Yellow | new trucks all the yrc guys r waiving

Phantom 753.......lets jiff that baby up and make pull a YRC trailer to really show how BI-Polar this company is:17142: a "Yellow-Roadway-GreenMachine" has 10 million miles on the original engine and I betcha she runs like the devil in the wind:1036316054: Amazing not a dent on her.

u got it. this truck pulls very well. i had 14k in a 53 box going up Stormville mtn (east fishkill, ny) & didn't have to drop a gear. Its not all roses, there is an annoying beeping noise inside the dash that comes on and off. also the abs lite for the truck doesn't shut off. i found another button almost like a parking brake button but it was all black and said "use only for low gear only". whats that about?

u got it. this truck pulls very well. i had 14k in a 53 box going up Stormville mtn (east fishkill, ny) & didn't have to drop a gear. Its not all roses, there is an annoying beeping noise inside the dash that comes on and off. also the abs lite for the truck doesn't shut off. i found another button almost like a parking brake button but it was all black and said "use only for low gear only". whats that about?

locks the spyder gears for posi-traction. it will pop out to normal when you grab high range used for snow traction, be careful. the tractor will kick sideways.

Series 60 Detroit. Best engines we ever had imo.

I can remember standing on the frame of the tractor and pulling the fifth wheel back with a dock hook, before a couple of drivers or mechanics came up with the ideal for that bar. I also remember the Roadway jiff's that had the bar that you would let down to hold it up. The bar that would just fold down, without a wheel on the end of it.

It was a hinged 3" diameter pipe with a piece of angle iron welded on one side. It dropped down when you converted from 3 axle to 2 axle. It kept the tongue from falling to the ground. That angle iron had a hole for a pin and there was a slot in the "basket" that it fit through and a matching piece of angle iron to keep it up when you had doubles.:popcorn:
Big R spared no expense!:hide:

They all had air ride cabs. Best riding tractors this outfit ever had!

Al, I returned one [2003 model yr.] 3 weeks ago to Deer Park, NY. 116. 41 thousand plus on a set. That cab made the Tappan Zee Bridge feel smooth. I wish we still had air ride cabs. One of Our Hsbg. city men has one assigned. Polished up, new tires, new muffler and stack. Clean and well kept. I walk past it every night and wish they would hook it for me. :shift:

They were quite the line haul tractor when brand new. Weren't they one of the first line haul tractors that Roadway leased?

They all had air ride cabs. Best riding tractors this outfit ever had!

i noticed the leaf spring suspension & i was thinking it was going to be a rough ride. but was shocked on how smooth it was. the mileage was 250 thousand + a million lol. model year 2001. the year i graduated from high school

There was only one thing fancy about those old VN Volvos, Roadway ordered them with aluminum steer axle wheels. Other than that they were bare bones, fleet spec power. But Big R MAINTAINED their equipment very well.

Al, I returned one [2003 model yr.] 3 weeks ago to Deer Park, NY. 116. 41 thousand plus on a set. That cab made the Tappan Zee Bridge feel smooth. I wish we still had air ride cabs. One of Our Hsbg. city men has one assigned. Polished up, new tires, new muffler and stack. Clean and well kept. I walk past it every night and wish they would hook it for me. :shift:
I had my own assigned pumpkin for a year or two. Roadway maintained the outside appearance and I kept the inside bright orange.

They were quite the line haul tractor when brand new. Weren't they one of the first line haul tractors that Roadway leased?

I think the first ones were the 814 series, then the 824, then the last of the Omaha Orange & George Washington Blue ones, 835's. Then came the 755 screws and 855 singles.

I think the first ones were the 814 series, then the 824, then the last of the Omaha Orange & George Washington Blue ones, 835's. Then came the 755 screws and 855 singles.

I was a city driver with Roadway from 1981 until 2009. Back when Roadway would would put a new tractor in the city and maintain it for ten years. And put an old line haul tractor in the city but keep it running and looking good.

this one is all black inside with power passenger window. power passenger mirror ooh la la. i will get the truck number on Monday nite. its written in truck with marker but don't remember the #. i also noticed a fuel crossover line

The original Roadway # would be six digits. Starting with an 8. I doubt that would still be written in the interior, but it might. After the merger, when they were De-processed and put in the city, they put 4 digit #'s on them starting with a 6.

I bet I could still jiff that tractor and only get grease on my gloves.

Pull the pins, hit a couple of gears , hit the brakes and watch her slid that fifth wheel. Ah remember doing those conversions in the snow and ice, that was an event to watch;)