FedEx Freight | If we MERGE

I dont know why a lot of the freight guys are on here making some of these comments if they are indeed freight guys... Its almost like they are implying national is the only one thats going to get the short end of the stick if we do indeed merge.. I mean Fred or whomever could come in merge us and make a complete overhaul of both companies and make 1 big 1... Its going to be really funny this week if the only annoucement is that of quarterly earnings coming out early which usually means we made money... I dont know why drivers are so worried about it .. Id be sweating it alot more if I was in some type of higher up managment posistion... Freight and National have X amount of total bids they have to cover on a daily basis across the country... Whatever amount of drivers that are in the system now cannot get smaller I would think... The only thing that will change will be the bottom pack of guys get bigger.. I can only help but to think by offically merging there will be only more work to go around .. Thats just me.

I am with you disciple !!! With Obama giving companies tax breaks on purchasing new equipment I think Fred is in a better posistion to buy some trucks to get rid of the contracters at ground... IF he does do that things are going to be looking up... Even for those at the bottoms of the boards now... Ground out of memphis has something like 300 bids leaving out daily between the 2 centers... Freight and National combined out of Memphis dont even have 300 together...

I dont know why a lot of the freight guys are on here making some of these comments if they are indeed freight guys... Its almost like they are implying national is the only one thats going to get the short end of the stick if we do indeed merge.. I mean Fred or whomever could come in merge us and make a complete overhaul of both companies and make 1 big 1... Its going to be really funny this week if the only annoucement is that of quarterly earnings coming out early which usually means we made money... I dont know why drivers are so worried about it .. Id be sweating it alot more if I was in some type of higher up managment posistion... Freight and National have X amount of total bids they have to cover on a daily basis across the country... Whatever amount of drivers that are in the system now cannot get smaller I would think... The only thing that will change will be the bottom pack of guys get bigger.. I can only help but to think by offically merging there will be only more work to go around .. Thats just me.

Try this on for size...I believe you are right on the money...(pun intended!)

FedEx Corp. Increases Earnings Outlook | FedEx Global Newsroom

Rat

national linehaul will be gone and absorbed by harrison, some freight terminals will close and most national terms will close, all will be done in three months after the announcement.

national linehaul will be gone and absorbed by harrison, some freight terminals will close and most national terms will close, all will be done in three months after the announcement.
not likely, they still have high hopes of YRC going under. no way they are going to limit capacity now to just freight terminals

not likely, they still have high hopes of YRC going under. no way they are going to limit capacity now to just freight terminals

Yea that's what I mean right there. With the earnings outlook positive and the 100% equipment expense write off for 2011, I just don't see any kind of scale back being logical. It all points towards growth in the next year.

Here is my take on the matter...which means absolutely nothing!

Freight and National will remain separate entities internally.

There may some merging in areas where there is not enough volume to justify separate facilities. If that happens then the two OpCos will perhaps merge into the same facility and may haul each others freight...based upon whatever is the most profitable option.

The larger markets...IE. Chicago...Atlanta...Dallas...just to name a few will most likely remain visibly separate companies...as they should.

But in smaller markets the idea of having two separate and distinct facilities is overkill...as they could be merged into one.

This will be invisible to the customer and as far as they know the two OpCos will be two separate and distinct entities. The main difference will be on the internal side...as two OpCos under one roof..

Both Freight and National have their respective customers and markets...and they each target specific services offered to the customers.

That being said there is no reason to believe that FedEx is going to abandon a specific market. There is a market for the National service...and it will continue to be so.

In the smaller areas/markets separate facilities for the most part makes no sense...and may be combined...but kept separate in their operations.

Also take into consideration the following...a 100% write off for capital expenditure purchases is going to cause a great many companies to make purchases they otherwise would put off and will generate additional business outside and inside...unfortunately the YRC question continues...if...when...or what???...who knows???...but every carrier must be prepared for whatever happens or doesn't happen.

The volume remains and requires a specific level of capacity to handle it...there isn't any real threat to our jobs...maybe some inconvenience...but everyone will still here after the dust settles.

Just my take...which means absolutely squat!

Rat

I get a real kick out of hearing guys talk about how we can't handle much more capacity or everybody is still gonna be working. Odviously no one on here are one of 50 extra board drivers in harrisburg, 30 in ChR, 30 in ccn, etc etc etc. Look down the ladder fellas, it's not very rosey

Here is my take on the matter...which means absolutely nothing!

Freight and National will remain separate entities internally.

There may some merging in areas where there is not enough volume to justify separate facilities. If that happens then the two OpCos will perhaps merge into the same facility and may haul each others freight...based upon whatever is the most profitable option.

The larger markets...IE. Chicago...Atlanta...Dallas...just to name a few will most likely remain visibly separate companies...as they should.

But in smaller markets the idea of having two separate and distinct facilities is overkill...as they could be merged into one.

This will be invisible to the customer and as far as they know the two OpCos will be two separate and distinct entities. The main difference will be on the internal side...as two OpCos under one roof..

Both Freight and National have their respective customers and markets...and they each target specific services offered to the customers.

That being said there is no reason to believe that FedEx is going to abandon a specific market. There is a market for the National service...and it will continue to be so.

In the smaller areas/markets separate facilities for the most part makes no sense...and may be combined...but kept separate in their operations.

Also take into consideration the following...a 100% write off for capital expenditure purchases is going to cause a great many companies to make purchases they otherwise would put off and will generate additional business outside and inside...unfortunately the YRC question continues...if...when...or what???...who knows???...but every carrier must be prepared for whatever happens or doesn't happen.

The volume remains and requires a specific level of capacity to handle it...there isn't any real threat to our jobs...maybe some inconvenience...but everyone will still here after the dust settles.

Just my take...which means absolutely squat!

