SAIA | Nanny-cams

If you have been paying attention, you would know that the parameters and boundaries at Saia is different at every terminal. What may be acceptable at DLS may not be in SLC. I think it may have something to do with how easy it is to hire new drivers in that location.
What's more, the cameras may very well go against SAIA as some sharp lawyer could find something the driver was doing in an accident and sue SAIA. Something that can't be seen now. I don't know what world you live in Train, but, lawyers will be out to use this against SAIA every chance they get.

Last edited:
He's right. Too much inconsistency company wide. I saw it firsthand more times than I can count. Just run linehaul and you'll see where and what you can get away with. Smoking, padlocks, seat belts, you name it. If you are going to have any policy, it needs to be consistently enforced or you open yourself up to litigation. Saia would never let it go to court and risk exposure, but it will cost money.

Maybe it's just me but didn't the driver just get caught violating the Smith System rules of not looking ahead, getting the big picture, and not leaving himself an out. This driver had to hit the grass, which probably meant a wrecker ride. Train's coaching session wasn't so polite after he got caught without a seatbelt and backing to a customer's dock. Train's after comments don't seem to indicate a smile and a handshake and this was with no damage or customer complaint.
...IMO Lytx should have never sent that video over. It's forcing me to change what has worked for over 40+ years of safe driving. And that's just not right....
This other driver gets up with a smile and a handshake after parking one in the grass. I don't think that's very realistic. Anyone disagree?

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me but didn't the driver just get caught violating the Smith System rules of not looking ahead, getting the big picture, and not leaving himself an out. This driver had to hit the grass, which probably meant a wrecker ride. Train's coaching session wasn't so polite after he got caught without a seatbelt and backing to a customer's dock. Train's after comments don't seem to indicate a smile and a handshake and this was with no damage or customer complaint.
...IMO Lytx should have never sent that video over. It's forcing me to change what has worked for over 40+ years of safe driving. And that's just not right....
This other driver gets up with a smile and a handshake after parking one in the grass. I don't think that's very realistic. Anyone disagree?
The handshake was him being happy for not being hit with a preventable accident I suppose. It's hard to say he violated the Smith System guidelines because the car came out of nowhere with no time to react. Without that video it would have probably been said he could have done something to prevent it. This doesn't seem to be the case at least from the video perspective. He maintained control and didn't jackknife or roll. He did something right. No damage except maybe a cleaning charge for his soiled underwear. I understand your point Dracula and I'm not trying to dismiss it. I watched Rick's 4th quarter video results today and the new "ignite campaign" and was impressed. The SAIA CULTURE is alive. DriveCam is here to stay so we might as well accept it and see the positive. I'm proud to be part of the SAIA FAMILY. And like with anything in life we must all take the good with the bad. I admit I wasn't happy about my situation but I will get over it and hopefully become a better driver.

Last edited:
You got to remember the same people who made this video are the same people who believe that every trailer gets closed 30 minutes before your gate time. Your Hazmat paperwork is in order, placard correctly, seal is correct, and the previous driver did a proper post trip. No excuses.....

So, I witnessed a Saia trailer running down the road yesterday. Set of pups. Shrink wrap was railing behind, whipping in the wind. There was a trailer seal I noticed, but no padlock. Is that a violation of policy? And who is responsible? Who sealed the trailer in that condition? I'm not a cop, but I think that was at least a distraction/unsafe. And no padlocks anymore...that's struck me as odd.

It is company policy that any trailer moving down the road is to be padlocked or bolt sealed. If the trailer is loaded, then a plastic seal, which matches the manifest seal number, is to be used or a bolt seal matching the manifest number can be substituted. if the trailer is empty, a padlock must be used to secure the trailer. If the trailer does not have a lock or bolt seal, that is on the driver. As far as the shrink wrap goes, when the driver clears the gate, he bought it as is.

Do any of you really believe these cams will save anything? Ambulance chasing attorneys will still file the law suites. They will check every detail of that drivers day. Can they prove the driver was not well rested? Phone records might prove he did not get much sleep while he was off duty. Did he take his full manditory break? Most terminals have yard cameras. Did that driver do any work related activities while off duty? Maybe he fueled while on his break, did he hook his set while on that break...
There are so many other things that can prove that a driver was not compliant. I dont believe the cameras will do anything but add cost and headaches for the Saia managment. What will the cost be to retrain drivers who need "coached" and Saia is paying two drivers for a week to do the same job.... x 10 drivers a month, x 20
How about the cost of replacing drivers? Terminated or resigned?
Driver facing cams... can you figure how big the sign on bonus, it will take to fill that vacant seat?
The way i see it. Whatever amout the management will save on accidents will pale to all the other cost they will incur. Let alone the cost of the equipment and monitoring........
Cameras are not the answer.
The answer is...... finding experienced drivers that can do the job. Employees that can be counted on to come to work everyday and get the job done. Drivers who will call out fellow drivers not meeting expectations. I believe this can be done without being spied on... if you want the real answers to success,
ASK the drivers.... they are your bread and butter. Dont tell them how to do the job the biggest majority have be doing all along......

