Yellow | No Cola

I work side by side with guys from a different local that came here on a change.we have a better pension but they have much better medical.Why cant we all have the same....it would be so much easier:funky:

What nobody seems to remember is they sent us a survey to fill out before the negotiations. Everyone's biggest concern at the time was the rising costs of health care. In addition to that , we wanted to ensure the health of our pensions. That put actual wages in third place, as far as the money went. Now if you look at the whole package, we did much better with Pension and Welfare than we have in the past, but our pocket will be a little light ...comparitively. There are other ways to make up for the lack of a cola. Take earlier starts, grab a six punch, don't use your sick or personal days. With sick and personal days alone that should add up to about $1200 more for the year.....just a thought.

If you are whining about the cola and didn't fill out a survey, you have no one to blame but yourself. If money in your pocket was more important, then you should have made your intentions known on the survey. Don't start crying now or saying oh yeah, I forgot about that. The truth is, while I agree we are underpaid, we are still better off than half the country. I just had about $15,000 worth of medical procedures done, and it only cost me $90 for office visit copays. Can anyone here truthfully say they would rather have taken the medical costs out of pocket instead??? I highly doubt it.

I really don't know how you can speak for everyones concerns at the time of the survey, nor do I recall any public disclosure of the conclusions drawn from said survey.

When the PPA becomes law Central States would have had a red rating, forcing benefits to be cut, UPS's buyout and the NMFA's overkill pension contributions are a bandaid short-term solution to a long term problem that only exists in the Central States fund, I'd say they bought us 25 years before people really get screwed.

For myself and several others I have spoken with, wages were and have been our paramount concern from the time the we filled out our surveys. I would have much rather see our wages an pension increases be equal, organizing is allot simpler when you can show someone a paystub that shows you make 33% more than they do an hour, and that is why I would not totally oppose paying a portion of our medical out of pocket as long as it was fixed, and compensated for in wages, allot of people (prospective Teamsters) just see the dollar signs. I would rather pay my medical then see non-union USF Glenn Moore come in and grab our Teamster freight right out of our yard.

I guess it's really just a fundamental difference of opinion, is the status quo good enough? Is simple preservation the principle concern? Or do we want to grow membership and improve on conditions specifically, in the LTL business? To attract those new members those increases need to be on our paystubs as much as possible, not in retirement funds that a prospective member has no vested interest in.

shortsight

.....For myself and several others I have spoken with, wages were and have been our paramount concern from the time the we filled out our surveys. I would have much rather see our wages an pension increases be equal, organizing is allot simpler when you can show someone a paystub that shows you make 33% more than they do an hour, and that is why I would not totally oppose paying a portion of our medical out of pocket as long as it was fixed, and compensated for in wages, allot of people (prospective Teamsters) just see the dollar signs. I would rather pay my medical then see non-union USF Glenn Moore come in and grab our Teamster freight right out of our yard.

I guess it's really just a fundamental difference of opinion, is the status quo good enough? Is simple preservation the principle concern? Or do we want to grow membership and improve on conditions specifically, in the LTL business? To attract those new members those increases need to be on our paystubs as much as possible, not in retirement funds that a prospective member has no vested interest in.
I agree , Silvertooth , that drivers are more concerned with upfront wages than any long term benefits. When recruiting prospective members, the first thing they ask, (if they'll even speak) is how many miles can I get, then how much per mile. Hourly rate, delay pay a distant third and retirement (what's that?) isn't even on the radar screen.

Retirement is never an issue with younger folks......did any of us really believe we were gonna be old someday? Time flies. There will come a time when retirement rates higher on their agendas and they'll probably be glad that the members in front of them made sure, at least hopefully, that they might not have to eat dog food as seniors.

I agree , Silvertooth , that drivers are more concerned with upfront wages than any long term benefits. When recruiting prospective members, the first thing they ask, (if they'll even speak) is how many miles can I get, then how much per mile. Hourly rate, delay pay a distant third and retirement (what's that?) isn't even on the radar screen.

Most of the time in this industry your not really living, rather, merely just existing. Personally.....:shrug:

heres how i see it

Retirement is never an issue with younger folks......did any of us really believe we were gonna be old someday? Time flies. There will come a time when retirement rates higher on their agendas and they'll probably be glad that the members in front of them made sure, at least hopefully, that they might not have to eat dog food as seniors.

any body with 20 to 25 years in voted yes to save their retirement (or so they think) but when the stop fillin retired workers in place of 4hr casuals whos left to pay in for my retirement????????????????????????????:chairshot::nutkick:

any body with 20 to 25 years in voted yes to save their retirement (or so they think) but when the stop fillin retired workers in place of 4hr casuals whos left to pay in for my retirement?
Again, the 4 hour casuals, if they can find them, will be dock only to help get the outbound ready a lot faster, thus improving transit times and more than likely competing in the short haul market. The plan is to gain market share and if successful will require the hiring of many more drivers to move freight. If I'm not mistaken CMO is a combination barn anyway and you have no full time dockhands, correct? Wasn't it you who was complaining a few days ago about working too many hours?

Stldude44 GOTCHA yellowslave. Also, non-union companies typically raise their employees' wages so that they are just below union wages. The big difference is in the other areas like benefits and job protection language. So I disagree with you, but that doesn't surprise me.

