TForce | How will SENIORITY be in the union?

This was asked also. Union stated as for transfers. If you are just a willing transfer you will go to the bottom of the classification. You'll retain your company seniority. As for vaca or lay-off. Now if a terminal is closing or merging. That's a whole different story.

Yes, It's always been that way at Overnite also. That's sounds fair to me...

As far as the model at Indy goes. There are 3 seniority lists. Road, casual(part-timers) and local cartage(city and dock with cdl's) no one without a cdl will be full time. The seniority works as follows- company seniority in classifacation, as far as layoffs company seniority over all prevails, with a bumping process, if a guy has to change classifacations. The bumping employee would go to the bottom of the list he bumped too.:1036316054:

I am a little confused....I agree with some of what you said and have read the contract myself and you have it correct with the 3 boards. Where I have a question is do we know for a FACT that there still will be classification senority? Good example is I transferred into the city p/d roster I am on and I have company senority of 3 people on that city p/d roster. So if it is company senority by classification when we get the contract after the 45 day posting period I will gain the 3 senority slots? I read it that way but I am getting mixed reviews from some folk!

That is for new hires after the contract is passed. If you ft now and don't have a cdl, you stay ft.

I second that....he is correct and this is a transportation company they have to have CDL employees so the future is to hire CDL only, makes sense! Maybe they will start a school to help these non-cdl part-timers and re load the UPGF gun that way!:1036316054:

I am a little confused....I agree with some of what you said and have read the contract myself and you have it correct with the 3 boards. Where I have a question is do we know for a FACT that there still will be classification senority? Good example is I transferred into the city p/d roster I am on and I have company senority of 3 people on that city p/d roster. So if it is company senority by classification when we get the contract after the 45 day posting period I will gain the 3 senority slots? I read it that way but I am getting mixed reviews from some folk!

If you do it will probably be after the fight.:hide: I think it will be the same as it is right now.:1036316054:

I have been to some Package hubs before and they have courses set up there, they actually had a package car with seats and windows like a bus where an instructor and "students" could all ride together.

If we are going to be teamsters we have a lot of studying to do. :biglaugh:
But maybe a union person can answer this question for me.

If a line or city driver transfers to another terminal does he or she go to the bottom till bid and then go where his or her seniority places him or her?
Or does he or she stay at the bottom and only uses his or her seniority for lay off and vacation purposes?

I'm not talking about if one is forced for closures.
Skeeter,
This is complicated so bear with me. As a rule there is no transferring from terminal to terminal under the NMFA just because you'd rather live and work somewhere else now. There are a few ways to end up at another terminal however.
1. Under a Change of Operations in which your terminal is losing work in your classification and the COO was approved you could sign up to consider a move to a gaining terminal. Depending on the size of the COO you might have many choices of where to move or maybe only one or two. A list is posted for 1 week at all losing terminals and those considering a move will sign it. A master seniority list is made from all of the losing terminals and there will be a conference call involving all losing terminals. You can move by a signed proxy or you can be present and make your mind up when your number comes up on the list. If your terminal is losing 3 jobs and 4 guys sign up to move and the first 3 move your terminal will be dropped from the call and the 4th guy will remain at your terminal. You do not have to move at all...you can pass at the time of your chance if the terminal you wanted to go to gets filled up before you bid...in other words if you want to go to Seattle and they're only gaining one driver and a senior man on the master list moves there nobody else can....once a gaining terminal is filled it is no longer open to move to. You could still move to wherever else was open or you could pass and stay in Sacramento. That's pretty much how a NMFA COO works. they just go down the list until everyplace is filled or there aren't any more drivers on the list to move. You keep all of your seniority in a COO move and the Company pays for your move.

The only other way to end up at another terminal in the Central is if you get laid off you can invoke an Article 5 Section 5 which is called Work Opportunity. A road driver laid off can ask for a move to a terminal who is hiring. You will pay for your own move and go to the bottom of their board. You are now at the bottom of the board and your full seniority is only recognized for fringe benefits only, not bidding or layoffs.

There is a thing in the Southern Region called Modified Seniority but it's way too confusing for me to try to explain since I've never worked in the Souther Region.

I'm sure I missed some small point or 2 in my explanation but I hope this gives you a general idea as to how it works for us. If you guys can transfer without all of these stipulations you may very well still be able to do so after being under contract.

