ODFL | Kenworth?

Agree..The volvo are not for big people.Also,the volvo air valve's are opposite placement than the freightliner.So I have to be really careful.Also I hate the steering wheel on volvo because of the air bag.The middle stick's up higher than outer part of steering wheel.
I hate a Volvo steering wheel. Come to think of it, I hate a Volvo. My dad owns three of those pieces of crap. I was always going to rescue some of his freight off of a Volvo on the fritz with some unknown electrical gremlin. And good luck taking it to Vovlo. They can't even fix their own truck. One more thing the US got out of Europe that's a rip off

That would be an awful idea costwise, its very expensive to stock parts for more than a few types of equipment and training for the technicians to service them. Thats why traditionally LTL fleets are usually identified with one type of truck.

I agree but we need more trucks. If Freightliner can't meet the demand we need to do something. As long as we can stick with the power plant that we run, and KW runs Cummins, I would think the training for maintenance would be minimal. Especially since the new units would be under warranty and probably have to be worked on by KW.

Here's another reason having too many makes of equipment is expensive, Don't know if this is still true (or ever was) but our techs were F/L certified,if they did warranted repairs on our equipment OD was actually paid dealer rates to make those repairs, helping the bottom line.

Almost seems like they're shopping for a tractor with a reliable automatic transmission to start transitioning from manuals. Seems like from what I've read, KW boasts a healthy trans and a fuel efficient system. It would make sense to stick with the ISX but they seem to boast more about their power plant and trans as being the most efficient. I don't blame them for testing the waters in search of the most efficient tractor possible seeing how much every "extra" .10 of a mpg acquired adds up so quickly.

I saw an older Mack tonight at ALN, I think they're a pretty nice looking truck as well.

Here's another reason having too many makes of equipment is expensive, Don't know if this is still true (or ever was) but our techs were F/L certified,if they did warranted repairs on our equipment OD was actually paid dealer rates to make those repairs, helping the bottom line.

I didn't know they were FL certified, when I was at Con-way truckload all warranty work went to KW even though that's all we had in the fleet. Our guys weren't certified.

I didn't know they were FL certified, when I was at Con-way truckload all warranty work went to KW even though that's all we had in the fleet. Our guys weren't certified.
It all depend's on where you at.GBO send's warranty work out to freightliner&Covington Diesel .Also have tech's come to the shop.Talking to boss in shop this evening.The volvo auto's we are testing are not getting the fuel mileage&locking out manual side is hurting pulling.We haven't got the Kenworth's yet.The neg side of them I think will be price.They are higher price than Freightliner's&Volvo's.I just don't see them buying Kenworth's because of price.But,that just my 2 cent.

If they were more strict on the habitual ROI offenders I think they'd pick up quite a bit in MPG with what we have. I know there are times with a Detroit where the sweet spot on a climb is just 1600rpms but there are plenty of people that keep it balls to the wall from start to finish. I typically hover between .01-.03 with a mix of terrain without focusing on trying to get a good score and mpg I'd say is upper 7s. I don't see how some guys who run single consistently hit 1.00's with 3+ scores in OvrRPM and healthy Short Idles to match.

I'm not trying to stir up any bull mess but considering how the company is generous with sharing profits.... When I see consistently high ROIs cutting MPG, with each offender I see a few pennies dribbling out of my future savings account.

As I'd mentioned on here before, we had the Eaton SmartShift autos in the trucks at my previous job in like model Freightliners. They were junk at the minimal weights we pulled with them consistently searching between gears when parameters weren't just right and sometimes going in to fault mode causing them to stick in a high gear and having to coast to a stop then fight with the thing to trick it to release in to N.

KW seems to have caused a lot of hype with their natural gas setup and auto trans. I'd imagine KW is letting OD test these trucks for free or minimal costs so OD said "why not?"

I like the idea that they're staying on top of things and looking to expand the success that the company has experienced in recent years.

Did they not learn in 2004 it's not good to lock out the manual side didn't take long for them to unlock it then after a team truck bout lost its brakes going down a grade in utah if there going to run automatic then we need to be able to downshift them for the grades

If they were more strict on the habitual ROI offenders I think they'd pick up quite a bit in MPG with what we have. I know there are times with a Detroit where the sweet spot on a climb is just 1600rpms but there are plenty of people that keep it balls to the wall from start to finish. I typically hover between .01-.03 with a mix of terrain without focusing on trying to get a good score and mpg I'd say is upper 7s. I don't see how some guys who run single consistently hit 1.00's with 3+ scores in OvrRPM and healthy Short Idles to match.

I'm not trying to stir up any bull mess but considering how the company is generous with sharing profits.... When I see consistently high ROIs cutting MPG, with each offender I see a few pennies dribbling out of my future savings account.

As I'd mentioned on here before, we had the Eaton SmartShift autos in the trucks at my previous job in like model Freightliners. They were junk at the minimal weights we pulled with them consistently searching between gears when parameters weren't just right and sometimes going in to fault mode causing them to stick in a high gear and having to coast to a stop then fight with the thing to trick it to release in to N.

KW seems to have caused a lot of hype with their natural gas setup and auto trans. I'd imagine KW is letting OD test these trucks for free or minimal costs so OD said "why not?"

I like the idea that they're staying on top of things and looking to expand the success that the company has experienced in recent years.
Volvo's are on 6 month's
Did they not learn in 2004 it's not good to lock out the manual side didn't take long for them to unlock it then after a team truck bout lost its brakes going down a grade in utah if there going to run automatic then we need to be able to downshift them for the grades
The new Volvo seem's to do good about downshifting.My understanding is the new one&new auto system's that are comin out will adjust to downgrade.But,I would rather have the option in my hand instead of trusting some electronic pc

That's the thing, I know technology has come a long way, but it can fail. As long as I'm not an idiot and drop a driveline, as long as I adjust to proper speed/rpm that thing WILL go into the gear I want it to.

Saw a picture. They have black bumpers. It's not the type of Kenworth to be excited for lol, kind of has the face only a mother could love like those new FXF KW's.

Saw a picture. They have black bumpers. It's not the type of Kenworth to be excited for lol, kind of has the face only a mother could love like those new FXF KW's.
I think they are nice looking.I just can't see them buying any.They are higher priced than anything else we drive.I've just seen them from distance&picture also.

You would be surprised on the price. My company had all Volvos but we got some new Pete's and they are a tad bit cheaper. Granted some of them have had some trouble but so have the Volvos. I drive for First Fleet out of Tn. The Pete's are nice but I prefer my Volvo.

I think they are nice looking.I just can't see them buying any.They are higher priced than anything else we drive.I've just seen them from distance&picture also.

You are right, I don't think we will be seeing many of these. Would look better with a white bumper.