TForce | Layoffs

The miracle is over:

i did not realize that we have some drivers officially laid off and some drivers are now "on call." (i hadn't seen a few drivers for a few days, but wasn't clear what was going on. Perhaps they were sick or something? But i found out yesterday what was really going on.) i too, have found out a few hours ago that i am also now "on-call."----i was the next in line as far as senority. i am not on the schedule for tomorrow.

This crap just got REAL real.

I AM F'D.
As many always say...." when it affects you, then it gets real!"

As many always say...." when it affects you, then it gets real!"
There should NOT be a contractor at any terminal with any driver on lay off. But as you can plainly see......The company just keeps adding owner/ops and outside carriers to replace furloughed drivers.. Absolutely pathetic showing of Teamster leadership!!

this is why you need to go to the union hall and express your dislike over this matter. Yes the halls have been cancelling meetings but you can always grieve it, ring the ringer out of the ba's phone and then just stop paying dues until that gets there attention.

Still alive (barely):

Very strange:
Got called late sunday night by central asking me "if i wanted to run?" Keep in mynd i bid back to city in January and have since only run linehaul sporadically---to fill in if someone needed to take off. Being that i sat 3 days since last tuesday and was getting anxious, AND with the tow truck hired from the bank looming, i JUMPED at the chance even though i was within six minutes of getting into bed.

RAN MY ASS OFF and got around 500 miles, so grossed about $419-430ish. Even though i hate linehaul, i did have a blast; i think if i do it only every now and then, it's ok.

Then, yesterday got called in for city; STILL rushing around, STILL getting last minute pickups at impossible times----which means now you have to drive like hell to make the closing times. Picked up 9 pallets, 4 different shipments totaling over 6000lbs.

i have not been called yet today, so i ASSume i'm not working, which, actually suits me as i'm tired---probably from running WFO on sunday night. Even though i'm desperate for money.

P.S. Pants seem much looser. This is probably due to the fact that i'm just not eating as much as EVERYTHING IS CLOSED......

Last edited:
There should NOT be a contractor at any terminal with any driver on lay off. But as you can plainly see......The company just keeps adding owner/ops and outside carriers to replace furloughed drivers.. Absolutely pathetic showing of Teamster leadership!!

Should i/we be getting trailer and/or contractor tractor numbers in these cases? i saw one last saturday afternoon in a mall parking lot near where i live. i ASSume he was on 10-hr break.

Since he was in my vicinity, i ASSume that he may have left or was going to terminals near me that do have layoffs?

Last edited:
Should i/we be getting trailer and/or contractor tractor numbers in these cases? i saw one last saturday afternoon in a mall parking lot near where i live. i ASSume he was on 10-hr break.

Don't waste your time, multiple grievances have been filed, nothing will ever be done about it.

Since he was in my vicinity, i ASSume that he may have left or was going to terminals near me that do have layoffs?

Is purchased transport working at your place?

Not for city P+D. The linehaul contractor i saw was within 14 miles of my terminal, i assume on 10-hr break. Now, it's true he may have just been passing thru, but there are 4 terminals within 50 miles of where he was parked. And probably 4 more within 120 miles. Just seems a little too coincidental.....? Also, this was on the weekend, so it may be hard to monitor which terminal he may have been to or gone to----quick in and out drop and hook.

Still hanging on by a thread:

Just got called to work outbound dock for next week. i can learn to "love" dock REAL fast, even though i hate dock.

i think it's .25 cents per/hr less than driving? i'll take it.

this is why you need to go to the union hall and express your dislike over this matter. Yes the halls have been cancelling meetings but you can always grieve it, ring the ringer out of the ba's phone and then just stop paying dues until that gets there attention.

On a side note, our BA only answers calls from our stewards............

Hrs did have around 25 Cartage (dock, city, yard) guys laid off, not sure about road.
They shut down phl, pen, and ric mini hub operations and are routing all their freight through hrs now and have called 13 back to work.
Were slammed right now, Sunday, Monday Wednesday and Thursday nights have had 12 hours available, there's been at least 1 shift getting manditory extra day Friday and we can come in Saturday if we want.
There's several guys that haven't taken a day off in 25+ days and get double time every Sunday.

Hrs did have around 25 Cartage (dock, city, yard) guys laid off, not sure about road.
They shut down phl, pen, and ric mini hub operations and are routing all their freight through hrs now and have called 13 back to work.
Were slammed right now, Sunday, Monday Wednesday and Thursday nights have had 12 hours available, there's been at least 1 shift getting manditory extra day Friday and we can come in Saturday if we want.
There's several guys that haven't taken a day off in 25+ days and get double time every Sunday.

Yeah, i did hear grumpyburg, i mean hharrisburg is cray-cray right now. Should i temporarily transfer there?

UPDATE:
Worked linehaul on saturday, got about 500 miles. City yesterday. Dock today.

I heard they are closing or have closed Lynchburg and are merged with Roanoke.

That would make sense for the crisis; Lynchburg is teeny-tiny. They don't even have their own free-standing building----they rent out a suite in a larger warehouse which has other tenants in it.

NOTE:
If anyone knows of any terminal that has full-time-ish steady work and could use someone---please let me know.

i don't have any shorties so i can(and will) go anywhere at the drop of a hat.
Will do linehaul, prefer city. And will begrudgingly do dock---even clerk or OS+D

Just heard last night the rest of hrs dock and road are being recalled this week to start next week.
If hrs took your barns work you should be able to follow it and keep your seniority.
We had guys from yor transfer when we took their mini hub work a few years ago and they all dovetailed in.

Just heard last night the rest of hrs dock and road are being recalled this week to start next week.
If hrs took your barns work you should be able to follow it and keep your seniority.
We had guys from yor transfer when we took their mini hub work a few years ago and they all dovetailed in.

And i also "heard" that after the crisis is over (if it ever ends...) they want to keep grumpyburg as the new "MegaHub" and keep bichmond and all the other minihubs closed. This is not in concrete and i only "heard."

And i also "heard" that after the crisis is over (if it ever ends...) they want to keep grumpyburg as the new "MegaHub" and keep bichmond and all the other minihubs closed. This is not in concrete and i only "heard."
Thats flying around up here too, supposedly it's more efficient and cost effective.
Before this happened they experimented with bal I think it was for like 2 months and it worked to their liking.
This virus may be the excuse they're looking for to change the operation.

Thats flying around up here too, supposedly it's more efficient and cost effective.
Before this happened they experimented with bal I think it was for like 2 months and it worked to their liking.
This virus may be the excuse they're looking for to change the operation.
I hired in on march 15 at Harrisburg for straight dock did my 3 day orientation just as this covid thing was really hitting.they gave us employee numbers and allowed us to finish orientation,but they had to lay us off.they told us the they would call me and the 2 other guys in my class they would call us back as soon as enough work returned.i have been sitting home making really good unemployment. But I am hoping to get back soon.getting bored.i have 15 years of dock experience.many of those years as a good stacker/loader.so I would be a good help.took a break from freight for a while to do some farming.but need the Bennie's.