Yellow | No Cola

So, does anyone really think that the knowledge of the lack of the .16 cent raise would have thrown the vote the other way? I know I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

So, does anyone really think that the knowledge of the lack of the .16 cent raise would have thrown the vote the other way? I know I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

I think thats a bad attitude, I think it's kind of like work rules you ignore a few small things here and a few there pretty soon the co. is filing for past practice and conditions get worse. If deliberate disinformation is what you expect from your leadership, then you should as be happy as a redneck at a racetrack.

I do think it's important that people take note of little things like this for the next time they vote for leadership.

I guess it is like a politician,they tell you one thing and when they get elected they do something else..by the way,and I don't think it would have changed the vote either way,but it is in the contract now enforce it...also.16 over the life of the contract comes out to $1664 at straight time now is it still a big deal?

Your calculations seem accurate, but thats not really the point, and while it is a curious that the first raise is higher, I don't see it as a supplement to the COLA more an incentive to sign the Teamsters latest failure.

Once again, don't kill the messenger OK!

If you READ and UNDERSTAND the NMFA which we had been working under from April 1, 2003 through March 31, 2008, Article 33, which talks about COLA, states quite clearly "Effective April 1, 2004, and every April 1 thereafter during the life of the agreement, a cost-of-living allowance will be calculated on the basis of the difference etc., etc."

That agreement ended at the end of the day on March 31, 2008. The new agreement, which keeps the same COLA clause except for the new dates will state in Article 33, "Effective April 1, 2009, and every April 1 thereafter etc., etc."

Nobody's pulling a fast one on us. The contract is quite clear on what it says and if some of us don't understand it, that's a mistake we made. We (collectively) voted it in and we have to live with what it says. I'm not saying I like it or don't like it so don't bash me just for explaining it.

I think thats a bad attitude, I think it's kind of like work rules you ignore a few small things here and a few there pretty soon the co. is filing for past practice and conditions get worse. If deliberate disinformation is what you expect from your leadership, then you should as be happy as a redneck at a racetrack.

I do think it's important that people take note of little things like this for the next time they vote for leadership.
I don't see it as a bad attitude at all. I see it as a realistic one. We were never promised to get COLA this year and now realize that we're not getting it. Read what Triplex just posted.

I guess it is like a politician,they tell you one thing and when they get elected they do something else..by the way,and I don't think it would have changed the vote either way,but it is in the contract now enforce it...also.16 over the life of the contract comes out to $1664 at straight time now is it still a big deal?
See my last post above.

If you READ and UNDERSTAND the NMFA which we had been working under from April 1, 2003 through March 31, 2008, Article 33, which talks about COLA, states quite clearly "Effective April 1, 2004, and every April 1 thereafter during the life of the agreement, a cost-of-living allowance will be calculated on the basis of the difference etc., etc."

That agreement ended at the end of the day on March 31, 2008. The new agreement, which keeps the same COLA clause except for the new dates will state in Article 33, "Effective April 1, 2009, and every April 1 thereafter etc., etc."

Nobody's pulling a fast one on us. The contract is quite clear on what it says and if some of us don't understand it, that's a mistake we made. We (collectively) voted it in and we have to live with what it says. I'm not saying I like it or don't like it so don't bash me just for explaining it.

This post says it all. Would I have liked to have gotten a COLA this year? Sure, but it didn't apply. Time to move on.

This post says it all. Would I have liked to have gotten a COLA this year? Sure, but it didn't apply. Time to move on.

Show me where you get the dates:hide: I have been on teamster.com and read the contract and nowhere are ,at least I can not find them, dates saying it will start in 2009,It seems that different locals thru-out the country are giving different reasons,for us not getting a cola increase..and stldude your right,it is not the .16 as much as it is the point it is in the contract now pay it...:chairshot:

Show me where you get the dates:hide: I have been on teamster.com and read the contract and nowhere are ,at least I can not find them, dates saying it will start in 2009,It seems that different locals thru-out the country are giving different reasons,for us not getting a cola increase..and stldude your right,it is not the .16 as much as it is the point it is in the contract now pay it...:chairshot:

The COLA increase (if cost-of-living warranted it) in the last NMFA (April 1, 2003 through March 31, 2008) took effect exactly one year after the start date of the agreement, i.e., April 1, 2004 was the date of the first possible COLA increase of the agreement which started April 1, 2003. The new (current) contract went into effect April 1, 2008 which means that the first possible COLA increase would take place April 1, 2009, one year after the start of the contract, just like the last agreement.

Don't worry boys, the way gas, bread and milk are going up in price everyday we'll all be millionaires with swimmin pools and such after the CLA increase we'll get next year. Course the dollar will be less even more so it'll be pretty much a wash.

What nobody seems to remember is they sent us a survey to fill out before the negotiations. Everyone's biggest concern at the time was the rising costs of health care. In addition to that , we wanted to ensure the health of our pensions. That put actual wages in third place, as far as the money went. Now if you look at the whole package, we did much better with Pension and Welfare than we have in the past, but our pocket will be a little light ...comparitively. There are other ways to make up for the lack of a cola. Take earlier starts, grab a six punch, don't use your sick or personal days. With sick and personal days alone that should add up to about $1200 more for the year.....just a thought.

If you are whining about the cola and didn't fill out a survey, you have no one to blame but yourself. If money in your pocket was more important, then you should have made your intentions known on the survey. Don't start crying now or saying oh yeah, I forgot about that. The truth is, while I agree we are underpaid, we are still better off than half the country. I just had about $15,000 worth of medical procedures done, and it only cost me $90 for office visit copays. Can anyone here truthfully say they would rather have taken the medical costs out of pocket instead??? I highly doubt it.

I just had about $15,000 worth of medical procedures done, and it only cost me $90 for office visit copays. Can anyone here truthfully say they would rather have taken the medical costs out of pocket instead??? I highly doubt it.

Our health insurance is the BEST by far, hands down! I will give you that there and am speaking from personal experience. Finally, I hope the pension is still going to be there, but there is some major problems isn't there with that? :tapedshut:

remember, all of us don't have the same bene's. some are much better than others. Thank you to the trustee's in Central States for keeping us in the bottom on bene's.

Good post! The only "fast one" that I see being pulled is the mileage pay scam. I know this is a little off-topic, but please allow me to vent :ranting:. The IBT should fight to outlaw the rip-off of mileage pay. The IBT should fight to repeal the trucking industry's scam and outdated exemption since 1939 from the Fair Labor Standards Act. The IBT should fight to pay all drivrs (union or non-union) a living hourly wage for all work preformed plus overtime. Truck drivers aren’t covered under the Wage and Hour law, they haven’t been since 1939. The IBT cannot honestly address pay increases and safety until (more miles=more pay) is outlawed. Until that day I am afraid that the Government and the trucking industry will work together to carry on their mileage pay scam.