ABF | OD vs ABF U-Pack

We arent doing that cheap freight game,we leave the crumbs behind for the bottom feeders.

Really, I don't know who you work for so I'll assume that we are still talking about OD. When did things change at OD with the bottom feeding for cheap freight? I never worked for them so I am just speculating here. Kind of like your IHop comment. But it was common knowledge, North of the Mason Dixon line, that they were a bottom feeder who paid low wages and could only get freight by lowballing rates.

We are gearing up for a 30% increase in business this summer. Ahhh...stability....I do need a raise though,send the Onion our way after they got a contract sealed for the IHop dishwashers

Since you brought up stability and and gearing up for increased business how does OD adjust for the manpower? Do they rehire those economiclly terminated drivers? I have mentioned economic terminations twice in this thread and no one has commented on it so I'll ask about it. Wasn't OD, one of if not, the first LTL company that used the term economic terminations to fire it's workers instead of laying them off and paying unemployment benefits?

Isn't economic termination when a company fires it's drivers to adjust monthly operating figures? Isn't economic termination usually done by firing the higher paid drivers with more company seniority? And when OD needs more drivers don't they often hire those same drivers back but as new employees? Don't they get rehired at the entry level rate of pay and benefits and at the loss of seniority? Does OD even recognize seniority?

I don't work at ABF and they certainly don't need me to come on their forum and defend them. But the trash talking "Onion" organizing IHop kind of caught my interest.

Too bad I dont work for Conway. Some make more,some make less. The Union doesnt even try to organize anybody else. I do like the "My wage got cut,but at least I got to vote on it" thing. I still cant figure out why you guys care what other people make.

Crystal said:
Really, I don't know who you work for so I'll assume that we are still talking about OD. When did things change at OD with the bottom feeding for cheap freight? I never worked for them so I am just speculating here. Kind of like your IHop comment. But it was common knowledge, North of the Mason Dixon line, that they were a bottom feeder who paid low wages and could only get freight by lowballing rates.

Since you brought up stability and and gearing up for increased business how does OD adjust for the manpower? Do they rehire those economiclly terminated drivers? I have mentioned economic terminations twice in this thread and no one has commented on it so I'll ask about it. Wasn't OD, one of if not, the first LTL company that used the term economic terminations to fire it's workers instead of laying them off and paying unemployment benefits?

Isn't economic termination when a company fires it's drivers to adjust monthly operating figures? Isn't economic termination usually done by firing the higher paid drivers with more company seniority? And when OD needs more drivers don't they often hire those same drivers back but as new employees? Don't they get rehired at the entry level rate of pay and benefits and at the loss of seniority? Does OD even recognize seniority?

I don't work at ABF and they certainly don't need me to come on their forum and defend them. But the trash talking "Onion" organizing IHop kind of caught my interest.

I work for Fedex Freight,so I have heard the Onion is going after Fedex b.s. for years. They never go past putting up a few websites that nobody looks at. I just like to counter Slim who actually does go forum to forum bashing people. He kind of just makes stuff up,he doesnt work for ABF either.

I dont care what anybody makes,but why go on a forum specifically to tell people they are idiots for working for what they do? The OD people appear to be happy,if they arent then they can handle it their way.

In case you forgot this is the ABF forum. I doubt that they could have gone over on the OD forum and posted it.

Why would they kick me out? If you look back I said some good things about U-Pack. Its not against the rules to post on any forum you want.

I think ODFL or R&L or any other carrier that gets into something like U-Pack will get a quick wake-up call. ABF started this about 20 years ago, which in trucking, was a different age...or several different ages. We all kind of grew along with the program, management and drivers alike. ABF Mgmt. understands the unique problems drivers face with U-Packs and Relo-Cubes....they may not like the problems, or the "uniqueness", but they trust their drivers well enough to allow us to make judgement calls on the street with U-Packs that would absolutely stun other (especially non-Union) management. Plus, we have the Union to back up our judgement calls. No one gets fired for trying to satisfy a customer and having the solution go sour. Imagine that at a non-Union company! I predict that ODFL will soon have a rash of drivers either refusing to take their version of U-Packs out, or if forced, getting to a difficult customer site and failing to complete the drop (because of that same "uniqueness" that us ABF people are so familiar with.) ABF doesn't hire people afraid to make decisions!

Don't think there will be a problem backing a trailer in a driveway. Do we think we're going to set the moving world a blaze. No. Just one more service that can help us maintain an industry leading 86 OR.

Don't think there will be a problem backing a trailer in a driveway. Do we think we're going to set the moving world a blaze. No. Just one more service that can help us maintain an industry leading 86 OR.
Good for you, you should pat yourself on the back. After all they couldent get there without you settling for lower wages paying part of your benifits & no pension (and yes i do know you have a 401k) I guess its good to be the leader....

Good for you, you should pat yourself on the back. After all they couldent get there without you settling for lower wages paying part of your benifits & no pension (and yes i do know you have a 401k) I guess its good to be the leader....

HA! And according to a post on the OD forum, they contributed an average of $1000 per employee to said 401k. Wow! After 30 years you will be able to retire in style. As long as you only live 6 months.

All OD is doing is selling the space used on a 28ft pup with a security divider put up.The trailer then is loaded out the rest of the way with freight.Trailer's are brought out&set at the curb side.No driveway drop's.We supply Ramp&hand truck.That's it.Customer set's everything up on the website.We del trailerThen when they are done we pick up.It is a charge daily for trailer if they are not ready to be pick'd up that day.Od really has nothing in it ..Od's shop's are building the ramp's..All they are doing again is selling the space on trailer.We have been doing this for year's for employee's for free&customer request.They just decided to start selling the service.Just thought I would share some fact's.Yes,Abf does have a better system.So there is no need to worry.OD is not going in the moving business full-time.