Holland | I am the new recruiter and I want to know "whats up with Holland"

Must of thought the yes voters would tell her how great it is here and they would give back more for this great job.

If you work for the Main Holland office then I'm sorry to inform you but you are YRC. You are a puppet of YRC and will do exactly as YRC tells you. As for working at Holland, the company cares not for their employees or customers. An management will spend a lot of time and money trying to screw both over. Lots of made up and useless positions for friends of management that need a job. That is why we now have a recruiter. As an employee you are guilty until you can prove you are innocent. Do not break a nail performing your duties as you WILL be given a letter. This is the Smid way of managing. A pissed off employee will work harder for you. Of course if this were true Holland would make a Billion dollars per quarter. The equipment was good but we sold off all the good trailers to keep room for the Red Star crap that was given to us. Getting "new" tractors but they do have 3 million Yellow freight miles on them but they are new to us so we need to be happy. We did own our terminals but Yellow needed to burn some cash so they were sold off. If you want to be a part time dock worker the only qualification is a face because we have photo ID's. Shall I get into the incompetence of the management or do you have enough to sell your product?

This really hits the nail on the head. Guilty until proven innocent.

I am the new Holland Recruiter? That's a good one whoever you are. Very funny. But I will say this since this is a public forum and anybody can read this (Maybe some Holland Management also) Wonder why you can't hire, and the people you have are quitting? I'll put it in a nutshell, YRCW/Teamsters has destroyed morale, pay, working conditions, Write ridiculous letters of discipline for/to driver who don't deserve them. We now have management that hasn't a clue. The old Holland company is a thing of the past and is too far gone to come back. Holland used to be the best. All I can say is if you are looking for a job here,don't, it will be not what you expect.

Wow, I started at American Freightways, and now we are FedEx, the same happened here, I am a number and I work for the paycheck only. No family here, just business.

Been with Holland 15 years, do my job with pride, get treated with respect and don't whine about everything like some of my co-workers.

I believe the "brain dead" part-timers- the ones we have keep asking "are we done yet?" The sad part is they just started. The minute they ask me that- I would say yes, and there's the door. Our company I unfortunately work for released 8 "Full timers" that had over 15 years experience, that can do the work of 20 of these "part-timers. The freight's destroyed and the customers are leaving. Our management doesn't see it or care anymore. Our management changes like the seasons too.

