnorth or PWB can chime in but doesn't Canada recognize CDL drivers as a skilled trade?

No offense to the union effort , but these are issues for ALL drivers. Along with standardized pay ( O/T after 8 and after 40 ) Also being paid for everything you do while you are at work.
It all goes back to the "drivers are a dime a dozen" mentally of Mgmt in days gone by. Years ago a sister in law of mine kept being nosey about how much money I made. I finally got agitated & told her. Her response was that's too much for driving a truck. I asked her if she liked driving in the rain in a lot of traffic. Her response was 'I hate it", I then asked how she would like rolling 80,000lbs down the road in the rain with idiots like her on the road. She went home but my wife laughed.

On a province by province basis. Ontario has recognized trucking as a skilled trade.

It all goes back to the "drivers are a dime a dozen" mentally of Mgmt in days gone by.
Said the same back in the driver pay thread

Though I believe the union is part of the problem...I have yet to see a contract that has a section of new hires experience. Isn't in the UPSF/Tforce contract that they start there new hires at 17 or 18 buck and hour while top pay near 30 and a 5yrs progression to the top. We can point finger which ever way we want but the ones that say they are here to defend driver are partly to blame for the problem

Though I believe the union is part of the problem...I have yet to see a contract that has a section of new hires experience. Isn't in the UPSF/Tforce contract that they start there new hires at 17 or 18 buck and hour while top pay near 30 and a 5yrs progression to the top. We can point finger which ever way we want but the ones that say they are here to defend driver are partly to blame for the problem
Oh pleeease ... that’s a real stretch even for ani Union you.

Oh pleeease ... that’s a real stretch even for ani Union you.
So how is it a stretch. Show a contract with a trucking company that has a section on pay when the driver has experience. These trade union do it why not trucking????? If a master electrician started a new job he his above all the Journeyman and Apprentice electrician at that company no matter how long they have been there......
Just think of the length these company would go to keep drivers know that your years of experience would count for something at a new job. 31 years no starting at the bottom as you say

So how is it a stretch. Show a contract with a trucking company that has a section on pay when the driver has experience. These trade union do it why not trucking????? If a master electrician started a new job he his above all the Journeyman and Apprentice electrician at that company no matter how long they have been there......
Just think of the length these company would go to keep drivers know that your years of experience would count for something at a new job. 31 years no starting at the bottom as you say
I have a family member that works at a automotive plant and several years ago agreed with a contract that created a 2 tier system with new hires being paid less, dosen't matter how much experience you have. The contract benefited current employees at the expense of new hires, seems to me lots of union contracts do that

Last edited:
We have talked about this stuff before...no LTL pays according to experience...union or non...i dont agree with it but nothing I can do about it...i have a question though and I truly hope that I'm wrong.. but how many of you guys have written congressmen or senators about driver compensation? I have...as far as voting on a contract I will say it again you vote on the contract as a whole, not even the president has a line item veto...and to peachys point no LTL has a 2 tier pay system....