FedEx Freight | Merger with ground?

It’s amazing the traction this post has, considering it started with a complete BS post from a Facebook page.
There may be elements of truth, but then it gets carried away, misconstrued, and twisted.

The ABSOLUTE truth is the merging of SOME Express & Ground facilities, as reported months ago... FACT.

"Through Network 2.0, FedEx will be able to consolidate its facility footprint in more rural markets to a single station across operating companies, Smith said. In heavily populated markets, distinct Express and Ground operations will be co-located under one roof to better facilitate package transfers between companies. This will primarily occur in Ground facilities because they’re generally larger and more automated, Smith added."

In my opinion, this takes the (Freight) CONCEPT of Economy / Priority, within the same network, over to the package side of things. Absolutely do-able AND more efficient.

As far as using Ground Power to move Freight trailers and/or Freight Power to move Ground trailers, it seems to be much better than using outside carriers... WHEN we have the capacity to do so.

On a related note, I have been seeing a lot of FXG vans docked at our hubs, being loaded with freight. Anyone know why they're doing that?

We have some drivers running Ground and Express runs, but I don't know why we're using Ground trailers to move freight.

There may be elements of truth, but then it gets carried away, misconstrued, and twisted.

The ABSOLUTE truth is the merging of SOME Express & Ground facilities, as reported months ago... FACT.

"Through Network 2.0, FedEx will be able to consolidate its facility footprint in more rural markets to a single station across operating companies, Smith said. In heavily populated markets, distinct Express and Ground operations will be co-located under one roof to better facilitate package transfers between companies. This will primarily occur in Ground facilities because they’re generally larger and more automated, Smith added."

In my opinion, this takes the (Freight) CONCEPT of Economy / Priority, within the same network, over to the package side of things. Absolutely do-able AND more efficient.

As far as using Ground Power to move Freight trailers and/or Freight Power to move Ground trailers, it seems to be much better than using outside carriers... WHEN we have the capacity to do so.
About how I see it. Which makes sense without going into conspiracy theory land.

As opposed to...
"LoOk aT TeH FacTS!
aSK quEsTiONs, and RevIEW teH dATA! DoooOOOM!"

That article has some good information but not all of the cards are on the table. That is a high level article. Reduction of capital is not just a Ground / Express item... Anyone can look at a map of centers and see we have a pretty good amount that can/need to be consolidated.. You have a lane at a center that has 12k moving on avg and you can push that to another center that is also avg'ing less.. takes 1 less driver to run... What makes the most sense to do from a business aspect. Now than if every Opco runs the same equipment what does that open up? Why do you think Freight took over the rail... cheaper and can be somewhat efficient vs contractor cost.
Guess my point is.... an article is not going to have everything in it or the people that get impacted.. it is sugar coated to keep investor confidence at a high. No investor cares if it is the right thing to do for the workers... all they care about is profit. Anymore we are all just numbers the days of being valued and appreciated for years of hard work are gone.

Last edited:
On a related note, I have been seeing a lot of FXG vans docked at our hubs, being loaded with freight. Anyone know why they're doing that?

We have some drivers running Ground and Express runs, but I don't know why we're using Ground trailers to move freight.

I have to...I keep thinking to ask, but then I get caught up and forget

Are the ditches around you flooded with rainwater? The ground delivery drivers may be waiting for the water levels to go back down before they "deliver" the packages so it's sitting on FXG trailers til then.

We load a FXG van with our HUB frt. Our driver takes the FXG van to our HUB. Driver grabs an MT FXG van, goes to a FXG HUB, drops the MT. Picks up a loaded (small pack) FXG van and takes it to a FXG facility. Takes an MT FXG van back to their domicile.

We load a FXG van with our HUB frt. Our driver takes the FXG van to our HUB. Driver grabs an MT FXG van, goes to a FXG HUB, drops the MT. Picks up a loaded (small pack) FXG van and takes it to a FXG facility. Takes an MT FXG van back to their domicile.
Visitor here. And if your driver is getting paid FXFreight wages, that’s win/win IMO.

Wow... Van concept to where it can be interchangeable between networks... But we will never get rid of pups........

Wow... Van concept to where it can be interchangeable between networks... But we will never get rid of pups........
They have pups we could technically do the same thing on (Without the package bellies), but they don't seem to have a whole ton of them.

one year they borrowed a bunch of FXF pups when they were low on equipment near me, we gave them all of our pole trailers. :biglaugh: