Next Contract

browndog6984

TB Lurker
Credits
Our union stewart came to me about 6 months ago and told me that next contract there gonna try and change it up.The senior guys in the city are upset cause us linehaul guys make more money.They don't understand we are away from our families and we miss out on our kids functions.
Anyways they want to be able to switch back and forth from city to linehaul.I am #2on the linehaul list.That means if they change the contract and the senior boys in the city want to come back and forth to linehaul I'll go from #2 to whatever.I told the union stewart you can't do that,he said he can and there gonna try it.
I don't know how they can be messing around with seniority.The linehaul guys here are a little upset cause if it does happen thats gonna screw everything up.
We are happy on linehaul,we have a set of great guys ,we all work together.
Anyone hear that they wanna try this at next contract? Or is this our union stewart blowing smoke up our butt/

I worked for Yellow way back in 1986.
They had a single seniority board.
When bid time came up once a year anyone that was high enough on the list over all could bid off city if thats what they were doing.
And go on the road,or the dock if that was their choice.
Whatever the class they had to stay with it all year till the next bid.

I'm a city driver,and only worked for them as a casual,for about 6 months.
but I know thats how they used to do it.

It was called bumping,they could bump a road driver for their run,and the road driver that was put out of his bid could bump into another road bid if he was high enough,but if not he would have to either replace the open city or dock spot,for that year.

It was a nice change for the higher up workers,but a real bummer for the ones on the bottom of the list.

That is a good idea if Nemf down here in Falconer NY had started it that way.
The way it has worked here for 16 years is City drivers have there seniority and linehaul has theres.Linehaul has 9 drivers,city drivers have like 20 so the first 5 city drivers want to flip back and forth.Thats literally gonna screw all of linehaul up.Not only that it will have to pass for the next contract and if that passes I think we all will be very surprised.
The city drivers don't want to run linehaul but only when they want to.Thats gonna be alot of bumping and alot of upset drivers.
We honestly don't see how that will work out.

One year bids seem to be the fairest way to protect everyones seniority...That way the senior men can have their right to choose what will pay better & the junior men won't be forced to do it only in the bad winter months.

we you could always vote out the union you have and go teamsters. Your bosses really would hate it. Also you can come to work for new penn.

linehaul bids vs. city bids

I work for the Rochester terminal and if you have not figured this company out yet, they will not agree to anything in this contract that they do not want to!!!!!!!!!! The entire contract is one big grey area, there is no black and white. Your steward's bid proposal will never fly at contract time. I would be more worried about raises and co pays on the medical ins. than I would be about this inert issue!

I think it's time to de-cert with your current union and look towards the I.B.T. to repersent you.If nothing else it will get their attention!

Ibt

I belong to the IAM and The IBT both!!I truly believe you are right, BUT the owner of NEMF has closed terminals because they have tried to decert and go IBT. I for one need my job, bills kids etc. I would love to go to the Teamsters, but the risk of losing my job is not worth it. I am a teamster for a parttime job where I make a grat wage for working one day a week and IAM for my fulltime gig. You have to decert for one year before you can invite a new union in I have checked into it. I just dont think it is worth the risks at this point

At my union meeting this past Sunday, the discussion worked it's way to mentioning NEMF. The possibility of the Teamsters "raiding" the IAM barns was put to bed due to the possibility of a "No raid clause". So it looks like, unless you guys at NEMF vote to decirt the IAM, that is who you will continue to be represented by. Personally, I don't see how if every terminal decided to decirt, that they would just shut the company down to keep out the Teamsters. One or two terminals here or there is no big deal to divert freight around.

Also back to the point, we have one seniority list at my terminal for all driving positions,,,,,road, city, yard. Road is one year long, city and yard bid every 6 months.

decert

I understand completely, but like the rest of the trucking world you cant get everyone to work together, hell we cant even get our entire barn to agree on anything let alone the whole company. I work witha bunch of panty wastes who are only looking out for themselves and dont give a damn about anything else.

I understand completely, but like the rest of the trucking world you cant get everyone to work together, hell we cant even get our entire barn to agree on anything let alone the whole company. I work witha bunch of panty wastes who are only looking out for themselves and dont give a damn about anything else.

If you want to leave NEMF and come over to the dark side:hysterical: you'll find we have the same exact situation here as well. The thing to remember is, you don't need each entire barn....you need only 50% +1 member at each barn to agree.

You have to decert for one year before you can invite a new union in I have checked into it. I just dont think it is worth the risks at this point

I don't doubt what you say, but I would sure like to know who made that rule, law, regulation or whatever it is. They sure stacked the deck against workers changing unions....Can you tell me where you got this information?

To decertify because of poor representation & then have to go a whole year without any representation, thats insane, no wonder you don't hear of it happening.

At my union meeting this past Sunday, the discussion worked it's way to mentioning NEMF. The possibility of the Teamsters "raiding" the IAM barns was put to bed due to the possibility of a "No raid clause". So it looks like, unless you guys at NEMF vote to decirt the IAM, that is who you will continue to be represented by. Personally, I don't see how if every terminal decided to decirt, that they would just shut the company down to keep out the Teamsters. One or two terminals here or there is no big deal to divert freight around.

Animo, I may be wrong about this but I seem to remember being told at one of our meeting that since we broke away from the AFL-CIO we are no longer held to the "No raid clause".

This was mentioned specifically in regards to NEMF

Animo, I may be wrong about this but I seem to remember being told at one of our meeting that since we broke away from the AFL-CIO we are no longer held to the "No raid clause".

This was mentioned specifically in regards to NEMF

CFer, I don't remember the specifics, but we definitely were told that this might be a hands off situation for the Teamsters......much to our shagrin :nutkick:

Decertification

I have been searching but can't find anything that says that after decertifying , you would have to wait 1 year before joining a new union.doogie, where did you get that info?

This is the only reference to a 1 year wait that I can find.
How To Decertify Your Union

It doesn't matter why the employees are dissatisfied. But there are some timing issues that are important. The NLRB has a rule that a new union is given one year to represent the workers before a decertification election can be held. Unions that have already negotiated a contract for employees can usually be subjected to a decertification election near the expiration of the contract. Therefore, workers with an old union should start their decertification drive a few months prior to the expiration of their contract to be sure they don't miss their window of opportunity.

If at least 30 percent of the workers in the bargaining unit sign the petition, then it must be sent to the NLRB's closest regional office, along with a cover sheet, NLRB Form 502. Once the petitions have been received and validated, the NLRB will set a date for the decertification election, usually about 60 days in the future. Individuals on both sides may campaign to sway the employees. When the vote is held, if a majority of the workers who participate favor decertifying the union, or if the vote results in a tie, then the NLRB will officially remove the union's recognition as the bargaining representative of the workers

I seem to remember that 14,000 Northwest Airlines Flight Attendants threw the teamsters out and formed their own union. Free of the corruption that was common at the teamsters.

I don't remember the date but it was several years ago...

I seem to remember that 14,000 Northwest Airlines Flight Attendants threw the teamsters out and formed their own union. Free of the corruption that was common at the teamsters.

You need to move into this century with your typical Teamster bashing. At least update your facts.

I'm sorry, that was in 2003, so long ago....

I guess the teamsters did such a great job in protecting the flight attendants they threw them out...

Happens all the time...

I seem to recall that since they formed their own union, the union workers at Northwest have had more than their share of problems with givebacks & layoffs etc.

What does Northwest's problems have to do with NEMF workers trying to get in the Teamsters union?

I belong to the IAM and The IBT both!!I truly believe you are right, BUT the owner of NEMF has closed terminals because they have tried to decert and go IBT. I for one need my job, bills kids etc. I would love to go to the Teamsters, but the risk of losing my job is not worth it. I am a teamster for a parttime job where I make a grat wage for working one day a week and IAM for my fulltime gig.

I guess Puff Driver thinks that the NEMF workers would be better off without any union, like the workers at Carrier & Eastern.

If your union is so strong how come you have carrier and eastren doing some of your line haul work why nemf drivers are layed off?...I can't here you puff!