ABF | Lay off

I heard 050 put a new man to work on Monday & yesterday on Friday they laid off 3 guys. Now the new hire can't work until the other 3 are called back. Before this new shuffle of workers there were 6 people off work for injury or illness. Now we are coming in to the most profitable quarter for ABF with a huge manpower shortage. And we are still leaving outbound freight sitting in trailers in the yard waiting to to be worked the next day. And 3 people retiring between now & the end of October. I still say their end game is to bankrupt ABF & taking profits out of one company & placing them in to another. When ABF is gone so is the Pension Debit that hung over their heads. Game over.. von
You are finally catching on. Massive profits do not come from wasting dollars on unnecessary labor or equipment. No chance to pad coffers if having to pay monumental medical costs for Obamacare. Expect more work force trimming and equipment shortages.

You are finally catching on. Massive profits do not come from wasting dollars on unnecessary labor or equipment. No chance to pad coffers if having to pay monumental medical costs for Obamacare. Expect more work force trimming and equipment shortages.
Nice to know they're using our concession money wisely.

"Obamacare" has nothing to do with their profits......In fact, contractual language was changed so that it's now up to the individual H & W and pension funds to squabble over the contractually set amount they pay for both funds....... "up to a dollar an hour"....Remember that in the new contract? Used to be,....and was for the preceding four contracts,........ a solid dollar an hour, ....not " up to". Now, both funds have to set their costs before the company PRIOR to the August H & W and pension increase, and the company will decide how much to send " up to a dollar an hour". ...... And, since you are in the Teamsters, you ought to know the company has nothing to do with your healthcare, other than payment........and less of that since our new steaming heap of a contract was ratified. So,.....just how is " Obamacare " impacting the company? I know in my case that when I retire in a year or so, prior to Medicare age, I no longer have to take the COBRA insurance at $1475.00 a month,.....under "Obamacare" I can pick a much cheaper plan like one of our recent retirees did, and only pay $400.00 a month until Medicare.........thereby saving him roughly $60,000.00 in out-of-pocket costs over five years.........If you look carefully, the "people" shouting loudest about "Defunding Obamacare"....... are the insurance companies and the employers, who liked having control of their employees' healthcare,....makes for very quiet employees,.....and the politicians whose campaigns the aforementioned insurance companies and employees paid for. Quid Pro Quo, you know.....

Previous message, last sentence: "Employers paid for"... Not employees....Stands to reason, we ain't got no spare cash to slash around the various candidates..........

Obamacare was a bailout for the big hospital groups. If ANYONE legal or illegal went in for treatment they had to get it regardless of ability to pay. The Hospitals then had to try to collect and spend money for that or just write it off, but if they could get everyone to have insurance than they wouldn't have to write off as much.
It is as big of a scam as all the other government programs. It helps some but hurts others.
If what I have been reading is also correct we (teamsters) here at ABF will have to start paying taxes on our insurance at the end of the year because we have a "cadillac" plan. I can't wait to pay my fair share. (and others share)

Beginning in 2018, the portion of any annual health insurance premium that exceeds $10,200 for individual coverage and $27,500 for family coverage will be taxed at 40%. For example, for a family plan with an annual premium of $30,000 the employer would be required to pay a 40% tax on the amount above $27,500 ($2,500) or $1,000. Although after 2018, the thresholds will be adjusted annually for the Consumer Price Index (CPI), the number of new individuals who find themselves having to pay this large surtax will grow rapidly, since the MCPI (Medical Consumer Price Index) is projected to increase faster than the overall CPI. This was not anticipated by policy makers, and as a result the assumptions that few plans would hit the threshold or that this excise tax would impact only the wealthiest Americans is looking equally inaccurate.

Beginning in 2018, the portion of any annual health insurance premium that exceeds $10,200 for individual coverage and $27,500 for family coverage will be taxed at 40%. For example, for a family plan with an annual premium of $30,000 the employer would be required to pay a 40% tax on the amount above $27,500 ($2,500) or $1,000. Although after 2018, the thresholds will be adjusted annually for the Consumer Price Index (CPI), the number of new individuals who find themselves having to pay this large surtax will grow rapidly, since the MCPI (Medical Consumer Price Index) is projected to increase faster than the overall CPI. This was not anticipated by policy makers, and as a result the assumptions that few plans would hit the threshold or that this excise tax would impact only the wealthiest Americans is looking equally inaccurate.
unfortunately true,......and you can almost bet that the insurance companies are doing their damndest to raise prices artificially,.....if for no other reason but to get more consumers screaming about increasing taxation on healthcare plans....Look for a "patch" in the next year or so, to "cap" the MCPI.....And it will work until the next devious and slimy trick the insurance people come up with to **** the working people......Hey! ..Even Donald Trump says we need Universal Health Care!.......Said so on 60 Minutes last night.....I almost fell out of my Laz-E-Boy laughing so hard.......