Maybe if Holland or other union companies would "hire" full-time drivers/workers, there wouldn't be any issues. If you're told to go work for YRC (now),and come back when we pick up, why bother. I don't care if it "adds to my union time". Either you want a worker or you don't, hire a useless casual who has the "useless attitude" and see what you get. In '98 a p.o.c. terminal manager said I could safely leave a job I had over 10 years- to work here and that would not happen and being as busy as they were, being a casual would probably not be long, since I "had good experience" in p/u and delivery in that area for over 15 years. I was later told about being an A employee and a B employee, I guess I was a B employee since I came, with too much experience, from a non-union company- which meant I was a casual indefinitly. The useless careless A employee, with much less experience, because he came from one of the disappearing union companies, would be hired within 30 days versus me being hired at all or within 90 days. That's the union mentality of using five people to change a light bulb versus one person SAFELY doing so, in the non union company atmosphere- let's see who can be more competitive now. The same thing was offered to a friend of mine who left a job of 15 or 20 years only to be let go because of a non preventable accident within 3 months or so, of being hired at Holland. Being honest did him in, I should have known better. I was HAPPILY working 5 or 6 weeks when my incident "happened", of course if your not on the dock, your union brothers can't protect you. Starting the late afternoon shift, loading your trailer was required, and securing freight along with a pallet jack that worked, was a joke, there were none left!. On my second from last delivery, only going "next door" I had the previous customer put the freight of my next customer near the tail for a fingerprint , no dock , no forklift customer- since I did not have, or acquire, a pallet jack, let alone a two wheel cart that had ONE wheel on it, the heavy pallet was secured, no problem. Not aware of the small loose paint can, a pint, no more- rolled off, up and down my trailer, it opened of course. The customer accepted the freight minus one can, and I thought that was the end of it. (It was even cleaned up...) Being HONEST, dispatch was made aware of it, along with management when I returned that night and next day. Well, that was my last day and last call. Holland could not say I was fired for legal or union reasons I guess. If they say "no work" for more than two weeks , I guess that's Holland's and most of your union's way of legally not letting YOU know- your fired. At least with non union companies, the first page of many applications tell you that you are an "at will" employee, not casual. What's the difference? I was burned at UPS as a feeder driver to, "full time seasonal/casual" should have been a red flag. At least being an "at will" employee, you can leave your job without notice, when THEY need you most, to go to better places... Since Holland and all four of the union companies left, at the time had hundreds, if not thousands of casuals floating around or sitting in a pay pool, I was dispensible. I don't care anymore. It's not worth the headache. There are alot of small family companies with benefits that no large company can match, if you know how to invest, (easy now...) you'll be much happier and richer for it. Holland was a well run company don't get me wrong- at the time I was there the equipment was good, the city dispatch was the best, and even working the dock and yard was fun-too good to be true. The money earning potential was limitless, if that's hard to believe. I would still be there if no for that. I am happy(ier) where I am at now. Good luck to all, I hope Holland can seperate itself from YRC soon, before it's too late. Eight cents a share, how pathetic, the writings on the wall. A Holland job would be worth holding onto when yrc is gone, if that's possible...P.S. the manager I heard was fired probably went back to Estes or AF (FedEx Freight) where he crawled out of. He would not acknowledge me when I left, I said my Family appreciates this, he probably could have cared less. I hope he works for Vitran, a little better than HELL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe if Holland or other union companies would "hire" full-time drivers/workers, there wouldn't be any issues. If you're told to go work for YRC (now),and come back when we pick up, why bother. I don't care if it "adds to my union time". Either you want a worker or you don't, hire a useless casual who has the "useless attitude" and see what you get. In '98 a p.o.c. terminal manager said I could safely leave a job I had over 10 years- to work here and that would not happen and being as busy as they were, being a casual would probably not be long, since I "had good experience" in p/u and delivery in that area for over 15 years. I was later told about being an A employee and a B employee, I guess I was a B employee since I came, with too much experience, from a non-union company- which meant I was a casual indefinitly. The useless careless A employee, with much less experience, because he came from one of the disappearing union companies, would be hired within 30 days versus me being hired at all or within 90 days. That's the union mentality of using five people to change a light bulb versus one person SAFELY doing so, in the non union company atmosphere- let's see who can be more competitive now. The same thing was offered to a friend of mine who left a job of 15 or 20 years only to be let go because of a non preventable accident within 3 months or so, of being hired at Holland. Being honest did him in, I should have known better. I was HAPPILY working 5 or 6 weeks when my incident "happened", of course if your not on the dock, your union brothers can't protect you. Starting the late afternoon shift, loading your trailer was required, and securing freight along with a pallet jack that worked, was a joke, there were none left!. On my second from last delivery, only going "next door" I had the previous customer put the freight of my next customer near the tail for a fingerprint , no dock , no forklift customer- since I did not have, or acquire, a pallet jack, let alone a two wheel cart that had ONE wheel on it, the heavy pallet was secured, no problem. Not aware of the small loose paint can, a pint, no more- rolled off, up and down my trailer, it opened of course. The customer accepted the freight minus one can, and I thought that was the end of it. (It was even cleaned up...) Being HONEST, dispatch was made aware of it, along with management when I returned that night and next day. Well, that was my last day and last call. Holland could not say I was fired for legal or union reasons I guess. If they say "no work" for more than two weeks , I guess that's Holland's and most of your union's way of legally not letting YOU know- your fired. At least with non union companies, the first page of many applications tell you that you are an "at will" employee, not casual. What's the difference? I was burned at UPS as a feeder driver to, "full time seasonal/casual" should have been a red flag. At least being an "at will" employee, you can leave your job without notice, when THEY need you most, to go to better places... Since Holland and all four of the union companies left, at the time had hundreds, if not thousands of casuals floating around or sitting in a pay pool, I was dispensible. I don't care anymore. It's not worth the headache. There are alot of small family companies with benefits that no large company can match, if you know how to invest, (easy now...) you'll be much happier and richer for it. Holland was a well run company don't get me wrong- at the time I was there the equipment was good, the city dispatch was the best, and even working the dock and yard was fun-too good to be true. The money earning potential was limitless, if that's hard to believe. I would still be there if no for that. I am happy(ier) where I am at now. Good luck to all, I hope Holland can seperate itself from YRC soon, before it's too late. Eight cents a share, how pathetic, the writings on the wall. A Holland job would be worth holding onto when yrc is gone, if that's possible...P.S. the manager I heard was fired probably went back to Estes or AF (FedEx Freight) where he crawled out of. He would not acknowledge me when I left, I said my Family appreciates this, he probably could have cared less. I hope he works for Vitran, a little better than HELL.
How do I respond to this autobiography? I'll just differ to Northern Flash for this one.