Do any of you really believe these cams will save anything? Ambulance chasing attorneys will still file the law suites. They will check every detail of that drivers day. Can they prove the driver was not well rested? Phone records might prove he did not get much sleep while he was off duty. Did he take his full manditory break? Most terminals have yard cameras. Did that driver do any work related activities while off duty? Maybe he fueled while on his break, did he hook his set while on that break...
There are so many other things that can prove that a driver was not compliant. I dont believe the cameras will do anything but add cost and headaches for the Saia managment. What will the cost be to retrain drivers who need "coached" and Saia is paying two drivers for a week to do the same job.... x 10 drivers a month, x 20
Driver facing cams... can you figure how big the sign on bonus, it will take to fill that vacant seat?
The way i see it. Whatever amout the management will save on accidents will pale to all the other cost they will incur. Let alone the cost of the equipment and monitoring........
The answer is...... finding experienced drivers that can do the job. Employees that can be counted on to come to work everyday and get the job done. Drivers who will call out fellow drivers not meeting expectations. I believe this can be done without being spied on... if you want the real answers to success,
ASK the drivers.... they are your bread and butter. Dont tell them how to do the job the biggest majority have be doing all along......

You make some valid points but you are wrong about cost savings IMO. The research have proved otherwise. In the long run these cameras will save the company money ....THE LONG RUN ... They will cut down on major accidents that cost the company millions. That hits the bottom line harder than anything else.

A little more of a follow up,

All of life these days is about covering your a**.
It is not just that you will have a job loss... you will go to jail. If any of the above actions can be proven...
Experienced drivers know and understand that doing things correctly and not cutting corners can and will save your biscuts in a worse case scenaro...
Other drivers dont have the forthought to understand that the15 minutes you save cutting corners could cost you your career and maybe your freedom.

Phone useage.
I understand a few cases of distracted drivers have been disastrous. But look at the other side.
Research has shown that the human body is not really efficient at working a nightshift. It is physically and mentally demanding. Every driver has a different way of overcoming these obstacles. Some drink coffee, some stop for a nap.
Some use personal interaction, and since your in a truck, They use a phone. This is also used for company bennefit. Traffic and weather conditions, help a driver with directions and instructions.
Dispatch contact when there is a urgent need.
Drivers spend a lot of time at work. It gives them a way to stay in touch with family, which they might only get to see a few hours a week. And wouldnt the company rather have a driver resting while off durt instead of taking care of things that could have been handled with a call.

It really all boils down to driver responci
You make some valid points but you are wrong about cost savings IMO. The research have proved otherwise. In the long run these cameras will save the company money ....THE LONG RUN ... They will cut down on major accidents that cost the company millions. That hits the bottom line harder than anything else.

A little more of a follow up,

All of life these days is about covering your a**.
It is not just that you will have a job loss... you will go to jail. If any of the above actions can be proven...
Experienced drivers know and understand that doing things correctly and not cutting corners can and will save your biscuts in a worse case scenaro...
Other drivers dont have the forthought to understand that the15 minutes you save cutting corners could cost you your career and m

If the cameras run off a sizable number of experenced and reliable drivers. What do you think you're going to get to replace them? Less experienced and reliable drivers who in turn have even more accidents. So in my humble opinion it is cutting off your nose to spite your face

I'll chime in. A previous poster mentioned "ask the drivers" as a solution. In my experience at Saia, the culture existed and was nurtured that drivers are there for one reason: to drive. The company doesn't care about opinions, experiences, suggestions, any of that. That falls into the scope of managers. And managers are not drivers and vice versa.

If the cameras run off a sizable number of experenced and reliable drivers. What do you think you're going to get to replace them? Less experienced and reliable drivers who in turn have even more accidents. So in my humble opinion it is cutting off your nose to spite your face

If just one of those replacement drivers who might not have ever pulled pups or worked nights has a bad night.......,..............
what have they gained?