Skeeter,
This is complicated so bear with me. As a rule there is no transferring from terminal to terminal under the NMFA just because you'd rather live and work somewhere else now. There are a few ways to end up at another terminal however.
1. Under a Change of Operations in which your terminal is losing work in your classification and the COO was approved you could sign up to consider a move to a gaining terminal. Depending on the size of the COO you might have many choices of where to move or maybe only one or two. A list is posted for 1 week at all losing terminals and those considering a move will sign it. A master seniority list is made from all of the losing terminals and there will be a conference call involving all losing terminals. You can move by a signed proxy or you can be present and make your mind up when your number comes up on the list. If your terminal is losing 3 jobs and 4 guys sign up to move and the first 3 move your terminal will be dropped from the call and the 4th guy will remain at your terminal. You do not have to move at all...you can pass at the time of your chance if the terminal you wanted to go to gets filled up before you bid...in other words if you want to go to Seattle and they're only gaining one driver and a senior man on the master list moves there nobody else can....once a gaining terminal is filled it is no longer open to move to. You could still move to wherever else was open or you could pass and stay in Sacramento. That's pretty much how a NMFA COO works. they just go down the list until everyplace is filled or there aren't any more drivers on the list to move. You keep all of your seniority in a COO move and the Company pays for your move.

The only other way to end up at another terminal in the Central is if you get laid off you can invoke an Article 5 Section 5 which is called Work Opportunity. A road driver laid off can ask for a move to a terminal who is hiring. You will pay for your own move and go to the bottom of their board. You are now at the bottom of the board and your full seniority is only recognized for fringe benefits only, not bidding or layoffs.

There is a thing in the Southern Region called Modified Seniority but it's way too confusing for me to try to explain since I've never worked in the Souther Region.

I'm sure I missed some small point or 2 in my explanation but I hope this gives you a general idea as to how it works for us. If you guys can transfer without all of these stipulations you may very well still be able to do so after being under contract.

How do you bid your vacations and city/road operations?

How do you bid your vacations and city/road operations?
In STL at Yellow we have 3 boards...road, city, dock. On the road we bid runs every April and October. During the April bid we also can bid vacations or we can leave it open and take them when we want as long as it's not a filled up week. We are allowed to have a minimum of 10% of the board on vacation each week. Most guys might bid a week or two and leave the rest open. We can also split up weeks and use a day here and a day there as we see fit. Bidding vacations varies from terminal to terminal.

As far as bidding the different classifications, we don't do it here in STL. If you were hired in one classification that's where you stay unless another classification is hiring...then you can move to that class ahead of new hires but you go to the bottom of the board and stay there. We had a guy a few years ago decide that because the road was slow and he only had 8 men below him he would move to the dock as they were hiring at the time. This was on a Tuesday. He worked Wed. and Thurs. on the dock...on Friday the road announced they were hiring and he moved back to the road, saying that he didn't know why he ever went to the dock since he hated dockwork. So, in 3 days he lost 8 spots on the road seniority list. The only places that allow you to pick your classification are at terminals who have a Master Seniority list and every 6 months or evey year you bid what you want to do. That's mainly an Eastern practice and not a Central one.

In STL at Yellow we have 3 boards...road, city, dock. On the road we bid runs every April and October. During the April bid we also can bid vacations or we can leave it open and take them when we want as long as it's not a filled up week. We are allowed to have a minimum of 10% of the board on vacation each week. Most guys might bid a week or two and leave the rest open. We can also split up weeks and use a day here and a day there as we see fit. Bidding vacations varies from terminal to terminal.

As far as bidding the different classifications, we don't do it here in STL. If you were hired in one classification that's where you stay unless another classification is hiring...then you can move to that class ahead of new hires but you go to the bottom of the board and stay there. We had a guy a few years ago decide that because the road was slow and he only had 8 men below him he would move to the dock as they were hiring at the time. This was on a Tuesday. He worked Wed. and Thurs. on the dock...on Friday the road announced they were hiring and he moved back to the road, saying that he didn't know why he ever went to the dock since he hated dockwork. So, in 3 days he lost 8 spots on the road seniority list. The only places that allow you to pick your classification are at terminals who have a Master Seniority list and every 6 months or evey year you bid what you want to do. That's mainly an Eastern practice and not a Central one.

this exactley how it is at our barn.So we do it just like the BIG BOYS.:1036316054:

This is the same way we do it now .We do it like the BIG BOYS:1036316054:

Not over here you wouldn't!!! Master list all the way. Seniority is sacred. Or should I say......Will Be!!!!:1036316054:
Hug,
Like I said in another thread here, Master seniority is mainly a Mid-Atlantic/Northeast thing only. I'm not aware of anywhere else having it. If it's what you're used to it'd be fine but it wouldn't go over at all in places that don't have it.

Hug,
Like I said in another thread here, Master seniority is mainly a Mid-Atlantic/Northeast thing only. I'm not aware of anywhere else having it.

Oh I know stldude. I read it, just busting your balls. You are right though, it is a northeast thing. Now if the rest of the country would get in line with us......everything would be just fine!!! :biglaugh:

Hug,
Like I said in another thread here, Master seniority is mainly a Mid-Atlantic/Northeast thing only. I'm not aware of anywhere else having it. If it's what you're used to it'd be fine but it wouldn't go over at all in places that don't have it.

Im from the EAST. Does that explain it???:1036316054: