FedEx Freight | Lack Of Work

Isn’t it crazy how they put out a memo from the CEO of the company so everyone would be on the same page yet so many different scenarios are put out by various SCM’s??

That just says they did a horrible job with that memo. It doesn't answer any questions. It ends saying the details are up to local leadership depending on volume at each center. That memo says:

1) This is what do at FedEx
2) COVID 19 had these effects
3) This is what a furlough is
4) More details to come, check in with local leadership.

There's no solid information in that memo.

That just says they did a horrible job with that memo. It doesn't answer any questions. It ends saying the details are up to local leadership depending on volume at each center. That memo says:

You may want to re-read the 3rd paragraph...not only does it explain what a furlough is, it also explains what to expect should you “move into furlough status as a result of the COVID-19 situation” which is a four month extension of your healthcare coverage and you’ll maintain your eligibility for unemployment.

For those in the class who have trouble comprehending, “move into furlough status” includes voluntary or by force and “as business circumstances allow” means you’ll return IF the freight volumes have returned.

I am gonna have to go with RedRacer on this one. I would go by the official memo and not a SCM

Your correct.
It doesn't give a time frame.
It gives no assurance if you take voluntary furlough that you will be called back.
Why not just give the furlough in two month increments?
You'd get more volunteers and peoples seniority would be honored.
As well as a lot lower chance of losing drivers.
I guess that's to simple.

So now that we have that all straightened lets go onto the next guesses.

I always bid Extra board because I hate doing the same thing. If many people are gone and I no longer want to be on XB and want to take a bid can I do so, will they rebid or am I stuck on XB when lower seniority drivers have bids.

I always bid Extra board because I hate doing the same thing. If many people are gone and I no longer want to be on XB and want to take a bid can I do so, will they rebid or am I stuck on XB when lower seniority drivers have bids.
You've been here as long as I have so if we go by what’s been done in the past, they’ll rebid once the furloughs start and they’ll rebid again after the furloughs end.

You've been here as long as I have so if we go by what’s been done in the past, they’ll rebid once the furloughs start and they’ll rebid again after the furloughs end.
Thats what I am thinking too I may have to run me a bid for a while, hopefully not long

Your correct.
It doesn't give a time frame.
It gives no assurance if you take voluntary furlough that you will be called back.
Why not just give the furlough in two month increments?
You'd get more volunteers and peoples seniority would be honored.
As well as a lot lower chance of losing drivers.
I guess that's to simple.
Good suggestions but I’d rather see them implement 4 day work weeks for everyone until this thing passes, that way everyone works and no one is furloughed...but I can see where your suggestion would work for those who’d rather take time off and not work at all, especially at centers where 4 day work weeks still wouldn’t be enough to offset those not working.

You may want to re-read the 3rd paragraph...not only does it explain what a furlough is, it also explains what to expect should you “move into furlough status as a result of the COVID-19 situation” which is a four month extension of your healthcare coverage and you’ll maintain your eligibility for unemployment.

For those in the class who have trouble comprehending, “move into furlough status” includes voluntary or by force and “as business circumstances allow” means you’ll return IF the freight volumes have returned.

I read it, it doesn't answer anything. Yes, I get all of the corporate gibberish. What we want to know is

1) If I volunteer for furlough, can I come back before layoffs if that happens and reclaim my spot?

2) How long before furlough turns into layoffs?

3) Do they tell us we're laid off? Do we assume we're laid off if we don't hear from anyone? How do we get updates?

These are questions that could've been answered, but they chose not to. They gave us some bs "we're all in this together" memo.

Thats what I am thinki.ng too I may have to run me a bid for a while, hopefully not long

When we ran a seniority extra board, we had senior drivers that wouldn't run a bid.
They could make a lot more money working every 8 hrs.
I was the opposite, I always wanted a bid, however I did run the Carolina board (turns only) during football season
and never missed my son's ball games.
This furlough thing may need some thinking, Fedx or no one knows when it will end, 3 mos. 6 mos. or even years.
I would think twice about any volunteering

Im a senior driver and probably going to take a 4 month vacation, im not losing my job, where do people come up with this crap ? If in 4 mos and things haven't turned around the guys on the bottom will lose their's
We were told those that take the furlough go first, by taking the furlough you are volunteering to give up your job if things dont improve inside of 6 months.

Just a hypothetical.... what if the company offered up a 4 month voluntary furlough by company seniority (with premiums paid) with a guarantee that you could come back with seniority after 4 months (if you weren’t called back early) in order to give some of the junior guys time to get things in order in case they had to take a furlough once you returned...how many would do it??
There are several at my terminal that said they would, just not willing to lose their job.

Good suggestions but I’d rather see them implement 4 day work weeks for everyone until this thing passes, that way everyone works and no one is furloughed...but I can see where your suggestion would work for those who’d rather take time off and not work at all, especially at centers where 4 day work weeks still wouldn’t be enough to offset those not working.
They're gonna do things however it suits them.

They're gonna do things however it suits them.
As they should IMO.
When the founder of Viking started Viking Delivery Service, when Sheridan Garrison started Arkansas Freightways, when Bill Watkins started Watkins Motor Lines, and when Fred Smith started FedEx, none of them started with the intentions of creating jobs...their first and only intention was making money!!
The same still holds true today, although they’d all like to keep as many people working as possible, they have to do what’s right by the bottom line in order to keep the company profitable.

As they should IMO.
When the founder of Viking started Viking Delivery Service, when Sheridan Garrison started Arkansas Freightways, when Bill Watkins started Watkins Motor Lines, and when Fred Smith started FedEx, none of them started with the intentions of creating jobs...their first and only intention was making money!!
The same still holds true today, although they’d all like to keep as many people working as possible, they have to do what’s right by the bottom line in order to keep the company profitable.
Those first three guys knew how to treat drivers as well. They also knew it would keep the company profitable.
Not the case today.

He Bids the xtra board and then complains about being stuck on the xtra board. Outstanding.