Yellow | Next Century's bid for Yellow back on table

Not sure where you heard that. Maybe the biased reports where they say such payments, though increasing, don't have any additional buying power than they did 20 years ago????

Depends on which type of welfare payments you are referring to:

* TANF gets automatic increases in several states on a pretty regular basis.

*WIC benefits are in the form of defined free food (a dozen eggs, 2 gallons of milk, 1 pound of cheese, 3 pounds of vegetables, etc) so as the price of food increases ,so goes the value of the WIC benefit.

* Section 8 housing through HUD is about 70% of Fair Market Rent paid by the taxpayers, tenant pays about 30%. The value of that "welfare" increases in step with the rent increases.

* As the cost of health care increases, so goes the value of being on Medicaid.
This is an example of the TANF for Texas, but its not a way to "get rich." Texas: $112 per month for a family of one, or $136 per month for a household with one child and one parent or caretaker

Yes, abolish the cap on FICA. That would not increase benefits, but it would probably ensure Social Security's viability.
You do not contribute to the funds. Write or call and ask for a statement of your account. Specifically ask how much money is in your account. You don't have an account. You have no money there. You have nothing that you can withdrawal or transfer. Your "contributions" have purchased an annuity.
The expectation of receiving a benefit. An expectation, not a guaranty. The government owes you nothing!
Same thing as Social Security...you can't withdraw anything early...and yes I do contribute to the fund....my first forty hours that I work a set amount per hour is paid from me to the funds..if I take the day off without pay, nothing gets paid for that day, so yes I contribute.... just like I pay taxes with money that never touches my bank account....what you guys (the anti bailout people) don't get is I just wanted a fix to the problem, it didn't necessarily have to be a bailout...I would have been in favor of them dividing up the funds on some kind of formula to at least give me something for my contributions.... me getting nothing in return for twenty years of contributions is unacceptable, especially since this has been known for a long, long time....my fund took bailout money even though they didn't have an insolvency date, I wasn't in favor of that.... I would have been just as happy with the reduction that I was already under, and if you like, you can check my posts I did say this well before they took the money.....I was in favor of something being done, and since this is what was offered up after 15 years of people fighting for a bill, then I will accept it, and be happy for the working people who benefited....

This is an example of the TANF for Texas, but its not a way to "get rich." Texas: $112 per month for a family of one, or $136 per month for a household with one child and one parent or caretaker
TANF isn't, and shouldn't be a way to get rich. You can make $750/week, get free medical, free food, enjoy housing that cost 30% of the average, you don't "need" that much additional cash assistance from the taxpayers.

what you guys (the anti bailout people) don't get is I just wanted a fix to the problem, it didn't necessarily have to be a bailout...I would have been in favor of them dividing up the funds on some kind of formula to at least give me something for my contributions.... me getting nothing in return for twenty years of contributions is unacceptable, especially since this has been known for a long, long time....

Count me firmly in the "anti-bailout" camp.

.01% x total contributions = annual benefit <---- still a formula ;)

A solution is to phase these things out so that folks don't pay into for decades and get nothing, while at the same time not impacting the benefits of folks currently receiving a pension/benefits. Nobody is surprised and can formulate a plan B. Options available that the 90 year old, doesn't have.

Not sure where you heard that. Maybe the biased reports where they say such payments, though increasing, don't have any additional buying power than they did 20 years ago????

*WIC benefits are in the form of defined free food (a dozen eggs, 2 gallons of milk, 1 pound of cheese, 3 pounds of vegetables, etc) so as the price of food increases ,so goes the value of the WIC benefit.

* Section 8 housing through HUD is about 70% of Fair Market Rent paid by the taxpayers, tenant pays about 30%. The value of that "welfare" increases in step with the rent increases.

Not so sure about that Section 8. Isn't that income and needs-based, rather than a set percentage?

That’s interesting that you have referred to those who paid into a MEPF as deadbeats. Those who participate in MEPFs contribute with the expectation of receiving a benefit. When employers negotiate with the Union, they propose an economic package. Once the proposal has been examined, the affected employees decide; through their union how the money should be distributed. IE, wages, health and welfare and pension. Do you have an alternate plan for a dignified retirement? Perhaps abolish the cap on FICA contributions. That would certainly add significant funds for the Social Security Trust Funds.

That’s interesting that you have referred to those who paid into a MEPF as deadbeats. Those who participate in MEPFs contribute with the expectation of receiving a benefit. When employers negotiate with the Union, they propose an economic package. Once the proposal has been examined, the affected employees decide; through their union how the money should be distributed. IE, wages, health and welfare and pension. Do you have an alternate plan for a dignified retirement? Perhaps abolish the cap on FICA contributions. That would certainly add significant funds for the Social Security Trust Funds.
The Social Security Trust Fund does not have a contribution problem, it has a management problem.
Currently no speaking English can be considered a 'disability' thus in many cases eligible for SSI. In one of my visits to my local Social Security Office I inquired why so many young women bearing multiple children were in the office. Naturally I expected predominantly older folks who would normally qualify for SS.
They explained that there are scores of thousands collecting this benefit.
In addition there are nearly 40,000 dead people collecting SS who lived outside of the USA. There is no requirement to report deaths to Social Security outside of America.
Far too many scamming the system is the problem. There is no contribution issue.

Much of this varies by state.

I believe NYC recently stated the cost of a family of 4 on public assistance (section 8, WIC, EBT, Free Subway rides, free wi fi, Obamaphones, free cell service, Medicaid, free school lunch free school breakfast, in NYC the schools wash most students clothing, free summer meals when school is closed, free heat, free electricity, free college applications, free college, free primary & high school, free prescriptions, free dental, free legal, free mental health, free transportation to/from jails and a host of other free programs) the city claims this has a value of $120,000 for that family.