Rat

That all makes sense to me also. But I'm like you, my take on it all don't mean squat either...:shrug:

national linehaul will be gone and absorbed by harrison

What does this mean? "absorbed by harrison" All of your post are written as facts. How do you know? Who are your sources? If not true and not verifiable then you are flaming here. Why?

Yea sharpshooter I agree with you... Those guys at the bottom arent working much.. I typically ask every morning when I come in if they called everyone. It seems though a lot of the guys at the bottom arent intrested in city work... They may not call them for a line haul run but sometimes have they trailers to shuttle back and forth from freight and the rail yard and they tend to stay home and not do that... I dunno how it is at other centers but in memphis thats how it is... But there again I have heard bids canceling as well and then those guys that get their bids canceled go above everyone that hasnt been called yet... Unfortunately this is how the LTL buisness is. There is either not enough drivers or too many... Unless National adobts some sort of call block policy that lets the more senior guys on the extra board turn down shorter runs waiting for a longer ones to choose from I dont see any way to change it.. I have heard rumors that national will be going to some type of call block system in the future ...

Steelmiller I read that post as well very funny.... There seems to be a lot of people on here giving their opinions and putting off as fact... Most people that are "IN THE KNOW" are way above a drivers pay grade and scale and arent posting in here.... That doesnt mean however that stuff doesnt get leaked... National is already sharing terminals up and down the east coast with frieght.... And vice versa on the west coast.... We will all found out soon and as I said before it is going to be real funny just to find out we made money and nothing is going to happen..LOL

I agree with stonecoldx

If there was a link to any of these (rumors) on here, then you may want to take them seriously, otherwise, take them as a (rumor) and go on with your day. Try not to take everything so seriously, That's what these boards are for, sharing information, true or false, or (rumor). Fedex Corp could shut the whole thing down tomorrow, and you know what any of us could do about it, not a damb thing. We would just pick up what we have and move on with our lives!

Jeff, I see some of the forums have a (rumor) thread at the top. Maybe it would be a good idea to have one in all the forums, and people could read what threads they wanted, since some of us are bothered by (rumors). That way, if you don't want to read (rumors), you shouldn't click on the (rumor) thread.

Hope everybody has a great day.:1036316054:

Has anyone heard the rumor about getting rid of all contractors at ground and using National and Freight power only units to move it city to city then using express drivers to deliver the packages ???

I heard this also, but I doubt it, ground makes way to much money for Fred with the O/O to mess with it, even with all the trouble they have had recently.

Rodedawg I think there is some validity to a lot that is posted on here.. Merger talk has been going on since fed ex bought watkins... Freight and national are both on the same computer system and fed ex spent a lot of money merging the 2 systems.. We just recently went to the same pay scale and weeky settlements... Eventually all standards and policies will be mirrored at national with freights... We are both under the corporate umbrella of Fed Ex corp.. For all intensive purposes we are the same company... All we are really talking about is merging overlapping work.. Which is being done... I have buddies that work on the freight dock in memphis and he is breaking national's freight all the time just as national is doing with some of freights freight. The only thing I would be worried about if at all is if they ever combine the boards and bids..

Chigger I highly doubt it as well the only thing that made any sense is the fact that Obama is giving that tax break to companies that want to expand by buying equipment and building facilities... Fred was on the local news here in memphis stating that the tax break freed up a lot of money for fed ex to expand its operations... Whether that meant buying planes, trucks or building new terminals who knows... Most of the drivers that are running those bids dont own the trucks they are driving.. They are driving for the contracters who own those bids making 37cpm... The question is can fred make more money off of ground by moving those packages with his own trucks and people ??? If he can I think he will do it... I think most of those guys driving for those contractors would give their eye teeth to drive for fed ex and make 57CPM and 11 bucks an assembly or disassembly... Think if they ever combined all bids from freight, National and ground and made one huge board that every driver in the area could bid on... There would be a lot of guys EVEN THOSE ON THE EXTRA board that would immediately be very happy....

@rodedawg This is a forum, just like any other forum on the web - except it deals with our jobs. All forums have a set of rules (official and unofficial) that govern posting etiquette. When someone posts a rumor as fact to elicit negative counter-posts it is considered "flaming" and they are a "troll" and are "trolling" the thread.

Rumors don't bother me, that is why most of us are here. I am however, bothered by someone "flaming" about something that is so sensitive an issue to most of us. It is different to post, "I heard from a mechanic in Sacramento that our trucks are getting turned up to 85mph" than "You will all be fired on Friday". The intent of the poster is what I am calling into question, not the concept of rumor vs fact.

Chigger I highly doubt it as well the only thing that made any sense is the fact that Obama is giving that tax break to companies that want to expand by buying equipment and building facilities... Fred was on the local news here in memphis stating that the tax break freed up a lot of money for fed ex to expand its operations... Whether that meant buying planes, trucks or building new terminals who knows... Most of the drivers that are running those bids dont own the trucks they are driving.. They are driving for the contracters who own those bids making 37cpm... The question is can fred make more money off of ground by moving those packages with his own trucks and people ??? If he can I think he will do it... I think most of those guys driving for those contractors would give their eye teeth to drive for fed ex and make 57CPM and 11 bucks an assembly or disassembly... Think if they ever combined all bids from freight, National and ground and made one huge board that every driver in the area could bid on... There would be a lot of guys EVEN THOSE ON THE EXTRA board that would immediately be very happy....

Oh yea, I agree, but there is no way Fred can buy the fuel,pay 57 cpm and bennies and the insurance,tags and everything it takes to run just the truck, cheaper than the O/O can pull it. It is a very lucrative set up he has at ground. Now if the lawsuits and everything else starts to turn on him, yea you bettcha he will change it, but I don't think its even close to that yet.