What about Chicago?

Once again, don't kill the messenger OK!

If you READ and UNDERSTAND the NMFA which we had been working under from April 1, 2003 through March 31, 2008, Article 33, which talks about COLA, states quite clearly "Effective April 1, 2004, and every April 1 thereafter during the life of the agreement, a cost-of-living allowance will be calculated on the basis of the difference etc., etc."

That agreement ended at the end of the day on March 31, 2008. The new agreement, which keeps the same COLA clause except for the new dates will state in Article 33, "Effective April 1, 2009, and every April 1 thereafter etc., etc."

In the Chicago area, the local cartage drivers never approved this B.S. contract. Thus, we are working under an extension of the old contract (per agreement from the company). That said, we should fall under the "every year thereafter" and get our COLA raise, correct?

In the Chicago area, the local cartage drivers never approved this B.S. contract. Thus, we are working under an extension of the old contract (per agreement from the company). That said, we should fall under the "every year thereafter" and get our COLA raise, correct?

This is just a guess, but I do believe that legally the old contract expired on March 31st and therefore there is no COLA increase due. The contract "conditions" have been extended temporarily while negotiations for the new contract continue. I would think that this means that everything stays "frozen" as it is until the new contract is settled. Once that happens the new conditions will apply retroactively, i.e. back to April 1st. Again, this is just my take on it and I certainly could be wrong.

60 Cent per mile

At the end of this contract we will be making 60 cents per mile this is unheard of in this industry. I cant believe people are arguing over a cost of living raise.:Violin:

Ok, not to start an argument but if we pay an extra four dollars a gallon for gas on top of the $3.56 per gallon now at the end of the contract, things will still be ok??? My point is prices are going up on everything; our wages should some what match it, I think, in my opinion of course.

Do you live in a bubble??:hide:Why do you think it is in the contract? Just to expand the number of words and to make it look good..Well look around you and maybe you will see the prices rising,rising as I am typing.Everything is going up due to inflation Think of it this way,sixty cents a mile sounds good at the end of the contract if there is no inflation,but if there is then your payscale is going backwards....The hourly rate would be about .165 cents and I know it doesnt sound like a lot figure out what it would be over the life of the contract...By the way I am filing next week on it. It is in the contract :chairshot:Now pay it

Ok, not to start an argument but if we pay an extra four dollars a gallon for gas on top of the $3.56 per gallon now at the end of the contract, things will still be ok??? My point is prices are going up on everything; our wages should some what match it, I think, in my opinion of course.

Sure our wages should increase to compensate for inflation, but if there's no provision for that increase IN THE CONTRACT then how do we get it??

Do you live in a bubble??:hide:Why do you think it is in the contract? Just to expand the number of words and to make it look good..Well look around you and maybe you will see the prices rising,rising as I am typing.Everything is going up due to inflation Think of it this way,sixty cents a mile sounds good at the end of the contract if there is no inflation,but if there is then your payscale is going backwards....The hourly rate would be about .165 cents and I know it doesnt sound like a lot figure out what it would be over the life of the contract...By the way I am filing next week on it. It is in the contract :chairshot:Now pay it

What exactly are you talking about? There is no provision for a COLA increase this April 1st as has been already pointed out. The COLA increases only come into effect during successive years within the contract period. How exactly are you going to file for something that doesn't exist??

Sure our wages should increase to compensate for inflation, but if there's no provision for that increase IN THE CONTRACT then how do we get it??

What exactly are you talking about? There is no provision for a COLA increase this April 1st as has been already pointed out. The COLA increases only come into effect during successive years within the contract period. How exactly are you going to file for something that doesn't exist??
A lot of stuff that is'nt in the contract gets filed on all the time, and I won't split hairs on it but what was the intent of Hoffa when he said he protected COLA? I'm sure it was to mislead the members (and it worked). Hell if nothing else it will give the panel something to laugh and joke about between grievances. I know what happened so do all of you. :chairshot: You'all win I've got nothing left. Go get em Crazy.:1036316054:

Triplex :hide: Where does it say it kicks in the second year of the contract.It said COLA would be maintained or was it just another lie from our leadership..From what I was told from my local the international told them there wasn't enough inflation to kick in a cola increase. That is why I am going to file.Besides if you cant have fun in life what else is there??:funky:

A lot of stuff that is'nt in the contract gets filed on all the time, and I won't split hairs on it but what was the intent of Hoffa when he said he protected COLA? I'm sure it was to mislead the members (and it worked). Hell if nothing else it will give the panel something to laugh and joke about between grievances. I know what happened so do all of you. :chairshot: You'all win I've got nothing left. Go get em Crazy.:1036316054:

You're absolutely right about things not in the contract being subject to arbitration/interpretation. But the COLA increase conditions are spelled out in the contract quite precisely.

Triplex :hide: Where does it say it kicks in the second year of the contract.It said COLA would be maintained or was it just another lie from our leadership..From what I was told from my local the international told them there wasn't enough inflation to kick in a cola increase. That is why I am going to file.Besides if you cant have fun in life what else is there??:funky:

Crazy, read all the posts in this thread and in particular my earlier post (#24) for my best explanation. I don't know what more I can say to try to explain it. The COLA conditions have been maintained in the new contract exactly (except for the new dates) as they were in the old contract.