Yellow | Next Century's bid for Yellow back on table

Gave mine away...though I didn't have enough time to be vested, so I really wasn't giving anything away. Had I been drinking the IBT flavored Kool-Aid for 25 years, I'd probably grown accustomed to the taste and would have just stuck it out for another 5 myself. Would have had to do the math to determine if it was worth it.
You said it all, Ex. I agree, if you had that much time invested you would have "stuck it out". Quite a few of us did for just that reason.

With as bad as the Teamsters are I'm surprised you went to another union company...I mean after all you could see the writing on the wall and all...oh wait that's right another five years you could retire with a 30 year pension at a young age of 55....of course we should all give our pensions away according to you...Bless Your Heart
Bless the taxpayers hearts!

Yes another fool paying deadbeats bills...
That’s interesting that you have referred to those who paid into a MEPF as deadbeats. Those who participate in MEPFs contribute with the expectation of receiving a benefit. When employers negotiate with the Union, they propose an economic package. Once the proposal has been examined, the affected employees decide; through their union how the money should be distributed. IE, wages, health and welfare and pension. Do you have an alternate plan for a dignified retirement? Perhaps abolish the cap on FICA contributions. That would certainly add significant funds for the Social Security Trust Funds.

Once the proposal has been examined, the affected employees decide; through their union how the money should be distributed. IE, wages, health and welfare and pension. Do you have an alternate plan for a dignified retirement?

Yes. Much higher wages, far fewer paid benefits. Don't give me stuff I don't need or want involuntarily while giving me less in order to do so. Let the employee take responsibility/decide how they wish to invest for their own retirement.

Perhaps abolish the cap on FICA contributions. That would certainly add significant funds for the Social Security Trust Funds.

If we are going to abolish the cap on FICA contributions, we shouldn't cap the FICA benefits.

With as bad as the Teamsters are I'm surprised you went to another union company...I mean after all you could see the writing on the wall and all...oh wait that's right another five years you could retire with a 30 year pension at a young age of 55....of course we should all give our pensions away according to you...Bless Your Heart
I have never said anyone should give their pensions away. The only risk to your pension was the refusal of the union to tell you the truth and the mismanagement of the money. What I have repeatedly said is the taxpayer owes me nothing. There is no reason why a country that is 32 trillion in debt should be bailing out private pensions. The pension was a contractual agreement between employer and union and administered by various pension funds. The government owed me nothing.
I have also said that defined benefit pensions are unsustainable. The bailout proved that and changed nothing to make pension funds self sustaining. The matching 401K is the alternative. The match is free money, and all the money belongs to the employee and his heirs. None of the money in the pension fund belongs to you. You do not have an account. The 401K money goes in and grows tax free. Of course, that requires personal responsibility and discipline. Traits the majority of the population lacks. Life is about choices, something else I have said repeatedly.
As for the writing on the wall, I saw that very clearly at Yellow shortly after signing on. It was 1999 and my Teamster brothers and sisters were all talking about how much money Yellow was making and how we should get more of it. 26 million dollars in the third quarter. That was less than $1000.00 per employee.

Last edited:
He has said all the above, plus he said in a post that he was glad that Butch Lewis passed, but he was against it....what the hell is that?
Yup, I said that. On a personal level, it was good for me. It was bad legislation that forced the taxpayers to pay private pensions, that is wrong. A nation that is $32 trillion should not be giving welfare to Teamsters. They should not be guaranteeing me or anyone else $20.19 an hour to not work. The worst part of the Butch-Lewis is that it allowed the existing system to remain in place, knowing that it would never be self sustaining.

That’s interesting that you have referred to those who paid into a MEPF as deadbeats. Those who participate in MEPFs contribute with the expectation of receiving a benefit. When employers negotiate with the Union, they propose an economic package. Once the proposal has been examined, the affected employees decide; through their union how the money should be distributed. IE, wages, health and welfare and pension. Do you have an alternate plan for a dignified retirement? Perhaps abolish the cap on FICA contributions. That would certainly add significant funds for the Social Security Trust Funds.
Yes, abolish the cap on FICA. That would not increase benefits, but it would probably ensure Social Security's viability.
You do not contribute to the funds. Write or call and ask for a statement of your account. Specifically ask how much money is in your account. You don't have an account. You have no money there. You have nothing that you can withdrawal or transfer. Your "contributions" have purchased an annuity.
The expectation of receiving a benefit. An expectation, not a guaranty. The government owes you nothing!

