TForce | might want to get some facts!

The unions did good for labor back in the day!

I have to give credit to the union for changing a lot of bad labor practies in the early years of America.

Child labor laws,sweat shops,OCHA all to the unions credit.

But a big strike shutting the intire US economy down in the mid 70's to gain one of the best contracts on record,brought on the deregulation of the industry.

The US government said that no organization in America would ever have the power to shut down the country again like the Teamsters did.

The teamsters fought against deregulation postpouning it for 2,or 3 years but it finaly happened.

The big three LTL trucking companies Consolidated Freightways,Roadway,and Yellow started discounting the freight rates to corner the freight market.

Smaller companies that had lost their lanes,or road rites because of deregulation couldn't compete at cut rates,and started dropping out of the industry.

Till what we have today.

Non-union companies filling the place of the older bankrupt union companies.

And the Teamsters union with a fraction of its members that are with the remaining union companies.

Ask yourself this question.
Do the Teamsters want us to join them for our best interests ,or theirs?

Its a known fact theres a driver shortage in North America.
Companies with good dependable qualified drivers will be willing to do what they can to retain them,without the help of any outside organization.

May be this is just my opinion but I've been trucking 20 years Teamsters 23 years non-union,and I see that if I do a good job,my TM thanks me.
In the union no matter what I did,they always wanted more.
So for me I'll take the non-union life.
It works for me.

Unfair Labor Practice charges

bunypnutdad said:
Befor we start jumping on the union band wagon,lets get so facts. Goto www.unionfacts.com this site is ran by union members read up on it. It NOT anti-union. Look at what the members don't like then ask yourself if you want to put you dog in that race?

http://www.unionfacts.com
The teamsters lead the way with the most charges.. 6909 from 1998 thru 2004. Go look for yourself.

bunypnutdad said:
Befor we start jumping on the union band wagon,lets get so facts. Goto www.unionfacts.com this site is ran by union members read up on it. It NOT anti-union. Look at what the members don't like then ask yourself if you want to put you dog in that race?

That site is not run by union members. Their own site says "The Center for Union Facts is a non-profit organization supported by foundations, businesses, union members, and the general public."

After looking through that site I can't help but wonder just what businesses and foundations are involved.

CFer said:
That site is not run by union members. Their own site says "The Center for Union Facts is a non-profit organization supported by foundations, businesses, union members, and the general public."

After looking through that site I can't help but wonder just what businesses and foundations are involved.

We all know there are 2 sides to everything....But if every time someone points out something and it is automatically dicounted as false, after awhile the discounting become a place of suspicion . I know what I feel needs to happen. But also, why is everything wrong if it is not copmpletely pro Teamsters?

This site is not run by union members. Even most of the one s I know who disagree with what my local does WOULD NEVER POST INFO ON HOW TO DECERTIFY. There are things i don't like that my local does but I don't think this side presents both sides equally. Neither does the teamsters website. I guess my point all along has been this: Should you guys decide to go union, you get to pick what goes in your contract, who your business agents are, who your stewards are. The union like anything else in life is what the members in their respective workplaces make of it, nothing more nothing less.

ftaf08 said:
This site is not run by union members. Even most of the one s I know who disagree with what my local does WOULD NEVER POST INFO ON HOW TO DECERTIFY. There are things i don't like that my local does but I don't think this side presents both sides equally. Neither does the teamsters website. I guess my point all along has been this: Should you guys decide to go union, you get to pick what goes in your contract, who your business agents are, who your stewards are. The union like anything else in life is what the members in their respective workplaces make of it, nothing more nothing less.

True but it takes hands on experience to show the good and bad of things. And convincing all these employees to open their eyes to it all is a whole different ball game.....Its either the past, stories, or in some cases dealing with complete boneheads that think the way to win votes is to strongarm that we are all fighting with.

greezy trucker said:
True but it takes hands on experience to show the good and bad of things. And convincing all these employees to open their eyes to it all is a whole different ball game.....Its either the past, stories, or in some cases dealing with complete boneheads that think the way to win votes is to strongarm that we are all fighting with.
I understand what you are saying, I guess I am just trying to put out what my experience is. Either way you guys go, I recognize that the choice is your and I respect that.

