ODFL | off duty

Believe me, there'll be no shade tree for jr drivers. Might even have to hit the dock.

That's dropping and hooking gets you 12. I don't believe many drivers care that much about drop and hook pay. Other ltls also require you to work the dock on many of the runs.
As soon as you catch up with the thread we can continue the conversation. Until then I'm not explaining the my stance over and over. The pay structure I'm talking about has been represented in this and other threads many times. You either choose to ignore it or you just want to argue. What does working the dock have to do with task pay? Stay on track please.

As soon as you catch up with the thread we can continue the conversation. Until then I'm not explaining the my stance over and over. The pay structure I'm talking about has been represented in this and other threads many times. You either choose to ignore it or you just want to argue. What does working the dock have to do with task pay? Stay on track please.
Ive read your post I'm not ignoring anything Old dominion is at the top of the industry because they do things different. Just because you came from fedex and this how they did it doesn't mean OD should do it. I believe things like this is what brings down those companies at the top. Employees with there hands stuck out wanting more and more. Been here 12 years and gotten a raise every year with, The exception of 2008, and nothing was taken from me unlike all other carriers. Sit back enjoy your job they give raises every year and dump millions of dollars into the 401k. Sure there could be some tweeks here and there but wanting to change the task pay is a non starter with me. Realize where you came from when I started at OD on P&D 13.50hour and .28 a mile starting pay with experience. I believe this company has done great in making things good for its employees.

Ive read your post I'm not ignoring anything Old dominion is at the top of the industry because they do things different. Just because you came from fedex and this how they did it doesn't mean OD should do it. I believe things like this is what brings down those companies at the top. Employees with there hands stuck out wanting more and more. Been here 12 years and gotten a raise every year with, The exception of 2008, and nothing was taken from me unlike all other carriers. Sit back enjoy your job they give raises every year and dump millions of dollars into the 401k. Sure there could be some tweeks here and there but wanting to change the task pay is a non starter with me. Realize where you came from when I started at OD on P&D 13.50hour and .28 a mile starting pay with experience. I believe this company has done great in making things good for its employees.
Not disputing that. But this company has had the biggest growth of all ltl over the last 10 years also. Ups and FEDEX are far from going under my friend. And just because I can from FedEx doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have an opinion. We see things differently, you want to sit back and have everything given to you and I'm not afraid to ask for more. You act like paying an hourly rate is going to bankrupt the company. It wouldn't even out a dent in this company's OR.
The ironic thing is I bet you'd take the raise if it was offered. Case closed!

Not disputing that. But this company has had the biggest growth of all ltl over the last 10 years also. Ups and FEDEX are far from going under my friend. And just because I can from FedEx doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have an opinion. We see things differently, you want to sit back and have everything given to you and I'm not afraid to ask for more. You act like paying an hourly rate is going to bankrupt the company. It wouldn't even out a dent in this company's OR.

Why would they voluntarily increase that part of pay when....1. Driver pay is very good already and comparable with other carriers...2. Dough Boy is right about the 401(k) stuff. OD has contributed a boatload of money to our retirement funds as well as offered great health insurance...3. HR is inundated with applications from drivers so clearly it is already an attractive place to work.

Ump...I understand you are doing a direct comparison to what you made at FE. Nobody likes a pay cut.

There's just a lot more to consider than your task pay and down time pay. Quality of life, benefits, equipment.

Btw...ABF is charging customers an extra $6 on all shipments in or out of CA to cover the increased cost there with the new law. Wouldn't be surprised if the other carriers followed suit.

Well first off never said anyone was going out of business. Yes you are entitled to your opinion as am I. Yes I would take a raise if it were offered, key word there is offered. If you want more money you should grab an extra load on the weekend. No a raise would not bankrupt this company nor am I acting like it would. I'm acting like a happy driver who works for a company that's does "offer" raises. Always wanting or thinking you should get more leads to poor morale like they have at FedEx and ups. You say I just want to sit back and have everything given to me, well you would be right. I don't have the mentality of it being me verses the company and I have to fight for everything. This company has grown a lot and makes huge profits and in turn puts most of those profits back into the company for equipment facility upgrades technology and driver pay and benefits. Your more than welcome to share your opinion and some will agree and some won't. If you want full hourly rate for your down time are you going to clean the toilets or pickup trash during that down time?

