ABF | OD vs ABF U-Pack

So who do you want to work for? Seems like your talking OD up. If that's the case you will have to work an extra 10 hours to get o.t

If I went to work for OD I'd only be interested in running the road for them. I was just making an observation based on my interactions with other OD drivers when I'm on my peddle run. My first preference would be ABF, but I do have some reservations about working for any union carrier. Sure the money is great, having all your benefits covered is wonderful, and the thought of a pension really sounds appealing. What worries me is the threat of layoff (I don't have to worry about that where I am), the ultimate future of any union carrier in today's business environment, and whether the pension program will be there in another 30 years when I'll be eligible to retire. The unknown factor is scary, but I don't know if it's scary enough to not take the leap if they do offer me a job.

If I went to work for OD I'd only be interested in running the road for them. I was just making an observation based on my interactions with other OD drivers when I'm on my peddle run. My first preference would be ABF, but I do have some reservations about working for any union carrier. Sure the money is great, having all your benefits covered is wonderful, and the thought of a pension really sounds appealing. What worries me is the threat of layX don't have to worry about that where I am), the ultimate future of any union carrier in today's business environment, and whether the pension program will be there in another 30 years when I'll be eligible to retire. The unknown factor is scary, but I don't know if it's scary enough to not take the leap if they do offer me a job.
Understandable.... If every company would unionize & negotiate only wage & benefits the union would have a better chance of getting the Nona to sign. The pension seems to be the sticking point....

They can pay themself all they want..UMM!!!They own the damm company..I enjoy working for the Congdon Family because they treat us like family not just a number.The revenue's speak for themelf.I believe you need to worry about ABF & there problem's instead of the other's.
If you take the time to read the post you will see I made no statement anywhere about being afraid of OD. Just the opposite I am glad they have branched out to try something different. You are the one that sounds frightened and angry. I have made my living as a union driver for over 33 years. I have enough to make it and so does the owners of OD. If you don't ever want to join the union I am glad. If you like making less and working longer hours for less then why wouldn't I be happy for you? I just can't understand when you get angry when people wish better for you. Good Luck and remember you can always give some of your pay back to the company and then they will really turn a profit. YOUR UNION BROTHER ALWAYS!

Just look at what this has dissolved into. REALLY. I work here you work there . I chose to work here and you chose to work there. Why is this a big issue. You like the union job and benefits GOOD. Why is it such a crime if we choose to disagree.

Just look at what this has dissolved into. REALLY. I work here you work there . I chose to work here and you chose to work there. Why is this a big issue. You like the union job and benefits GOOD. Why is it such a crime if we choose to disagree.
What are you reading? I never said that you working non union was a bad thing. I just gave a view from the union side. And I also only stated facts. Why does that bother you?

It doesn't matter who is right or wrong on this issue, I think we're just all making observations based on our experiences in the business. If you've been w/ a union carrier for 30+ years and came through the good times of the union carriers, of course your opinion is going to be different than someone who has worked for a non-union carrier for the same amount of time. If you have seniority at whatever carrier you are at, even over here at good ol' Con-job, you're making good money and have first pick of whatever run you want, and are probably a little biased because you've got a good deal and don't want anything to mess that up. I don't think anyone is calling anyone out, we're just speaking from our own perspectives. Opinions are just like ***holes, everyone's got one. :smile:

They can pay themself all they want..UMM!!!They own the damm company..I enjoy working for the Congdon Family because they treat us like family not just a number.The revenue's speak for themelf.I believe you need to worry about ABF & there problem's instead of the other's.
If i would post stuff like this XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee, I really didn't think we were so flippin popular with the OD guys. The fact they want to try to duplicate our product, PROVES beyond a doubt that we are still setting the pace for success. The only problem is they will never have the support systems to pull it off. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Guess we're doing something right!

As an aside, I think that those that willingly donate their hard earned wages to their wealthy employers are brain damaged and need mental examination before their next DOT Physical Examination is signed.

If I am not mistaken, this thread is under ABF Freight Systems title. That might give you an idea why there is a little dissent.

like you said mikey "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". .If it works for ABF why not OD. as for all the discussion before ,we work for competing companies. It is like watching a football game you cheer for your team thats all.

well, i posted some time ago, on another companies thread, and was told not to do so by Jeff. So if this is the way this is going to be, strap on your seatbelt, because I m about ready to unleash some comments about all the other companies on their threads. It won't be pretty, trust me on that. I have a soapbox here and I know how to use it.

If you guys are happy there....GOOD FOR YOU. WE are happy here holding up the pay scale for the whole rest of the LTL industry. I just don't understand how you guys brought this into a union/non-union debate on a thread that has absolutely NOT A DANG THING to do with labor relations.

Just as an aside, in the year 2000 I was hired at both the 47th St. terminal and the DesPlaines terminal for OD. But after having a few impromptu conversations with drivers working there at that time, I declined to take the job because of brutal management tactics. I refuse to put any effort in a place that treat drivers like idiots.

We have taken care of some of the other users . Please don't go out of your way to case problems because in the long run it only seems to make matters worst .

well, i posted some time ago, on another companies thread, and was told not to do so by Jeff. So if this is the way this is going to be, strap on your seatbelt, because I m about ready to unleash some comments about all the other companies on their threads. It won't be pretty, trust me on that. I have a soapbox here and I know how to use it.

If you guys are happy there....GOOD FOR YOU. WE are happy here holding up the pay scale for the whole rest of the LTL industry. I just don't understand how you guys brought this into a union/non-union debate on a thread that has absolutely NOT A DANG THING to do with labor relations.

Just as an aside, in the year 2000 I was hired at both the 47th St. terminal and the DesPlaines terminal for OD. But after having a few impromptu conversations with drivers working there at that time, I declined to take the job because of brutal management tactics. I refuse to put any effort in a place that treat drivers like idiots.

I don't work for OD or ABF (yet, hopefully) but to be fair I have to say this. I have tried to get on with OD in the past and they do OK on the pay scale. They make more than we do here @ Con-job and although they don't get o/t until 60 (we get it down here in the South after 50 @ Con-way, which is another sore subject w/ me since the guys up north that have more union presence around them get o/t after 8), they make about 1.50 more an hour than I do right now. They've gotten several raises in the past few years where I have not. Everyone I've talked to in the street that works for OD seems to be quite happy with what they get and how they're treated. I guess the Congdon's must be doing something right.
How is it that O/D pays o/t after 60 when your out of hours of service ? Your not allowed to drive after 60 hrs. Explain ,please .

PEOPLE if you want people from other forums to NOT post on your forum why in the world do you call them out and there comapny and ask them questions ?

If i would post stuff like this XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Don't disrespect my Mods slim....

We let alot of stuff slide here and want people to be happy but my mods will not be disrespected...

I will say one thing to the OD drivers about the spotting of trailers at homes. Your accident numbers will spike. So if OD has a strict policy on the number of accidents then GOOD LUCK. And lets not forget the areas that you have to go day and night. YOUR MOVING ON UP BROTHER ALWAYS!