SAIA | Layoffs!!

California is an at will state

Even then, I'm sure they didn't get fired for complaining. I'm sure "poor performance" was the excuse-- I mean reason
Really? Descrimination speaks loudly.Laid off because of performance? If your employer doesn't like the job performance shouldn't that employer terminate that person's employment? I'm looking in from the outside.So the employer would rather risk unfair labor acts by laying off higher seniority or higher ranking people because of a bad performance points? Not laying off from the bottom up? Seems like to me that this is wrong.Layoff higher senior people because they are higher paid and use some faulty point system?

The terminology used in how any company reduces their workforce is crucial. That terminology determines what and how much said employee is eligible for, in regard to unemployment benefits.

Really? Descrimination speaks loudly.Laid off because of performance? If your employer doesn't like the job performance shouldn't that employer terminate that person's employment? I'm looking in from the outside.So the employer would rather risk unfair labor acts by laying off higher seniority or higher ranking people because of a bad performance points? Not laying off from the bottom up? Seems like to me that this is wrong.Layoff higher senior people because they are higher paid and use some faulty point system?

Who is laid off shouldn't be determined by seniority. Just because someone has managed to hang around for a long time doesn't mean they should automatically get to keep their job. It seems to me pretty much everyone laid off had attendance problems, had accidents, or poor performance. Why should those people who can't show up to work or can't avoid accidents keep their jobs over safe punctual; employees? This is a business, not a charity. The whole seniority thing is antiquated union BS. Seniority gets reward with priority vacation bids and bid runs (in linehaul). I think thats reward enough. At Saia you just have ti show up and do your job safely and you won't be laid off. Seems pretty simple to me.

Replace the SAIA on your door with your last name. Who stays? Who goes?

Unfortunately, when it comes down to it, its business. These LTL's didn't get to where they are today by making silly decisions.

Last edited:
Who is laid off shouldn't be determined by seniority. Just because someone has managed to hang around for a long time doesn't mean they should automatically get to keep their job. It seems to me pretty much everyone laid off had attendance problems, had accidents, or poor performance. Why should those people who can't show up to work or can't avoid accidents keep their jobs over safe punctual; employees? This is a business, not a charity. The whole seniority thing is antiquated union BS. Seniority gets reward with priority vacation bids and bid runs (in linehaul). I think thats reward enough. At Saia you just have ti show up and do your job safely and you won't be laid off. Seems pretty simple to me.
You completely missed the point, if their job performance deems them to be an undesirable employee terminate them, laying them off is chicken ::shit::.

Actually laying them off is more beneficial to the employee. It doesn't put a blemish on their job history. And it's a certainty that you will get unemployment. I like to think of it as being very merciful. Culling the herd is never easy. But it's necessary in order to run an efficient operation. I understand it and accept it. The SAIA business model I find refreshing. Accountability is a good thing.

Last edited:
Layoffs hit atlanta this morning.... I heard 400 system wide
These where not layoffs, it was called a RIF. Reduction in force. Saia let people go for things they did up to 2 years ago. They could not afford to lose the employees then, but when things got slow , they was the first to go. That was the worst 36 hours of my life , when I had to tell an employee he was being let go for a DMD from 2014.

These where not layoffs, it was called a RIF. Reduction in force. Saia let people go for things they did up to 2 years ago. They could not afford to lose the employees then, but when things got slow , they was the first to go. That was the worst 36 hours of my life , when I had to tell an employee he was being let go for a DMD from 2014.

Potato, potato. No matter how you package it, these folks were employed, and are now unemployed. I agree it is a fact of business, but that is a crappy situation for those people and their families. SAIA..."we care, we share" obviously doesn't extend to drivers and dock workers. I wonder how many folks with the "management" title got let go, RIF, laid off, whatever. I will bet my next contract on that...

Well if you believe what the RAT says Saia did them a favor,wonder how he would feel if they extended him that "favor"?
I would walk away with my head held high knowing that whatever happens in my life God is directing my path. If the worst thing this company can do is fire me then I feel truly blessed. As long as I have my health, hope and faith and the love of my family then I have everything. I would just walk with no bitterness. At my age you start to understand that God directs your course and that he has better things in store for me. It is not the things that happen to us that determine the quality of our life, it is strictly our attitude toward the things that happen.

I would walk away with my head held high knowing that whatever happens in my life God is directing my path. If the worst thing this company can do is fire me then I feel truly blessed. As long as I have my health, hope and faith and the love of my family then I have everything. I would just walk with no bitterness. At my age you start to understand that God directs your course and that he has better things in store for me. It is not the things that happen to us that determine the quality of our life, it is strictly our attitude toward the things that happen.

Yeah...I'm gonna call BS on that buddy. Don't take the high and mighty road without knowing what this does to people. Walk a mile in my shoes before you judge. Layoffs are really crappy. Saia did a favor for themselves, not the employees. Take off the blinders.