ABF | OD vs ABF U-Pack

like you said mikey "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". .If it works for ABF why not OD. as for all the discussion before ,we work for competing companies. It is like watching a football game you cheer for your team thats all.
The problem is your company will go in & low ball like they do with freight. If your company cared for you as much as you think they do they wouldent give your money back to the coustomer in the form of huge discounts....Remember this its much harder to grow when your big & I think muler was right OD may have topped out.

How is it that O/D pays o/t after 60 when your out of hours of service ? Your not allowed to drive after 60 hrs. Explain ,please .

You are allowed either 60 hrs in a 7 day period or 70 in an 8 day period. The company is allowed to decide which set of hours to use. OD (and Con-way) use the 70 in 8 rule. So that is where you are allowed to work past 60.

I will say one thing to the OD drivers about the spotting of trailers at homes. Your accident numbers will spike. So if OD has a strict policy on the number of accidents then GOOD LUCK. And lets not forget the areas that you have to go day and night. YOUR MOVING ON UP BROTHER ALWAYS!

You bring up a good point. An ABF driver had a really hard time when picking up an empty trailer from a new neighbor of mine. He got hung up in the cable TV wirers about 8 houses down the block. Since it is a 1 way street and he had bobtailed in he didn't have any way of knowing that there were low wires on the way out. They say he had a heck of a time getting untangled from the wires and branches and backing out of our street

You bring up a good point. An ABF driver had a really hard time when picking up an empty trailer from a new neighbor of mine. He got hung up in the cable TV wirers about 8 houses down the block. Since it is a 1 way street and he had bobtailed in he didn't have any way of knowing that there were low wires on the way out. They say he had a heck of a time getting untangled from the wires and branches and backing out of our street

Low wires, posted roads, low tree branches, customers wanting you to do the impossible when spotting the trailer. "well i think it will fit there". I agree on checking out your companies accident policy, because it will not take long to rack up a list of chargeable accidents.

ABF knew OD was coming. They ordered one of our Cubes and went over it with a fine tooth comb. They took many pictures and measurements. We knew they were coming. And oh by the way they then called and canceled the Cube. They don't sound to honest to me. I wonder how they would like it if we called in pick ups and when they send their drivers to the locations and as they pulled up we canceled the pick ups. Doesn't sound to honest does it? Here's how I feel about OD getting into the moving business. They will be facing a relentless competitor that will give them a REAL RUN FOR THEIR MONEY! And as in all wars the more fronts you have to fight on the more losses you will accumulate. There is plenty of work for all of us but I am sure they will drive prices down but remember we know the in's and out's of this part of the business. So remember OD LOOK HIGH, LOOK LOW BECAUSE THIS MISTAKE IS GOING TO COST YOU A LOT OF DOE! And if the prices have to go REAL LOW WE JUST BOUGHT A LOW OVERHEAD MOVING COMPANY! I don't think that was just by accident we bought them just as OD was to start their new endeavor.YOUR MOVING ON UP BROTHER ALWAYS!

We do a lot of U-Packs here in the south. I have had to get the customer to take a 2x4 and pick the power lines up for a city block to back down the street. This is just to get the trailer to the house on that street. We have houses out in the country a mile or two off of the road with gravel one lane drives, that you have to back down. I could not tell you the number of power lines pulled down and trailers damaged doing U-Packs. Thanks to the training ABF provides and the years of doing U-Packs, we have worked out the kinks. I have to say ABF has some of the best drivers in the freight industry and we still have problems. I hope OD knows what they are getting into. Ask any ABF driver, I bet they could tell you a story

I would have to ask you this how is it the driver got down the street the 1 st. time in order to spot the trailer?
Also I would like to add this to the conversation it is the utilities responsibility to see that wires are at least 14 ft. high over any area that may be serviced by a truck . This is a nonchargeable accident here . Wires , trees and signs are not to be in the way of any vehicles thats on the roadway . That still doesn't give you the right to take out the whole block some common sense must be used . There is an exception for viaducts that is a fixed structure and should be marked also customers dock doors should be marked if less than 13'6 . Company policies may be differ but it could be argued on reasons of local and state codes . The safety man may or may not know this . If it ever comes that your job may be lost over something of this nature it would be wise to investigate these ordinances .:1036316054:

I would have to ask you this how is it the driver got down the street the 1 st. time in order to spot the trailer?
.:1036316054:
I was told about this from my neighbor who helped the driver raise the wires off the trailer so I wans't there to see it. But I guess that maybe because it is a 1 way street and he had already dropped the trailer and was bobtailing out when he went under the wires and branches the 1st time. Or maybe it was at night the 1st time. Or maybe it was a different driver who picked up the empty.

I would think that even if it had been a 2 way street and being that the trailer was loaded going in it may have still cleared the wires the 1st time.

Also I would like to add this to the conversation it is the utilities responsibility to see that wires are at least 14 ft. high over any area that may be serviced by a truck . This is a nonchargeable accident here . Wires , trees and signs are not to be in the way of any vehicles thats on the roadway . That still doesn't give you the right to take out the whole block some common sense must be used . There is an exception for viaducts that is a fixed structure and should be marked also customers dock doors should be marked if less than 13'6 . Company policies may be differ but it could be argued on reasons of local and state codes . The safety man may or may not know this . If it ever comes that your job may be lost over something of this nature it would be wise to investigate these ordinances .:1036316054:
The height codes only pertain when you are on the street. On private property it is the drivers responsibility Lawns, gutters and PETS can be Challenging. But don't worry the customer will let you know. YOUR MOVING ON UP BROTHER ALWAYS! .

I will say one thing to the OD drivers about the spotting of trailers at homes. Your accident numbers will spike. So if OD has a strict policy on the number of accidents then GOOD LUCK. And lets not forget the areas that you have to go day and night. YOUR MOVING ON UP BROTHER ALWAYS!

20 years safe driving.
Went to pick up a loaded trailer. Snagged wires that AT&T had just raised the day before in order to get the trailer in. 20 years safe driving down the tubes.

I will add to this difficult conditons delivery. The shop at one time delivered sold trailers & some buyers were in remote areas. I once delivered trailer & had to use a chainsaw to cut post oak limbs off of the tractor & trailer to get in & out. I couldn't back out so the only option was to clear a path. Also when I stopped in front of the house a phone line was touching the middle of the windshield. I found a 2X4 & had the owner hold the line up. I asked him several times before I left the shop if there was anything in the road or driveway that was not 13 ft. above the ground. After I spent about an hour cutting the limbs he said "well everything cleared my pickuip".

I really enjoy :insert sarcastic face here: the feeling I get when I am driving down a street and see the whole string of utility lines down the block flowing up and down in a sine wave pattern.

Im really happy im not a city guy.As far as it goes your always guilty until proven innocent. I got a chargable for a tree falling on my trailer during a storm with 50 mph winds that knocked power all over the area. So who can answer this who is the mysterious safety comittee at fort smurf and are their qualifications and credentials to make them suited to the job? I mean do they buy the janitors a box of donuts and say take an extra break or what? Also the contract says u you will not be judged at some foreign terminal,so how many drivers are stationed at G.O.?