SAIA | Layoffs!!

Every company needs a mix of seasoned veterans and young blood .. I know seasoned veterans here that have million mile awards and presidential awards to go with them. Many in their late 50's and early 60's that could go to any LTL company. My point is that if I'm allowed to stay here until retirement I will not get back into LTL as a driver. I don't want that. I would consider a management position past 62 perhaps because it's not as physically demanding. My health is good and I know this business. My mind is clear and I could mentor young men. I will cross that bridge when I come to it. There are no guarantees in this world so just depending on how things go I could just shut down my career and draw on my IRA and raise cattle on my ranch in East Texas (Lindale) where one of my daughters lives with her husband and 3 of my grandchildren. My Father died their doing what he loved. I suspect I will do the same.

Good luck, I'm sure your offer will come today for that mentor of young men/management position. Saia management surely has you in consideration.

Hey wasn't Dennis Hastert a mentor of young men??

Agreed. I don't see any reason Saia would compensate a driver to act as a mentor to other drivers. It's a requirement to be hired at Saia that the applicant already has a year of commercial driving experience. Do, presumably, any mentoring would happen before they are at Saia.

Also, if Saia cared enough about drivers to even have a mentoring program, then it would only make sense for them to first care enough about employees to not lay them off going into a slow season. Saia is in scramble and survival mode. And by their own action, has dragged now former employees into the mix.

Lastly, I understand that the "older" drivers have all kinds of arguments as to why they shouldn't be on the chopping block (I've got xxxxxxx miles, I'm safe, I remember when...) but those folks aren't totally squeaky clean either. The older you get, the slower your reflexes are, weight is gained easier (leading to all sorts of health problems) and just slower. It's not worth it to debate that fact. A 60 something person just can't keep up with a 20 something person over the long run, all else being equal. My stance was, and will continue to be, that while older employees may have experiences and wisdom from years in the industry, they tend to be slower, have more health issues, and a sense of entitlement, as well as the arrogance to place an unrealistic value on their services. Bottom line: Saia shouldn't be so quick to push the "layoff button" without considering the victims. And they have to go for young employees to avoid getting slapped with an age discrimination suit, that would only make a bad situation worse. There is no such thing as fairness and honesty Just deception, lies, and layoffs.

Agreed. I don't see any reason Saia would compensate a driver to act as a mentor to other drivers. It's a requirement to be hired at Saia that the applicant already has a year of commercial driving experience. Do, presumably, any mentoring would happen before they are at Saia.

Also, if Saia cared enough about drivers to even have a mentoring program, then it would only make sense for them to first care enough about employees to not lay them off going into a slow season. Saia is in scramble and survival mode. And by their own action, has dragged now former employees into the mix.

Lastly, I understand that the "older" drivers have all kinds of arguments as to why they shouldn't be on the chopping block (I've got xxxxxxx miles, I'm safe, I remember when...) but those folks aren't totally squeaky clean either. The older you get, the slower your reflexes are, weight is gained easier (leading to all sorts of health problems) and just slower. It's not worth it to debate that fact. A 60 something person just can't keep up with a 20 something person over the long run, all else being equal. My stance was, and will continue to be, that while older employees may have experiences and wisdom from years in the industry, they tend to be slower, have more health issues, and a sense of entitlement, as well as the arrogance to place an unrealistic value on their services. Bottom line: Saia shouldn't be so quick to push the "layoff button" without considering the victims. And they have to go for young employees to avoid getting slapped with an age discrimination suit, that would only make a bad situation worse. There is no such thing as fairness and honesty Just deception, lies, and layoffs.
I never said it would be offered. I said I would consider it if offered. I could easily just work in the office as an OSD clerk or something of that nature. Eventually I will move to my East Texas farm that I inherited from my parents estate and raise a small head of cattle. More as a hobby to stay busy than to make money. My IRA has more than enough to see me through my retirement years. The thought of helping young men see that they are better served being union free is appealing to me. I learned that in my 20 years at Overnite as a dispatcher. Hell, if called upon I might even do it for free. And I might even pay my friend Joe B (Jim) to travel with me for a few trips.

Last edited:
I never said it would be offered. I said I would consider it if offered. I could easily just work in the office as an OSD clerk or something of that nature. Eventually I will move to my East Texas farm that I inherited from my parents estate and raise a small head of cattle. More as a hobby to stay busy than to make money. My IRA has more than enough to see me through my retirement years. The thought of helping young men see that they are better served being union free is appealing to me. I learned that in my 20 years at Overnite as a dispatcher. Hell, if called upon I might even do it for free. And I might even pay my friend Joe B (Jim) to travel with me for a few trips.

Raising Bull:crap:?:hilarious::hide:
As I read through your post on the YRC forum I would think you are use to BS. Through your own admission the Teamsters are full of it along with YRC. Why you guys feel the need to come over here and ::shit:: in our punch bowl is amazing. The only thing I can come up with is you just enjoy sharing your misery. As I was reading one of Smokes post yesterday in the FedEx forum commending a poster on one of the best post he has ever seen, along comes one of you guys (Teamster) to basically say he was full of ::shit::. Not in those words but he was being confrontation. Smoke much like myself has seen it all. Why you guys love to crash people's party and rain on our parade just goes back to the essence of what you and the Teamsters are all about. Creating an "us and them" mentality. I don't look at things that way. And I never will. I would like to believe we can all work together without the need for a third party. I believe in the TEAM concept. Working together to make our company stronger and not concerning myself with what others make. The LTL business has been good to me and has paid and treated me fairly. I am very grateful.