That value and the benefits vary from state to state

Not so sure about that Section 8. Isn't that income and needs-based, rather than a set percentage?
Yes and no.

You are required to pay 30% of your adjusted income per month but the amount the taxpayers pick up can be no more than the difference between your contribution and fair market rent less 30%.

In other words if your adj. Income is $2000/mo you pay the first $600 taxpayers pick up the rest. If my adj income is $1500/mo I only pay $450.

We don't get to rent a $8000/mo. house on the beach with our voucher and have the taxpayers foot the rest of the bill. After they apply their magic formula to determine what rent should be they reduce it by 30% and that's the max they'll pay.

If the average rent in the area is $1200/mo. Taxpayers pay a max of 840, but you'd be picking up the first 600 so only be getting 600 in free housing, while I had to pay the first 450, so I get 750 in free housing. If the average rent was 2000, you would be at the max amount (1400max voucher and 600 you) while I pay the first 450, voucher 1400, still 150 short which I would have to come out of pocket with.

I think I got all the math correct.

Last edited:
Count me firmly in the "anti-bailout" camp.

.01% x total contributions = annual benefit <---- still a formula ;)

A solution is to phase these things out so that folks don't pay into for decades and get nothing, while at the same time not impacting the benefits of folks currently receiving a pension/benefits. Nobody is surprised and can formulate a plan B. Options available that the 90 year old, doesn't have.
The "formula" I was referring to was rather than a bailout just figure a formula and divide the fund up between active participants and retirees before the fund goes broke.....don't leave active participants with nothing....especially after they have had several hundred thousand dollars put in because of their labor...

The "formula" I was referring to was rather than a bailout just figure a formula and divide the fund up between active participants and retirees before the fund goes broke.....don't leave active participants with nothing....especially after they have had several hundred thousand dollars put in because of their labor...
I understood. I was being a smart-ass with a formula to address a solution other than a bailout. Suggesting a minuscule amount for active participants as to not impact retires.

In all seriousness, how do you give the active participants back as little as the amount contributed, when those dollars were already spent on current retirees? The math doesn't work with modest returns and more retirees than active participants.

I understood. I was being a smart-ass with a formula to address a solution other than a bailout. Suggesting a minuscule amount for active participants as to not impact retires.

In all seriousness, how do you give the active participants back as little as the amount contributed, when those dollars were already spent on current retirees? The math doesn't work with modest returns and more retirees than active participants.
I would have been happy with less than the amount contributed, but like I said I supported what was offered because that what was done, it is better than nothing...

National Pension Plan the only solution! Merge all these pension funds into Social Security everyone contributes and receives a pension no more homeless seniors or disabled.

National Pension Plan the only solution! Merge all these pension funds into Social Security everyone contributes and receives a pension no more homeless seniors or disabled.
Where do we get the low cost housing for all the current homeless or disabled seniors? Builders want high end for more profits. :idunno:

Much of this varies by state.

I believe NYC recently stated the cost of a family of 4 on public assistance (section 8, WIC, EBT, Free Subway rides, free wi fi, Obamaphones, free cell service, Medicaid, free school lunch free school breakfast, in NYC the schools wash most students clothing, free summer meals when school is closed, free heat, free electricity, free college applications, free college, free primary & high school, free prescriptions, free dental, free legal, free mental health, free transportation to/from jails and a host of other free programs) the city claims this has a value of $120,000 for that family.

That value and the benefits vary from state to state
If you do not put fathers name on birth certificate and live with the Father and he works its more free income.

Where do we get the low cost housing for all the current homeless or disabled seniors? Builders want high end for more profits. :idunno:
We could have done it with the Trillions in Covid aid build it high end only the best for the people. Instead, we do Emergency Supplementals Billions for fake wars. London, Moscow and Washington are still on the same team Billions being made from war and rebuilding destruction going in the same pocket.

You mean only those with an income contribute. If only those who contribute get paid, and according to amount contributed, it does nothing to solve homelessness.

Mayor Adams claims that NYC Has 50,000 homeless people.
The NYC Budget for homeless people is currently at $2 BILLION annually.
Do the math, that equals $40,000 for every homeless person in NYC EVERY YEAR??? there is a 5% annual increase in the budget.
Instead of going to the homeless almost 65% goes to NGO's that 'care' for the homeless and in almost every case these NGO's give heavy contributions to democrats running for election.
I think if anyone spent $40,000 on an apartment/home for every homeless person we'd have the problem solved.
Democrats have no intention on solving most of NYC Problems. The $$$ comes back to them and once again they appropriate it back to the NGO's to not solve any problems.
Hence why the same exact homeless people remain homeless and nothing is solved....

Mayor Adams claims that NYC Has 50,000 homeless people.
The NYC Budget for homeless people is currently at $2 BILLION annually.
Do the math, that equals $40,000 for every homeless person in NYC EVERY YEAR??? there is a 5% annual increase in the budget.
Instead of going to the homeless almost 65% goes to NGO's that 'care' for the homeless and in almost every case these NGO's give heavy contributions to democrats running for election.
I think if anyone spent $40,000 on an apartment/home for every homeless person we'd have the problem solved.
Democrats have no intention on solving most of NYC Problems. The $$$ comes back to them and once again they appropriate it back to the NGO's to not solve any problems.
Hence why the same exact homeless people remain homeless and nothing is solved....

Mayor Bass isn't far behind that absurdity.