Yellow | layoffs

No sense !!!

Basically, I think the company makes out 2 ways. They save all the holiday pay and they save the benefit pay. The thing you need to remember is the new hires probably won't qualify for unemployment under some circumstances and those laid off w/more seniority will probably work anyway for now. If you choose full layoff and get another temp job, they save alot. I'm just glad I managed to keep running good this month. That little extra covers xmas and all those little things that are still owed/due while you're shutting off the money valve. Any laid off CVE drivers, needing a money stream, let me know. Another laid off driver gave me some info on a temp agency, hiring CDL drivers to haul UPS, Penske and other freight. I guess they pay $15 p/hr, plus mileage .37 p/mi, back and forth to the terminal you work out of. They're about 15 mins away from CVE.

If you choose full layoff and get another temp job, they save alot.

How can YOU choose? I thought the company decided whether or not to lay off, not the employees-- from bottom up, per the NMFA. Full time layoffs, not "Part ones"? Or do you simply mean taking the extra board that may not be working at that time?????

Full layoff

If you choose full layoff and get another temp job, they save alot.

How can YOU choose? I thought the company decided whether or not to lay off, not the employees-- from bottom up, per the NMFA. Full time layoffs, not "Part ones"? Or do you simply mean taking the extra board that may not be working at that time?????

Central States allows you various choices during layoff. Full layoff, you don't work at all, when you hear from them on recall, you have 2 weeks to report. Road only, you are available for call as a laid off road driver for road use only on as needed basis. All occupations, they can call you in for road or yard/dock work on as needed basis. These are in addition to taking a dock bid based on seniority or transferring to another terminal at your own expense.
If you choose full layoff, you can collect unemployment as long as you fulfill state requirements by contacting 2 employers per week or you can go get another job, which you quit if you want to come back to Yellow when recalled.

Central States allows you various choices during layoff. Full layoff, you don't work at all, when you hear from them on recall, you have 2 weeks to report. Road only, you are available for call as a laid off road driver for road use only on as needed basis. All occupations, they can call you in for road or yard/dock work on as needed basis. These are in addition to taking a dock bid based on seniority or transferring to another terminal at your own expense.
If you choose full layoff, you can collect unemployment as long as you fulfill state requirements by contacting 2 employers per week or you can go get another job, which you quit if you want to come back to Yellow when recalled.

I'm in Central States. The only way I see you getting to transfer to a dock bid would be if the dock was hiring, and you transferred in at the bottom. Same as if I transferred into the road. To transfer to another terminal, even at your own expense, would be to quit at the home terminal, and get hired at the next place, as far as I know. Granted, I didn't read those parts of the contract, but I know others that have tried those things, and that's how it worked for them.

Gentlemen,
Actually, Article 5, Section 5 says the following about transferring for laid off road drivers.....(Keep in mind that the South has their own version of this)

Section 5. Work Opportunity

Over-the-road employees, who are on letter of layoff, shall be given an opportunity to transfer to permanent over-the-road employment (prior to the employment of new hires) occurring at other over-the-road domiciles of the Employer located within the Regional area provided they notify the Employer in writing of their interest in a transfer opportunity. The offer of transfer will be made in the order of continuous over-the-road seniority of the laid-off drivers domiciled within the Regional area. The Employer shall be required to make additional offers of transfer to an employee who has previously rejected a transfer opportunity provided the employee again notifies the Employer in writing of his/her continued interest in additional transfer opportunities. However, the Employer will only be required to make one transfer offer in any six (6) calendar month period. Any employee accepting such offer shall be paid at the employee’s applicable rate of pay and shall be placed at the bottom of the seniority board for bidding and layoff purposes, but shall retain company seniority for fringe benefits only. A transferring employee shall pay his/her own moving expenses and shall, upon reporting to such new domicile, be deemed to have relinquished his/her right to return with seniority to the domicile from which he/she transferred. The provisions of this Section shall not supersede an established order of call/hiring in the Supplemental Agreement.

Sounds like I'm 1 for 2.

Batting 500 would get you in the Hall of Fame in baseball. It would make you lose the election for steward. Good job, as usual, STLDude!

Sounds like I'm 1 for 2.

Batting 500 would get you in the Hall of Fame in baseball. It would make you lose the election for steward. Good job, as usual, STLDude!
Thanks Jimmy,
I don't know of anybody who ever took a work opportunity in STL in my 20 years....everybody just weathered the layoff storms as they came and went.