Yes, abolish the cap on FICA. That would not increase benefits, but it would probably ensure Social Security's viability.
No thank you. Cut the fat elsewhere to shore up social security benefits. There's zero reason anybody should pay 5, 10 or 20x as much in taxes and receive the same benefit. A max contribution exists because there's a max benefit amount.
You do not contribute to the funds.

I absolutely do contribute.
Your "contributions" have purchased an annuity.
No they haven't. They've gone into Department of Treasury trust funds investing in T-Bills.
The expectation of receiving a benefit. An expectation, not a guaranty. The government owes you nothing!
Agreed.

Yup, I said that. On a personal level, it was good for me. It was bad legislation that forced the taxpayers to pay private pensions, that is wrong. A nation that is $32 trillion should not be giving welfare to Teamsters. They should not be guaranteeing me or anyone else $20.19 an hour to not work. The worst part of the Butch-Lewis is that it allowed the existing system to remain in place, knowing that it would never be self sustaining.
So let me get this straight of your thinking. There have been contributions paid in on my behalf for 34 years and in 2 I can retire. These contributions have been negotiated, correct? And all pension plans are insured by the PBGC which is a government agency.
My fund has paid the required PBGC premiums which are set by the government.
So in 2 years the fund goes broke and I should get nothing? But a woman with 4 kids by 4 deadbeat dads that don’t work or support the kids they brought into this world and are responsible for should get my tax payer money? Did the girl pay insurance premiums so she could get welfare? Did the deadbeat dads pay insurance premiums to government as well to support their kids?
I think it’s time the working people get protected by the government.

My fund has paid the required PBGC premiums which are set by the government.
So in 2 years the fund goes broke and I should get nothing?

You should get the minimum guaranteed by the PBGC

But a woman with 4 kids by 4 deadbeat dads that don’t work or support the kids they brought into this world and are responsible for should get my tax payer money?
We definitely need some serious welfare reform. The government protecting the working people doesn't help that situation.

We definitely need some serious welfare reform. The government protecting the working people doesn't help that situation.
That is the west coast liberal mentality. Why should a worker be penalized because of the date of retirement and paid less than someone who retired earlier. What was paid in is what I accrued for my retirement. What some financial consultant projected, what was determined by the funds. So if you’re sad or upset that you didn’t stay long enough to get any pension based on vesting and years of service that’s on you. I am sure the endangered frog or any other species the government saved or the money they wasted on the natural gas station in Iraq for a country that had no cars equipped for LNG has not contributed anything worthwhile to society like the good men and women did moving goods to society for the betterment of mankind. So look at this from a “ consultant” view. It was a damn good investment the government made this time.
Thank you very much for your selfless contribution to the American taxpayer who earned it. End of conversation.

have you seen welfare payments lately? I don't think they have gone up in 20 years. The real money is getting your kids on social security for autism or something

have you seen welfare payments lately? I don't think they have gone up in 20 years. The real money is getting your kids on social security for autism or something
Not sure where you heard that. Maybe the biased reports where they say such payments, though increasing, don't have any additional buying power than they did 20 years ago????

Depends on which type of welfare payments you are referring to:

* TANF gets automatic increases in several states on a pretty regular basis.

*WIC benefits are in the form of defined free food (a dozen eggs, 2 gallons of milk, 1 pound of cheese, 3 pounds of vegetables, etc) so as the price of food increases ,so goes the value of the WIC benefit.

* Section 8 housing through HUD is about 70% of Fair Market Rent paid by the taxpayers, tenant pays about 30%. The value of that "welfare" increases in step with the rent increases.

* As the cost of health care increases, so goes the value of being on Medicaid.