Central Transport | New SW Vice President Quits

They did the same thing to GBY terminal, they shut I down, waited I'm guessing 5 years and now its back open. Des plaines, Il (originally Palatine) closed for 7 years reopening in Oswego,Il. Peoria, Il, Matoon, Il, Rockford,il , Madison, Wi, Kokomo, In, and may others have been shut down until Vitran gets their act together. I don't think downsizing will help, Its finding those weak links & eliminating them is going to be a long brutal process. What makes it brutal is that weak links will try to fire everyone around them before they walk the plank. some ways of telling when a weak link is around is people will start getting NFI's or employees will either get suspended or terminated for forgetting to dot an I, A 7 looks like a 1 or a 5 looks like a 6 on your paperwork, you forgot to punch in so I can't pay you, you come to work on time but can't punch in because that weak link failed to notice the previous shift slacking and over compensates by cutting your pay.
If "Chasing Greatness" will result in hard working employees worrying about losing their jobs, then I guess I my job is to make sure "Greatness never gets Caught" thats what I call job security. Simple

Last time greatness was caught Fedex told their employees to jump off the ship before I make you jump. Welcome to Vitran Fedex employees, thanks for not really getting to know the current associates.

i always punch in on my scheduled start time, whether my load is ready or not. i'm not sitting around for free because of their shortfalls.

i always punch in on my scheduled start time, whether my load is ready or not. i'm not sitting around for free because of their shortfalls.

And that is the law. If you have, say, a 8 am start, if your not punched in you get a late charge, then yes, according to Fed Law if you are required to be on the property and ready for work, they have to pay you whether you actually start work or not. There is a gray area about how much lead time they need to give you about delays, basically if they call you and you are off the property on your way in and they say wait an hour, then you have to. If you are on the property they cannot delay your punch in time due to you reported at the correct time.

It managements job to make sure we are ready at our start times...and if we are not ready, then its there job to find us something to do..our start time is our start time...dont expect us to do there job to

and don't expect me to call the consignee ahead of time, i'll e-mail the office and they can call them. i pay my phone bill, not vitran.

Once they catch on then they will put on the new emegency bid "on call" or"extra", once they get a feel then they will post letters around the time clock saying " Monday start 1 hour before start time", then them "on call" drivers especially the favorites will start before drivers with senority. Them favorites are willing to "Chase Greatness" by ignoring the law. When I first started driving a truck the first company I worked for had already caught Greatness, Within 6 months I was a senior driver. Never asked myself where was the drivers that made this company. After 1 year I found Greatness behind a tractor shop, I quit some time later. Second company, I'm ashamed to say I helped them catch greatness, I'm still wounded.

If you don't know who "Greatness" is, it you enslaving yourself to benefit the company. When you go to work its all for you, not the other way around. If Vitran closes down then they failed. But if they succeed you will be out of a job.

The wounds only hurt when you see your previous employer trucks blows your doors off with brand new eqipment and dumb wet behind the ears drivers smiling working for half the pay.

You cant change the past...But you can ruin the present by worrying about the future. Let management manage.....Thats their job...are job is tough enough as it is...If they destroy the company thats on them....We are the labor...It will be alot easier for us to find another job than them...Just do your job the best you can with the tools you have to work with...That way you can always hold your head high, and say you did the best you could..The rest was out of your hands.

You cant change the past...But you can ruin the present by worrying about the future. Let management manage.....Thats their job...are job is tough enough as it is...If they destroy the company thats on them....We are the labor...It will be alot easier for us to find another job than them...Just do your job the best you can with the tools you have to work with...That way you can always hold your head high, and say you did the best you could..The rest was out of your hands.

Great post runaway train. The vast majority of drivers ( whether city or linehaul) are good guys working hard to put food on the table. Vitran is simply a complete mess of a company for many many reasons beyond the drivers. The latest management team is in way above their head. They figured they would pop in and clean things up in a couple of months until they realized there were issues from top to bottom. Notice I did say from top to bottom. These Fedex guys are used to running things from the front office/terminal managers office. They've never had to get their hands dirty or pearl dive for freight. The good people in management and sales are starting to leave and that will ramp up over the next several months as most realize this boat ain't gonna float too much longer. 4th Q loss should easily supass the 3rd Q loss of 10.2 million because of Sandy, the 4th Q historic slowdown of businesss and the customer base that continues to flee because of damages, unpaid claims, transit delays, lost freight , cross delivered freight etc.

i figure it prob won't make it past 2nd qtr next year. after the 4th qtr results are posted and i do believe that's chris keylons 1st complete year in charge, vitran canada will look long and hard at the u.s. operations. was'nt it rumored that keylon was given 1 year to turn this thing around? i think he turned it into a flat spin. i'm going to try and get a job early next year so i can get all my pay, vacation and pto time out of them. i've about had enough of holding on waiting for better things. this thing is ready to flatline and somebody call quincy. lmfao.

i figure it prob won't make it past 2nd qtr next year. after the 4th qtr results are posted and i do believe that's chris keylons 1st complete year in charge, vitran canada will look long and hard at the u.s. operations. was'nt it rumored that keylon was given 1 year to turn this thing around? i think he turned it into a flat spin. i'm going to try and get a job early next year so i can get all my pay, vacation and pto time out of them. i've about had enough of holding on waiting for better things. this thing is ready to flatline and somebody call quincy. lmfao.

Word has it " had enough" as you said, CK was given 45 million at the end of Jan 2012 to turn it around. Vitran Canada makes around 3 million profit a year ( as mostly a non asset based operation) and Vitran Logistics makes another 3 million bucks doing what they do. So, 6 million profit does not offset a projected 35 million dollar loss by Vitran USA LTL for 2012. Assuming they cannot turn the ship around on a dime ( does any ship turn around on a dime?) they will lose another 10 million through mid year 2013 and be flat broke. RG will no longer support the boat that won't float and will cut the ballast which is the employees benefits,pay etc. At that point, the boat will roll over and will sink. Trust me and others, the time frame is no later than mid July next year. Get out while you can brothers !

Sell the supply chain, make $100 mil, pay off debts and you should have around $40-45 mil of capital. Take into consideration we lose $10 mil every 12 weeks then we should have enough $$ to last a year

Sell the supply chain, make $100 mil, pay off debts and you should have around $40-45 mil of capital. Take into consideration we lose $10 mil every 12 weeks then we should have enough $$ to last a year
They won't do that...And from a business stand point it wouldnt make sense. That is the one thing that makes Vitran money...The Shareholders only smart move would be to cut their losses...To sell that division and sink the money into a ship that is sinking would be a financial blunder. They could at least recoup some of their money in the up coming years with that profitable division...They must salvage what remains or risk losing it all. They know this next quarter will lose..They are prepared for that...But let me assure you of this, They have invested to much money and come to far to give up now...They will give Chris until the 2nd or 3rd quarter of 2013 to get the operations ratio in the black. And if he can't, they will pull the plug on the US operations. And recoup their money in the supply chain..And really thats the only option they have to save Vitran Canada's shareholders a major loss in the stock

Last edited by a moderator: