XPO | Message for Corporate. Re: P&D Overtime

I might be off base here, if so tell me. My understanding is a bid is like a contract and management has no authority to mess with them, of course unless there is a change in operations. Does this warrant a change in operations? We went through a similar scenario a few years ago at my sic and the local management lost. Of course, too, this is a different company. Nuff said!

I might be off base here, if so tell me. My understanding is a bid is like a contract and management has no authority to mess with them, of course unless there is a change in operations. Does this warrant a change in operations? We went through a similar scenario a few years ago at my sic and the local management lost. Of course, too, this is a different company. Nuff said!
Your wrong. It's not like a contract. If you read the p&p, there is language in there that gives local management total control and flexibility to change or adjust start times, based on fluctuating freight volumes. The only time they have to go to the bid sheets, is if a position is added or deleted.

Your wrong. It's not like a contract. If you read the p&p, there is language in there that gives local management total control and flexibility to change or adjust start times, based on fluctuating freight volumes. The only time they have to go to the bid sheets, is if a position is added or deleted.
That's spot on, plus if they want to amend a policy they can and will do it to meet their needs. I will say it is better than years ago under Con-way at least we have something to reference online I think. Back then they were basically winging it . Law suits forced them into having written p&p. No p&p is nothing like a contract. A contract is binding legally as where p&p is a standardized reference for all locations if it needs to be amended it can at anytime by the company single handily. A contract change has to be negotiated by 2 parties generally at the beginning or end of it term unless both parties seek amendment for some unforeseen reason .

Last edited:
Hey.....hey, don't forget the line haul drivers that sit for an hour or two or three, for their loads. Short haulers get all the dock money, long haulers sit.

Yep. Get use to it. It doesn't take into consideration construction delay, or any real world problems we see on a daily basis.

This isn't anything new even at XPO/Con-way. My entire tenure there our local management acted as if the bare minimum of success is perfection in a world where all aspects of operations including customer performance is absolutely perfect.

Me and other 5 AM starters, are working 12-14 hours everyday. We have so much freight, its insane. Haven't seen this much since the last Teamster strike, back in the nineties, I believe. We couldn't cut OT here, if we had to.

Me and other 5 AM starters, are working 12-14 hours everyday. We have so much freight, its insane. Haven't seen this much since the last Teamster strike, back in the nineties, I believe. We couldn't cut OT here, if we had to.
That right there, is happening at a lot of barns. And that, it's what's throwing a huge wrench into their plan. Here's their choice: stick hard to the impossible goals they have set....and loose customers in the process, or...get the freight picked up, get it all delivered and have more OT. It's a no win. We all see it, they don't.

That right there, is happening at a lot of barns. And that, it's what's throwing a huge wrench into their plan. Here's their choice: stick hard to the impossible goals they have set....and loose customers in the process, or...get the freight picked up, get it all delivered and have more OT. It's a no win. We all see it, they don't.
You gave two choices Upnorth , but there's another: Communicate with the drivers and tackle the problem with their help. How many times have you ( meaning everyone ) seen management messing everything up and you knew hoy their "new" ideas were going to end - from experience...not because you're being a smartass.

The idea of preaching to your workers instead of having a give and take exchange of ideas will doom ANY company. It would be nice to see some heads come out of asses occasionally to try and get things right.

Your in the wrong country lmfao!

XTgiGKV.jpg

You gave two choices Upnorth , but there's another: Communicate with the drivers and tackle the problem with their help. How many times have you ( meaning everyone ) seen management messing everything up and you knew hoy their "new" ideas were going to end - from experience...not because you're being a smartass.

The idea of preaching to your workers instead of having a give and take exchange of ideas will doom ANY company. It would be nice to see some heads come out of asses occasionally to try and get things right.
Truth is, they don't want the ideas. Plain and simple. They don't care about our experience, or ideas. Instead of pulling heads out of asses, they simply burrow them further up the rectum.

Is your freight backed because of not having the right amount of employees or is your tonnage heavier from last year?

Hey.....hey, don't forget the line haul drivers that sit for an hour or two or three, for their loads. Short haulers get all the dock money, long haulers sit.
At UPGF we don't give up any time if we sit we actually got paid more than if we work on the dock .50 an hour but hey it's only money.

Later start times, condensed and heavier routes, delivering later, picking up later, getting back later doesn't equate to less hours or am I missing something?
P&D has a sweet spot as far as when it's best to peddle. By not enforcing a certain cut-time/return-to-home-domicile-time , you push the whole "circle of life" back to a later time. It then defeats the purpose.

Also , the majority of our customers are on a traditional schedule and expect their freight on a traditional schedule. Who's going to put up with freight delivered towards the end of your work day? May as well spend less money and have it delivered by a slower carrier that will show up earlier in the day.

P&D has a sweet spot as far as when it's best to peddle. By not enforcing a certain cut-time/return-to-home-domicile-time , you push the whole "circle of life" back to a later time. It then defeats the purpose.

Also , the majority of our customers are on a traditional schedule and expect their freight on a traditional schedule. Who's going to put up with freight delivered towards the end of your work day? May as well spend less money and have it delivered by a slower carrier that will show up earlier in the day.
Well at least some people get it. Those in charge though....well.....