ODFL | off duty

You're saying if,I'm asking why
You can ask all you want. If the company doesn't give you the answer you want and you start griping and bad mouthing the company I say your at odds with the company. As ump stated he will ask take what answer they give and move an still be happy. He would not be at odds with the company

That's some legit truck driver math right there. If my run takes 10 hours to complete and I get out at 8pm, I get back at 6am. If I get out at 745pm, 15 minutes earlier, I get back at 545am, because the run still takes 10 hours to complete. How you managed to leave only 15 minutes earlier but come back home 1.5 hours sooner is crazy.

FG liked that math too, must be those over the counter stimulants he is talking about.

Loads closed early, meet guy early, traffic was light? Not sure math has anything to do with it. I have noticed quite a few guys cruising in the curb lane lately. Perhaps that makes a 10 hour run a 10 hr run?

And now your implying that by you asking for it your doing us all a favor and trust me my friend your not doing me any favors. .
You'll notice I said "WE"!!! Never once have I tried to take credit. So if you want to be snarky and tell me to scrub toilets (which I have done by the way), at least understand the person you're insulting. The reason I ask for a lot is because I think what we as drivers do is worth it. FG is contract labor, he gets to ask for what he wants, we should be able to ask and not be called greedy and unappreciative just because you disagree.

You can ask all you want. If the company doesn't give you the answer you want and you start griping and bad mouthing the company I say your at odds with the company. As ump stated he will ask take what answer they give and move an still be happy. He would not be at odds with the company
That is exactly what I am asking you why does a person ASKING put you at odds with the company

Ive read your post I'm not ignoring anything Old dominion is at the top of the industry because they do things different. Just because you came from fedex and this how they did it doesn't mean OD should do it. I believe things like this is what brings down those companies at the top. Employees with there hands stuck out wanting more and more. Been here 12 years and gotten a raise every year with, The exception of 2008, and nothing was taken from me unlike all other carriers. Sit back enjoy your job they give raises every year and dump millions of dollars into the 401k. Sure there could be some tweeks here and there but wanting to change the task pay is a non starter with me. Realize where you came from when I started at OD on P&D 13.50hour and .28 a mile starting pay with experience. I believe this company has done great in making things good for its employees.

I remember when pay was that low and you needed two years experience to be considered. They gave me 16 when I switched to city 11 years ago.

You'll notice I said "WE"!!! Never once have I tried to take credit. So if you want to be snarky and tell me to scrub toilets (which I have done by the way), at least understand the person you're insulting. The reason I ask for a lot is because I think what we as drivers do is worth it. FG is contract labor, he gets to ask for what he wants, we should be able to ask and not be called greedy and unappreciative just because you disagree.

Haha...I asked. I didn't get

Dooode you're asking for things from a giant company that isn't like the rest of country and pays their employees ot. That there should tell you how scummy top brass thinks of us. You'll get what they give you and not ask for what you want.

And unless I'm mistaken, CA is responsible for this debate. So working the counter at a burger joint should pay $5 more an hour than hooking a set of doubles? What else can the Dems do to keep us safe? Stricter gun laws? Because criminals pay attention to gun laws. And, really, the government of CA is an example to be followed? Oops. Damn Fox News.

Just be happy like the folks on OD's Facebook page from places like Marriedmycousin, Alabama telling the company how great it is to work for them with only two teeth in their mouth.

Y'all are getting greedy.

Just be happy like the folks on OD's Facebook page from places like Marriedmycousin, Alabama telling the company how great it is to work for them with only two teeth in their mouth.

Y'all are getting greedy.

See, and people keep bringing up the benefits. Most couldn't care less how great our dental plan is, gimme the cash!!!!

Reactions: Ump
Well first off never said anyone was going out of business. Yes you are entitled to your opinion as am I. Yes I would take a raise if it were offered, key word there is offered. If you want more money you should grab an extra load on the weekend. No a raise would not bankrupt this company nor am I acting like it would. I'm acting like a happy driver who works for a company that's does "offer" raises. Always wanting or thinking you should get more leads to poor morale like they have at FedEx and ups. You say I just want to sit back and have everything given to me, well you would be right. I don't have the mentality of it being me verses the company and I have to fight for everything. This company has grown a lot and makes huge profits and in turn puts most of those profits back into the company for equipment facility upgrades technology and driver pay and benefits. Your more than welcome to share your opinion and some will agree and some won't. If you want full hourly rate for your down time are you going to clean the toilets or pickup trash during that down time?

I'm going to disagree on one point in particular, having come from Con-way, a company with extreme morale issues. Heavy-handed management is the biggest thing that determines morale.

I knew a guy who would swish Coke in his mouth as if it were Listerine. Irreversible damage to the teeth.

Won't touch it after I seen coke spill on concrete and left for a few days. If it can eat up concrete, imagine how easy it'll destroy your teeth!

I'm going to disagree on one point in particular, having come from Con-way, a company with extreme morale issues. Heavy-handed management is the biggest thing that determines morale.
I would just argue drivers never being satisfied may bring on heavy handed management. They may look at it as we have given you a everything you wanted and your still not happy so they start the nit picking and new policies to make sure they are getting everything they can out of you. Just my opinion.

First off I'm not being snarky second asking if you would scrub toilets was me trying to make the point if you want full wage for any downtime other than break down and a manger comes to you during that down time and tells you to scrub toilets or pick up trash instead of just sitting there you might be obligated to do it. I'm not accusing you of being greedy or unappreciative. Go back read were I said you asking could come off as greedy or unappreciative to the higher ups. I witnessed this personally at my barns last wage and benefits meeting last August. and my apologies I didn't see the WE part.

Last edited:
The asking part doesn't put you at odds. When you get an answer you don't like and you become a Winey crybaby about it puts you at odds with the company.
So UMP is the only person that would graciously take the answer and move on? You make it sound like everybody that ever asked for a got pissed off at the company, it's just not so, maybe that's how you would react but grown ups realize that you are more likely to get something you feel you deserve if you ask, as opposed to hanging out and waiting.

So UMP is the only person that would graciously take the answer and move on? You make it sound like everybody that ever asked for a got pissed off at the company, it's just not so, maybe that's how you would react but grown ups realize that you are more likely to get something you feel you deserve if you ask, as opposed to hanging out and waiting.
Yep that's s what I said ump is the only one that will take the answer and moe on smh.

Lol funny stuff