I almost fell out of my Laz-E-Boy laughing so hard.......
Why? What was funny about it? :shrug: I've been in favor of it ever since I discovered that Canada has it (which was a lifetime ago). I hear a lot of people balking that the lazy do get and will get free health insurance but they always will...as long as the doctors can't turn them away if they're uninsured. Why not face it and incorporate it into the system? A GST to cover it like Canada has would insure that EVERYONE paid their fair share. And with senior discounts at most establishments it would lessen to burden on the elderly as their tax would decrease as their price did. Then we could eliminate Medicaid/Medicare too. Has anyone considered the savings that would bring to the table? Does anyone else remember The Scooter Store? Just a few years ago they advertised hot and heavy over the midnight hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obamacare was a bailout for the big hospital groups. If ANYONE legal or illegal went in for treatment they had to get it regardless of ability to pay. The Hospitals then had to try to collect and spend money for that or just write it off, but if they could get everyone to have insurance than they wouldn't have to write off as much.
It is as big of a scam as all the other government programs. It helps some but hurts others.
If what I have been reading is also correct we (teamsters) here at ABF will have to start paying taxes on our insurance at the end of the year because we have a "cadillac" plan. I can't wait to pay my fair share. (and others share)
I've been hearing bits and pieces of the same. Disturbing to say the least.

I'm not buying that the hospitals just write it off and it's that easy. They tack those costs onto your and my bills when we go in for treatment. Just like shoplifting, the cost of it is incorporated into the prices we pay when we shop.

Why? What was funny about it? :shrug: I've been in favor of it ever since I discovered that Canada has it (which was a lifetime ago). I hear a lot of people balking that the lazy do get and will get free health insurance but they always will...as long as the doctors can't turn them away if they're uninsured. Why not face it and incorporate it into the system? A GST to cover it like Canada has would insure that EVERYONE paid their fair share. And with senior discounts at most establishments it would lessen to burden on the elderly as their tax would decrease as their price did. Then we could eliminate Medicaid/Medicare too. Has anyone considered the savings that would bring to the table? Does anyone else remember The Scooter Store? Just a few years ago they advertised hot and heavy over the midnight hours.
I was laughing over the source...... Mr. Trump. I too have always been a proponent of universal health care. We are the only "civilized" nation where your healthcare, or lack thereof, is directly tied to your employer. Of course, the employers love that,.......makes for a very subservient workforce when your employer is holding your families' healthcare for ransom........I just thought it was hilarious that the leading Republican had proposed eliminating Obamacare,..... And then reinstating it........Can't get much better than that for sheer serendipitous entertainment.....

I hate talking specifics on here but we didn't lose Amazon. Abf told them they didn't want it as is. Amazon was set to drastically change the way they warehoused the large items. Estes came in and said wait, let us try it the way it is first. Last I heard estes has lift-gate or home delivery contractors. That means they can shift a lot of the liability for property damages and injuries off to them. We wont get Amazon back in the same way we have it now.

Fox News reports Amazon to use civilians and their personal vehicles to deliver in Seattle area. Can't see the Local letting that happen.
But what can the Local do about that? If Amazon chooses that course, then it's their choice. I don't wanna see anyone thrown out of work due to this loss of business, but I gotta tell ya from the heart, you won't see me singing the blues over it. Amazon, build.com and their likes are for the most part problematic and labor-intensive deliveries. Not breaking my heart at all.

Fox News reports Amazon to use civilians and their personal vehicles to deliver in Seattle area. Can't see the Local letting that happen.
Good Grief! Nothing like letting the billionaire use your personal vehicle,.....and paying you a pittance for it........So,...As I live in W. Penna,.....if I order something on Amazon in the future, .....I can expect to see a rusty 1978 Buick Skylark with the obligatory Confederate flag license plate firmly attached,......even though various fenders and exhaust pieces aren't attached as well,.......with an overweight and unshaven driver in a torn Steelers shirt,......stumbling up my driveway with a package in his hand,..........and I shouldn't fire a warning shot over his head, as he probably has my delivery.?.....This idea may work well in Seattle,........