When I was a Teamster the buisness agents had a lock on their jobs..

untill they retired and left a spot open for a union trustie or anyother dues paying member in good standing that could campain,for the open spot.

Our company local stewards were any of our co-workers voted in by a majority of the dues paying members at the terminal,but also had to be agreed on by the local rep.'s to have everyones best interests at heart without just representing favorites.
One for so many workers.

If we had a disagreement with management we would write it out in triplicuit a copy to the TM,one for the steward,and we kept one so that when we had our talk to straighten the matter out nothing could be left hanging by either party being in writting.

If the matter wasn't able to be agreed on at that time it went to the local,if not setteled there onto Washington D.C.depending how serious it was.
Whatever the outcome other than your last accident,win,or lose you may,retain your job.

I like it a lot better,at Overnite/UPS Freight.
Anything no matter how minor,or serious I can go to my (TM) A.S.A.P.and get it resolved.

I like the face, to face,one ,on one,relationship of a good open talkfest with my authority figure to get any,and all difficulties brought out,and gotten over with the same day.

As for me this works very well,I know for a lot of you other posters you need representation,so whatever works for you.
I'm good with that.

Apostolic said:
I like it a lot better,at Overnite/UPS Freight.
Anything no matter how minor,or serious I can go to my (TM) A.S.A.P.and get it resolved.

I like the face, to face,one ,on one,relationship of a good open talkfest with my authority figure to get any,and all difficulties brought out,and gotten over with the same day.

As for me this works very well,I know for a lot of you other posters you need representation,so whatever works for you.
I'm good with that.
Apostolic, Are you suggesting that nobody at a Unionized Company can go talk to his boss? That's not accurate. Most issues that come up can be taken care of before a grievance is ever written. On the other hand, when an issue can't be resolved mutually, a grievance can be written and settled by the Committee, made up of equal members from the Union and the Company. Alot has changed in the 23 years since you were in the Teamsters. It's not the strongarming and screaming matches that it once was......it's more like a business meeting where everyone treats each other with respect even if they disagree with the others position on a any given matter.

bunypnutdad said:

Don't you want to get paid for your wait time, and not partial pay per hour? Maybe at your terminal you don't have to wait. We mostly do layovers out here and it would be nice if we could get paid full rate after our 14 again. Since layover was cut in half the dispatchers don't have a problem letting us rot in the hotel. Miles were cut, in my case 11 up and another 11 back. This all adds up, sometimes over $300 dollars a check byweekly when they cut my run and make me wait for 2nd truck. Right now NMFA looks real good.

bunypnutdad said:

Since people are in the mood to read then why not explore both sides of the debate and decide where the truth and lies really are and who exactly benifits the most from sites such as " unionfacts " . Read on .... research the issue, check other web sites, remember big business can manipulate the press and people with their cash and corruption.

http://www.pww.org/article/articleview/8817/1/314

steve5 said:
Don't you want to get paid for your wait time, and not partial pay per hour? Maybe at your terminal you don't have to wait. We mostly do layovers out here and it would be nice if we could get paid full rate after our 14 again. Since layover was cut in half the dispatchers don't have a problem letting us rot in the hotel. Miles were cut, in my case 11 up and another 11 back. This all adds up, sometimes over $300 dollars a check byweekly when they cut my run and make me wait for 2nd truck. Right now NMFA looks real good.
You are not being open minded(lol)....How hard is this point to make.....Time is money and that is that....If I am going to be away from my family that to me should = MONEY.....

flstc2000 said:
Since people are in the mood to read then why not explore both sides of the debate and decide where the truth and lies really are and who exactly benifits the most from sites such as " unionfacts " . Read on .... research the issue, check other web sites, remember big business can manipulate the press and people with their cash and corruption.

http://www.pww.org/article/articleview/8817/1/314

That is my kind of article....DRIPPING with sarcasm and snide remarks...I love it.....You and the article are right money can take the simplest fact and twist it all up in any way you want read it...People go to school to learn this and then are paid very well to spin the sh$t out of stuff....