Misfit is on a Holland forum with an Overnite avatar bitching about working at Fedex Freight.

Only a truck driver lol

Really, how much longer do you think you'll be working? I'm sure when you are starving, an evil non union company will accept you (DFL) and not to mention- their check will look pretty good (and spends the same) by then. Better than GM money. They'll probably treat you well, and fair too. (I know, "If not for union companies- the world would have come to an end".) Just remember your biggest union brother -the gov't, and what they are doing for you and GM- It's funny when you go to a union job how they seem to ignore you or make you "eat crow" when you come from a non union company (a "B" driver), they usually tell you to "slow down"!. A Dayton Freight joke, "DFL, where all Holland/ and other union "casualities" end up" or are accepted. (I'm being nice...) Not the same if that was reversed, not so funny now- when it might be your future.

The FedEx companies seem to be doing well, where do you think all the Ex-YRC drivers/customers, will be, or are going to- when the #@!$ hits the fan? Fedex is aligning, preparing for this, and if YRC goes non union, (their only hope) the more the merrier, we are ahead of that game. Central transport, or Vitran/Overland (I know, non union) anyone? So much for union loyalty. You probably were TOLD how to vote too- the union party way. I'm tripping over all the freight from the jobs created. When all is said and done, who do you think will have all the freight? Definitly not UPSF, their customers "love" them. Maybe Conway- FedEx doesn't want their drivers either, and we know ABF's skeleton crew could not handle it, or want it, not to mention the overflow of drivers either, please don't destroy them. Who's left? Someone has to pay for the life guard for the union pool of the "unemployed or employable." Oh, that's the auto unions- doesn't apply to you. If I recall, FedEx has over 5 companies that can "handle it all", that is- your freight, when that day comes. CF used Conway, remember? You left the shippers no choice. They (ex-union) are such happy people to work with, they always seem to be b@!@#*ing that they can't keep up the pace or want to take everyone down with them. Sorry, no third party or steward here, deal with it. They seem to spend more time in the breakroom or parked on the shoulder sleeping or resting- so when they go home, they can spend all that "quality time" with their families. It's a union right, you know that.

An ex-union employee (sorry, brother) "crawling" to a non-union co. to work- is sort of like seeing one driving a Toyota or Honda in upper Michigan, ducking. Are you driving one of them too, now? I drive a Mercury by the way. Non union companies won't destroy your Honda or Toyota, etc., when parked in their lots, since they are made (I know assembled, stupid me or "my bad" for illiterates) in America, by those overpaid non union workers. (I know thanks, unions.) The truth hurts. I worked for both American Freightways and Overnite SSD before they were purchased by FedEx and UPS (pathetic union for Overnite, not the same "class" union as a feeder, "I've been told."). They are the new union and non union companies. YRC is #3. Funny how they (UPS) didnt' want the union baggage of the great YRC and other union companies, did they know something? Why not purchase another union company?? Out of of 140 so original union companies, how many are left? Two? Don't include UPS feeder- if I'm correct, UPS feeder wants nothing to do with that, I think if I'm correct, they bought there way out, having that money go to the "future unemployed" pool. A union purchasing a non-union co? That would have not happened in the past ,whoa!, what power to stop it, or boycott something.- I guess you were too busy to start one, or your home or lifestyle would be forclosed. OR maybe the non-union companies were unprofitable, oops, unproductive, oops reverse that. You know what I mean- they purchased them to learn "How to be productive AND profitable."

Maybe someday one of my "FedEx people" will be training you how to WORK on our docks and retrain you how to DRIVE a tractor trailer, "on-time"- that's the object, in the future, they won't care or be prejudice either, or make you "eat crow". They'll probably take you out for a beer afterwards, they are human, afterwards, not brainwashed, another myth.

For your information, I am happy to be working for FedEx Freight, Formally American Freightways, ( I could not find or make an AF avitar, sorry) a very profitable and productive company, in less than 20 years, American Freightways did what it took most, if not all, other freight companies to do and are still trying, in 100 years. Are you happy where you work now, brother?

Last edited by a moderator: