Estes | layoffs

so they are letting them go right and left at knoxville...and looks like it doesnt matter if you have over 9 yrs or 14-15 years your gone yet some that only have a year are getting to stay...dont understand the reasoning behind that.....good luck everybody

so they are letting them go right and left at knoxville...and looks like it doesnt matter if you have over 9 yrs or 14-15 years your gone yet some that only have a year are getting to stay...dont understand the reasoning behind that.....good luck everybody

Yeah it is true hubby got it today!!!!

Nothing heard at cinti but did here Fed-Ex has slashed rates either to create cashflow or hasten the demise of YRC.

Heard the same thing about the rate decreases at FedEx..Don't really think it has anything to do with YRC though..Mostly trying to create cash flow,I assume..YRC is going to survive through management or management will be the demise..Don't really want to get too deep into the YRC thing..Have friends and family over there..Don't want to speculate..

I was talking to a Conway driver that was helping in Tacoma, up from Oregon. He said their normal bill count is 300, but now they are up to 600. Hell, thats double. They must of cut something.
I work for R+L. We are in about the same boat as Estes. Laying off 500-1000 employees, so thats 5-10%

Fight to the death

After reading many different threads and other sites, IMO it appears YRC, CNW, and FDXF are presently involved in the mother of all LTL freight battles. This will not be very pretty and none are showing any mercy for another. All that the rest of us can do is hope our respective companies have the savvy and cash on hand to ride it out.
About the only thing the many other carriers can do for now is either discount also or lay off/ reduce hours till all the rate cutting ends and things get somewhat back to normal. There's not a lot of new freight out there and taking it from another carrier is about the only way to get it.
I trust my employer to make the right decisions to get us thru this.

When will it stop?

This rate slashing does nothing but contribute long-term damage to the entire industry. Remember what happened to CF when they did this. They jumped up to number 3 on the list, and then they went out of business. They can cut rates all they want, but it takes some serious skill to come back to those customers and hike rates up. Fedex, Conway are the biggest culprets. It may pay off in the shorthaul, but in the longterm who knows. All I know is I hope all of us in the industry can survive. This is almost like creating another dip in the recession for us truckers. We have been hit hard enough for the past 2 years already, all of us had. And now here comes another wave.

I guess thats the price you pay when you have stock holders that demand stellar profits. Good luck to all of us out there, its going to be a long cold winter I believe. I dont want to see anyone lose their job, union or non-union.

Im trying my best to buy anything made in the USA. Its hard to find these days but its still out there. I would rather see our fellow countrymen at work, than slave labor in another country.

I was a O/O in heavy haul when CF went out estes fr8 so I did'nt realize that they were slashing rates like that before they went out.
But I'm sure your right about the real trick is keeping that new customer after the rates go back up. Especially after said rate cutter has bought enough equipment and hired enough people to cover the stuff they got with discounts. They almost have to keep that new market share then because their ops are geared to that new bigger volume.

Numbers I know of for sure gone in 074.....

office-2
utility-7
schedule L/H-3
X/B L/H-6
Teams-4 (8 drivers)

Not sure about p&d and hub yet, there were a couple but I don't know exact so I won't post anything on them yet.
Not sure on dock either, should be around 2 or 3.
All cuts were made by total company time, and then applied WITHIN the drivers catagory he was working in at the time.
Drivers were told if they were called back within 12 months they would retain their time they had built up.

Example: If corporate said we need to drop 6 E/B then they looked up hire dates for all E/B's and took bottom 6 according to total company time.
Same applied to all other catagories.

The big surprise to us was cutting 4 out of our 5 teams. We thought they were pretty safe.
Sad day, we lost some great hands. We'll all be glad when the rate wars are over.

Goes back to senority.. what a joke. A guy at the bottom of LH with 10 years could get fired (yeah call it what it is) due to lack of work and a guy with 5 years on city will work the next day. WTF?

u r pretty much spot on buzz beez, sorry that it would work out this way tho,i'm like u tho, i hope that management has got a handle on things so the majority of us will keep on working, i know it's rough on the people that r getting laid off now and my heart's out to them now, keep thinking back to may 19th with the big blue, no one needs that !!!

Numbers I know of for sure gone in 074.....

office-2
utility-7
schedule L/H-3
X/B L/H-6
Teams-4 (8 drivers)

Not sure about p&d and hub yet, there were a couple but I don't know exact so I won't post anything on them yet.
Not sure on dock either, should be around 2 or 3.
All cuts were made by total company time, and then applied WITHIN the drivers catagory he was working in at the time.
Drivers were told if they were called back within 12 months they would retain their time they had built up.

Example: If corporate said we need to drop 6 E/B then they looked up hire dates for all E/B's and took bottom 6 according to total company time.
Same applied to all other catagories.

The big surprise to us was cutting 4 out of our 5 teams. We thought they were pretty safe.
Sad day, we lost some great hands. We'll all be glad when the rate wars are over.

Sorry to hear about this KD..We'll keep these folks in our prayers..

The sad part is they let people go that has been there for years then the ones who have less well they keep there jobs !!! Just not FAIR !!

Read his quote again..It was done by company seniority, then used the category..Not to sound favorable to the situation,but it was done right..You may be referring to a different location..But with all this being said,it's still a sad day in Knoxville..

Read his quote again..It was done by company seniority, then used the category..Not to sound favorable to the situation,but it was done right..You may be referring to a different location..But with all this being said,it's still a sad day in Knoxville..

My understanding is yes they use company senority, but only within class. Which allows lower senority guys in another class to remain working while higher guys are out of a job. If i'm wrong please correct me.

When your talking about putting people out of work, I think they need to get a list of company senority for the whole terminal and cut the bottom x amount regardless of class, then suffle drivers back into possitions. That way layoffs will truely be done by senority. IMO

Interesting article about rate cuts

Be Careful What You (CNW) Wish For - Longbow Research Note, 10/13/09
Battles for LTL market share continue to be won on price and service. We continue to hear from our LTL contacts that Con-way and FedEx Freight continue to aggressively go after market share by providing discounts and bundling services. This strategy is helping both companies build lane density and market share. For example, Con-way’s typical seasonal pick-up from January to September is 7-8%, but this year it is 38% as the company benefits from share gains. The increase in freight is helping drive earnings growth given the operation leverage associated with a LTL network. However, this is being mitigated by the additional costs associated with taking on the additional freight. Con-way must lease equipment and hire additional workers to handle the freight won from competitors. Roughly 13-15% of Con-way’s LTL employees have only been with the company for less than 60 days, and we believe are likely materially less productive as they become familiar with the network and complete their training. Also, the company has been running more overtime with current employees as the company ramps up labor to meet with the large growth in volumes. We expect the increase in new employees and discounted rates will have a negative impact on Con-way’s operating ratio in 2H09. We are increasing our operating ratio assumptions in Q3 and Q4 to 94.1% and 94.4% from 93.8% & 93.5%, respectively. Con-way is slated to announce its Q3 results on November 3.