Yellow | layoffs

That's wierd, because we even had at least 4 extra drivers on the street today in Indy, and almost everyone got OT; even the dock. Sign up to work the dock, and hopefully you'll get in. You'll go ahead of the casuals we're STILL using.

I asked Dan, the TM about our numbers yesterday. He said we are down 8% from last year, businesswise. And that 7 retired in the City, but he only hired 2 all of the past year-- hoping to avoid a layoff. He laid no one off in the city last year. Of course, he and all TM's are famous for the words "Due to business levels."

Personally, I think it's because we can use casuals, and the road in our local can't (That I'm aware of). So the Road OVERhires, while the dock UNDERhires.

jimmy g said:
That's wierd, because we even had at least 4 extra drivers on the street today in Indy, and almost everyone got OT; even the dock. Sign up to work the dock, and hopefully you'll get in. You'll go ahead of the casuals we're STILL using.

I asked Dan, the TM about our numbers yesterday. He said we are down 8% from last year, businesswise. And that 7 retired in the City, but he only hired 2 all of the past year-- hoping to avoid a layoff. He laid no one off in the city last year. Of course, he and all TM's are famous for the words "Due to business levels."

Personally, I think it's because we can use casuals, and the road in our local can't (That I'm aware of). So the Road OVERhires, while the dock UNDERhires.
I know your going to find this strange jimmy G but,I agree with ya!

20% of ATL extra-board sitting at home on a Friday/Saturday.....freight is slowing down for Thanksgiving.....KK

Kennesaw Kid said:
20% of ATL extra-board sitting at home on a Friday/Saturday.....freight is slowing down for Thanksgiving.....KK
So KK, how long is going to be before freight takes off again? :hissyfit: I hope it doesn't take until this time next year.

Still sitting at home in Nashville since last Saturday. Last year I was running out of hours at this time and even worked over Thanksgiving!! To top that off, I was on probation and even casuals were hitting 70 hours! This year we got laid off this week and freight has dropped significantly. Gonna hold on but I see a long winter ahead with sparse work for those of us on the bottom 10% of the board...hell maybe even for the bottom 25%! Later!

Benny Hill said:
So KK, how long is going to be before freight takes off again? :hissyfit: I hope it doesn't take until this time next year.

Well after 33 years of freight....it always does the same....slows down between Thanksgiving and Christmas....then the last few days after Christmas there is the end of the years rush.....then after New Years it sucks until the end of February!......KK

Don't get discouraged, guys.

I know that's easier said than done when you're not working, but it WILL get better for you.

If you can put up with the layoffs for about 1 1/2 - 2 years, you'll start seeing a dramatic difference.

The way I looked at it was, if I get to work 2-3 days a week at Yellow, I'm still making more than I would anywhere else.

I hired on in 1995 and the first 2 years, we were layed off 21 times.
Now I'm looking for a day off here and there.

Just hang in there if you can. You'll be glad you did.

Kennesaw Kid said:
Well after 33 years of freight....it always does the same....slows down between Thanksgiving and Christmas....then the last few days after Christmas there is the end of the years rush.....then after New Years it sucks until the end of February!......KK
You are right on K.K.!....LAST YEAR WAS KINDA UNUSUAL.....we didnt have a big layoff in linehaul until after NEW YEARS..... :smilie_132:

I found a better job, driving a straight truck, same pay, time and 1/2 after 40,benefits kick in after 30 days, start off with 2 weeks vacation , holidays +5 sick days :duh: :smilie_132: :hysterical: and I don't have to wait a year to get it!
See YA!!

Hey d,d and blind........I'm glad for you. You gotta do what's right for you and your family. Sometimes luck is needed when you get hired. I too have been laid off, called back laid off, etc. Luckly there was some hireing done in the late 90's that gave me a little cushion. I got moved back 35 spots after the last COO and am still hanging on.:hide: DS.

It's starting to slow down here at CGB, but I'll be OK. The thing I don't get is some of the guys I run with live at or above their means. If its slow I still feel it but his summer I made sure to put awy money to help get by through the winter. Some of the guys freak out if they dont make 1200 a week and at the same time knock me cause I live as simply as I can.

It's starting to slow down here at CGB, but I'll be OK. The thing I don't get is some of the guys I run with live at or above their means. If its slow I still feel it but his summer I made sure to put awy money to help get by through the winter. Some of the guys freak out if they dont make 1200 a week and at the same time knock me cause I live as simply as I can.

Your do'in the right way, the hell with the rest of em...........

Why are the trucking news reports always printing that there is a driver shortage in North America?

I know when I was a Teamster working fultime with a union company my first four years I was on their lay off list.
But I was able to get casual work at other Teamster companies in my area while I was off.
I did go to sign up for unemployment once,I was told I made to much with three days work per week to draw any benefits.
After the four years there was enough that retired over me that I was finally safe.

It was hard giving up my Teamster card to go non-union,but since I've hired on with Overnite I've never been out of work.
I missed out on the great Teamsters pension fund,but money earned is about the same as if I was able to get on with another union company when my last union company went out of buisness.

May be just my opinion,but I like driving into work at the same company every day with no fear of being laid off.
As far as anyone in this trucking industry we've all got to do what we feel works best for us.

anyone hear that Jimmy Hoffa was going to reorganize Central Transport?
Get them back in the master Freight with UPS Freight?

anyone hear that Jimmy Hoffa was going to reorganize Central Transport?
Get them back in the master Freight with UPS Freight?

No, I hadn't heard that one yet. I did here that Hoffa had already won the election though. He's so far ahead that he can't loose.

Nashville...no work since the 5th...good thing i've got something lined up.
Hey you should come to CGB. Friday night they ran 12 guys around me, I guess to keep the bottom guys working. Then Saturday they did it again, calling 6 guys below me for team runs, when I had in a team preferance card and gave me a CVE at the same time. So it looks like I'm gonna get paid for some work I didn't have to do.

Hey you should come to CGB. Friday night they ran 12 guys around me, I guess to keep the bottom guys working. Then Saturday they did it again, calling 6 guys below me for team runs, when I had in a team preferance card and gave me a CVE at the same time. So it looks like I'm gonna get paid for some work I didn't have to do.

I sure wish the bottom of the board in COL could feel a little of that love the bottom of the CGB board is feelin!!!!

"We lost that lovin feelin in COL"