Yellow | layoffs

Oh, I can't blame the economy. I just think we overhired. Holland's guys that I see are still getting 15 hours of OT a week. Roadway's trailers are still pretty full. But ours are close to empty.

Fed-Ex guys tell me they're getting called in early most every day. I think we've lost bunches and bunches of freight to non-union carriers............Fed-Ex, Estes, Old Dominion, Watkins, Milan, Vitran. Their trucks are full.

the economy isn't the problem. Something at Yellow is, in my opinion. Too much success everywhere else.........

hey eaglescout/ 10 laidoff in columbus oh and have heard 15more this week but havnt got the letter yet ive not turned a wheel since 10/8 so why is yellows profits up 20% but ive not worked all year??

deaf dumb and blind said:
We have a North Carolina supplement to the contract.I was comparing this to the New York Supplement.
I have been on layoff, every day a non union cartage agent is in our terminal, driving our forklifts to load and unload himself.
How the hell can a non union guy come in and work on a union dock? Where is it written in the contract that allows this? I would be filing a grievence every day that this happens whether on lay off or not.

Everytime I ask the steward a question he defends the company 100% and tells me that what I read in the Master freight agreement does not pertain to me.

Ask the steward to show you exactly where in the contract that it doesn't apply to you. If you get no satisfaction, go over his head right to the business agent and ask him the same thing. If you are still not satisfied, go to the regional office and so on , even if you have to go right to the top at the National level. I certainly can't see how any Teamster Official could give you a satisfactory answer as to why they would allow a non union guy to be doing your work.

good answer animo seems like the down south mentality sure we might be down south but these are nationwide companies and a nationwide union. The companys try to push us around obviously. In my situation there is a man right above me on the board (by 2 weeks ) that is extremaly lazy. The sad part is I will get laid off while he continues to skate along collecting a check

Eaglescout,

If it weren't for guys like you and me, then the lazy guys would have to do some real work for a change.
Lord knows, there are plenty on every job.

jimmy g said:
Oh, I can't blame the economy. I just think we overhired.
Yes you can blame the economy,the govt keeps raising the cap on the gross federal debt,I wish I could just keep on raising my cap and keep on functioning as normal.spending by the govt is at an all time high since Reagan!

Holland's guys that I see are still getting 15 hours of OT a week. Roadway's trailers are still pretty full. But ours are close to empty.
Jimmy,see the Holland and Roadway forums they are laying also!

jimmy g said:
Oh, I can't blame the economy. I just think we overhired.
Yes you can blame the economy,the govt keeps raising the cap on the gross federal debt,I wish I could just keep on raising my cap and keep on functioning as normal.spending by the govt is at an all time high since Reagan!

Holland's guys that I see are still getting 15 hours of OT a week. Roadway's trailers are still pretty full. But ours are close to empty.
I don't know but read the other forums they're slow too! and laying off also.

the economy isn't the problem. Something at Yellow is, in my opinion. Too much success everywhere else.........
I disagree,I don't think its a company problem its the freight business in general and trucking company's are the first to feel the effects of a decline in manufacturing. We are feeling the effects now!!

Corn Bread said:
It won't happen until we make a change at the congressional level and higher up!!

The quickest way to get 1/4 of our board on layoff is to elect Dems to control the House of Reps. Charlie Rangle has already said he'll work to repeal the taxcuts, and then people have no incentive or money to buy and invest. There would go most of our jobs, for no one would buy things........

Think about it before Tuesday......

I was just in Manassas, Va terminal. Saturday morning myself and a Cleveland red sheet driver rode from the motel to the terminal together. He stated that at Midnight Saturday night 25 drivers including himself would be laidoff. (11/4/06)
And Columbus still only has (6) Six drivers on letter of layoff. The other 15 either haven't been mailed yet, or are on their way now!

jimmy g said:
The quickest way to get 1/4 of our board on layoff is to elect Dems to control the House of Reps. Charlie Rangle has already said he'll work to repeal the taxcuts, and then people have no incentive or money to buy and invest. There would go most of our jobs, for no one would buy things........

Think about it before Tuesday......
Jimmy,I don't believe that one bit,sounds like you've been watching the exploitation of the workingman fox news channel ! Gasoline has gone up up up and up some more but the highways are just as crowded and nobody is slowing down to conserve...so the tax repeal is hogwash and total bull,the same reason they give for not raising the minimum wage!! But yet after saying all that I have said,for the past five years the millionaire
republican-controlled congress has givin themselfs pay raise....and not even eliminating wasteful government spending,dont even get me started on cheap overseas labor,now do you want to talk about layoffs....

Yes your right,Think about it before Tuesday.

Its slow over here at FDXNTL. Our bill count dropped like a stone in Oct. No Christmas rush this year whatsoever. All i know is that i wish the senior guys over here had some protection from management. I envy you guys.

yo jimmy g....

david stockman, the major architect of 'reaganomics' resigned in 1985 after he realized that cutting taxes for the rich and corporations didn't create enough growth to equalize out the revenue loss in the first place....

it's good politics to promise tax cuts and bad fiscal policy to deliver them, especially during wartime.....

what this country needs right now is 10 million 20 dollar an hour jobs...

aint gonna happen.....

we're screwed, it will take at least 25 years to repair the economic damage bush 43 and his merry band of idiots has caused....

over the weekend the dow jones news wires picked up on the fact that ltl carriers had no christmas rush this year...

when the idiots on wall street pick up on why we're layin' off the beginning of november, we got serious problems....

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ps; David Stockman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pps; gotta love wikipedia for the case histories they keep....

I always hear not to cut taxes during wartime. On Sept 16,2006 it was the LARGEST EVER day of tax revenue to the government. So....if taxcuts actually bring MORE revenue, why are people against them??? Makes absolutely no sense to oppose tax cuts, the best friend of the working man. My post about Rangle's insistance is right on the money. Vote Dems and collapse this economy, and get more people laid off. :bicycle: I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Personally I'm for ending Income Tax altogether......

Everyone needs to vote this Tuesday!!

Vote with your heads, do not go in and pull a straight ticket. Take some time and look at what is going on and vote smart.

The only people you have to blame if who you want elected is not,is yourself. GO VOTE its a privilege in this country to VOTE. Take advantage of it.

Good thoughts. I shall. For some of my guys, I'm writing in the Constitution Party Candidate.

In regard to layoffs though; Wall Street likes stability. If it appears Rangle will be headof Ways and Means, look for trouble on Wall Street. And an already nervous TM, worried about numbers, will take action to stay in the black, so he'll lay off.

I no no one likes my ideas, but I've seen them happen time and time again. Reagan cut taxes, and the economy flourished. It was growing out of the deficit when he raised them -- that caused a recession. Bush41 raised them again. More recession. Clinton raised them, but Robert Reich refinanced the long term bonds, and got by with it. After 9/11, the only thing to save the economy was Bush43's taxcuts. There are a lot of things I differ with Bush43 on-- but the taxcuts work everytime they're tried. Vote to raise them by repealing the cuts, and workers get laid off. Every time. Why ask for that again??????????????