Well first off never said anyone was going out of business. Yes you are entitled to your opinion as am I. Yes I would take a raise if it were offered, key word there is offered. If you want more money you should grab an extra load on the weekend. No a raise would not bankrupt this company nor am I acting like it would. I'm acting like a happy driver who works for a company that's does "offer" raises. Always wanting or thinking you should get more leads to poor morale like they have at FedEx and ups. You say I just want to sit back and have everything given to me, well you would be right. I don't have the mentality of it being me verses the company and I have to fight for everything. This company has grown a lot and makes huge profits and in turn puts most of those profits back into the company for equipment facility upgrades technology and driver pay and benefits. Your more than welcome to share your opinion and some will agree and some won't. If you want full hourly rate for your down time are you going to clean the toilets or pickup trash during that down time?
Good Lord. I've gone on record as saying the pay is good. Also have gone on record as saying if we never get hourly rate for drop and hooks I'm okay with that. The difference between us is I don't think talking about it is gonna bankrupt the company. I shown why and how I think it's possible for OD to make some changes, if you don't agree that's fine. I don't live in a dream world and think any cooperation is going to give its employees anything out of the kindness of its heart. Asking and receiving are two different things. If they say no, then they say no. So if it's okay with you, I'll keep asking and I'll let you keep sitting there enjoying what you think is fair. After all well all get the same thing in the end.
And no, I wouldn't pick up trash or clean the toilets, we have people that do that and they make more then $10 per hour to do it.

Why would they voluntarily increase that part of pay when....1. Driver pay is very good already and comparable with other carriers...2. Dough Boy is right about the 401(k) stuff. OD has contributed a boatload of money to our retirement funds as well as offered great health insurance...3. HR is inundated with applications from drivers so clearly it is already an attractive place to work.

Ump...I understand you are doing a direct comparison to what you made at FE. Nobody likes a pay cut.

There's just a lot more to consider than your task pay and down time pay. Quality of life, benefits, equipment.

Btw...ABF is charging customers an extra $6 on all shipments in or out of CA to cover the increased cost there with the new law. Wouldn't be surprised if the other carriers followed suit.
Not doing a direct compassion. If I did that I'd be asking for much more. I'm simply saying if I'm going to do an hourly task I should be paid my hourly wage.

Not doing a direct compassion. If I did that I'd be asking for much more. I'm simply saying if I'm going to do an hourly task I should be paid my hourly wage.

Let's just settle this. Give Ump 35 an hour for everything he does when not driving. He's worth it to keep quiet :D

That's my point..they won't give it voluntary...THAT IS WHY WE HAVE TO ASK!!!

And how do you know HR is inundated with apps. You said earlier you weren't in HR. And we get hundreds of apps, but none of them can pass a simple drug screen or can get hazmat endorsement.

All company's have things they offer. UPS and FedEx is pay, R&L puts $5000 Bose sets in there tractors and use of company housing for vacations.
If you guys really think asking for $12.50 for hooking a set is too much, fine. Before we used to look for trailers and while off duty, but now I've got to log in as soon as I get paperwork, meaning I'm on company time. I see nothing wrong with asking to be compensated while being on company time. Plain and simple!!!

Good Lord. I've gone on record as saying the pay is good. Also have gone on record as saying if we never get hourly rate for drop and hooks I'm okay with that. The difference between us is I don't think talking about it is gonna bankrupt the company. I shown why and how I think it's possible for OD to make some changes, if you don't agree that's fine. I don't live in a dream world and think any cooperation is going to give its employees anything out of the kindness of its heart. Asking and receiving are two different things. If they say no, then they say no. So if it's okay with you, I'll keep asking and I'll let you keep sitting there enjoying what you think is fair. After all well all get the same thing in the end.
And no, I wouldn't pick up trash or clean the toilets, we have people that do that and they make more then $10 per hour to do it.
Lol no one is saying talking about it is going to bankrupt the company nor would it if they gave it to us. And now your implying that by you asking for it your doing us all a favor and trust me my friend your not doing me any favors. You've expressed your opinion and I've expressed mine that's how this works. My thought is by asking for more it comes of as greedy and unappreciative of what they do give us. Your more than welcome to ask and I appreciate you saying you won't be pissed off when they say no, because there are way to many drivers that would be and are pissed off and thinking they are getting screwed. I simply appreciate what is given and if and when the time comes that I believe it's not enough or fair I will express that opinion.

I don't have the mentality of it being me verses the company and I have to fight for everything.
Why would wanting more put you at odds with a company? why can't a person be happy where they work and still strive for more? Does the company say we're happy with the amount of customers we have we'll just hang out and see if some more show up? Your reasoning is at best flawed.

Why would wanting more put you at odds with a company? why can't a person be happy where they work and still strive for more? Does the company say we're happy with the amount of customers we have we'll just hang out and see if some more show up? Your reasoning is at best flawed.
Reasoning isn't flawed, based upon drivers being pissed because they don't get paid for this or that. That's the mentality of quite a few drivers out here in the trenches. My reasoning is based on my daily experience.

I'll repeat the question, why does wanting more have to put you at odds with the company?
Read it closer. I
I'll repeat the question, why does wanting more have to put you at odds with the company?
I repeat the answer. Can't get any clearer than that. If you get pissed off when they say no and start bad mouthing the company because you didn't get what you want I would say that puts you at odds with the company