Last edited:
As I read through your post on the YRC forum I would think you are use to BS. Through your own admission the Teamsters are full of it along with YRC. Why you guys feel the need to come over here and :::shit::: in our punch bowl is amazing. The only thing I can come up with is you just enjoy sharing your misery. As I was reading one of Smokes post yesterday in the FedEx forum commending a poster on one of the best post he has ever seen, along comes one of you guys (Teamster) to basically say he was full of :::shit:::. Not in those words but he was being confrontation. Smoke much like myself has seen it all. Why you guys love to crash people's party and rain on our parade just goes back to the essence of what you and the Teamsters are all about. Creating an "us and them" mentality. I don't look at things that way. And I never will. I would like to believe we can all work together without the need for a third party. I believe in the TEAM concept. Working together to make our company stronger and not concerning myself with what others make. The LTL business has been good to me and has paid and treated me fairly. I am very grateful.

:crap:Damn Damn I was just pulling your leg.iI enjoy reading the posts on all the board to keep up on the going-ons in the industry-56 retired for2years living out in Arizona now.I took my bat and ball and left.Sorry you're so offended,when I get home and put my bifocals on i will actually read youre reply.Raising cattle=raising bull:shhit:

Last edited:

I absolutely believe Saia cares about drivers. And I think they care about dock workers, managers and the rest of their employees. However, they have a business to run.

A period of time ago, I had a bit of a discussion with a local, family owned distribution company's hr director. The key item I remember is he said the average age of a truck driver is 54. Take it for what it's worth. You must not know many 20 somethings, as it's been a long, long time since I've seen many that wanted to bust their grapes (or had grapes worth busting)

As for fairness, doesn't get more fair than around the horn cuts.

My parting thought is: At the end of the day, Saia is an employer. These are all jobs. If we don't like them, we are free to leave. Mentoring? We get our training. I got 4 days. Fine. I could still ask questions as they arose. Mentoring? Here's how to do the ::shit::, now go do it. We're not in kiddie garden. Not a blue ribbon for participating. It's called work. You do it, you get paid. I could go on but pointless with this group.

I absolutely believe Saia cares about drivers. And I think they care about dock workers, managers and the rest of their employees. However, they have a business to run.

A period of time ago, I had a bit of a discussion with a local, family owned distribution company's hr director. The key item I remember is he said the average age of a truck driver is 54. Take it for what it's worth. You must not know many 20 somethings, as it's been a long, long time since I've seen many that wanted to bust their grapes (or had grapes worth busting)

As for fairness, doesn't get more fair than around the horn cuts.

My parting thought is: At the end of the day, Saia is an employer. These are all jobs. If we don't like them, we are free to leave. Mentoring? We get our training. I got 4 days. Fine. I could still ask questions as they arose. Mentoring? Here's how to do the :::shit:::, now go do it. We're not in kiddie garden. Not a blue ribbon for participating. It's called work. You do it, you get paid. I could go on but pointless with this group.

THERE IS A REASON ALL THE 20 SOMETHINGS ARE DRIVING FOR SWIFT CR ENGLAND AND ALL THE OTHERS YOU SEE STUCK UNDER THE 11' BRIDGE

THERE IS A REASON ALL THE 20 SOMETHINGS ARE DRIVING FOR SWIFT CR ENGLAND AND ALL THE OTHERS YOU SEE STUCK UNDER THE 11' BRIDGE
Ripping down electrical lines. Getting stuck in the mud. Driving too fast. Failing random drug testing. Then trying to convince the MRO (second hand smoke) he has no idea how that weed got in his system. I could go on about rookie mistakes I've seen through the years but I guess I will stop now.

Last edited:
Let add a few more. Ripping off flaps on curbs and jacking up fuel tanks as well. Cracking fairings with hard U-Turns. Dropping trailers because they thought the hook sounded good. Drifting lanes because of texting or Facebook. Any others guys?

Not here but I once seen a rookie drive off with a fork lift driver in the back and he had to be called on the company radio to bring him back. I once seen a rookie leaving the yard with his back door up losing freight as he's driving down the street. His fellow co-workers were having to stop and pick it up. I ::shit:: you not. I seen some good ones in my day.

I just can't stop. I once seen a rookie pull in the yard pulling a set of triples when your not allowed that in Texas. How he made it to the yard without getting stopped is a mystery. I once seen a rookie pull in the yard with a 4" branch sticking through the top left of the trailer extending through the left side wall. Said he never heard a thing. He must have been on an important phone call.

Let add a few more. Ripping off flaps on curbs and jacking up fuel tanks as well. Cracking fairings with hard U-Turns. Dropping trailers because they thought the hook sounded good. Drifting lanes because of texting or Facebook. Any others guys?
10 year man dropped one other day. Yep, seniority should be the deciding factor:tr10driving03:

Watched one a couple months ago on the ATL yard miss the pin with his dolly and back into the rear trailer crushing the electrical box the I followed him off the yard with no lights at all on his rear pup .

In all seriousness we all need to stay diligent in our jobs and not become complacent. Complacency is the single most dangerous thing to have in our business. Self satisfaction accompanied by unawareness of actual dangers can destroy you. Be safe drivers.