Yellow | Off Topic Comments & Snarky Remarks Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
FGzgjQB.jpg

Seems to me that Roadway bought Western Gillette in 1976 to start the move out west. In 1977 I went on a camping trip from my home in Michigan to California and back. I remember going by Roadway trucks that said Western Gillette operated by Roadway Express on the truck doors. Roadway opened the Abq. terminal in 1979.I started there in 1981. Most of the city trailers and some of the city tractors were old Western Gillette equipment.

FGzgjQB.jpg

Seems to me that Roadway bought Western Gillette in 1976 to start the move out west. In 1977 I went on a camping trip from my home in Michigan to California and back. I remember going by Roadway trucks that said Western Gillette operated by Roadway Express on the truck doors. Roadway opened the Abq. terminal in 1979.I started there in 1981. Most of the city trailers and some of the city tractors were old Western Gillette equipment.
I was still working the dock when they bought Gillette, spent a weekend emptying the Okie City terminal out. Pretty nice terminal,the garage had a bay with a pit that you could walk under your big rig. At one time
TSv63PA.jpg

lKy0ars.jpg

MZ4POnV.jpg

WG was a big time operation...had a tanker line. I pulled several Dessert Express pups out too.

I was still working the dock when they bought Gillette, spent a weekend emptying the Okie City terminal out. Pretty nice terminal,the garage had a bay with a pit that you could walk under your big rig. At one time
TSv63PA.jpg

lKy0ars.jpg

MZ4POnV.jpg

WG was a big time operation...had a tanker line. I pulled several Dessert Express pups out too.

I remember pulling those W G trailers on interchange, before RTL aquired PIE. never saw a tanker.

Man.
Some some of you guys been around awhile.
Kudos.
I've only been in LTL since the late 80's.
Drove cross country for a year.. (had to get out if that. Not my cup of tea)
Been in the oilfield for a stint.
But the stuff you guys show I was a little kid looking out the parents station wagon windows while they were on the road.
:438:
( Snark.)
But kudos to the veterans here.

Man.
Some some of you guys been around awhile.
Kudos.
I've only been in LTL since the late 80's.
Drove cross country for a year.. (had to get out if that. Not my cup of tea)
Been in the oilfield for a stint.
But the stuff you guys show I was a little kid looking out the parents station wagon windows while they were on the road.
:438:
( Snark.)
But kudos to the veterans here.
So young grasshopper you got to ride in the rear facing seat with the back window down in that station wagon? All the exhaust fumes coming in,pumping you arm up and down so they would blow the air horn. AHHH yes the good old days. Not as old as some on here but started with BIG R in 76

So young grasshopper you got to ride in the rear facing seat with the back window down in that station wagon? All the exhaust fumes coming in,pumping you arm up and down so they would blow the air horn. AHHH yes the good old days. Not as old as some on here but started with BIG R in 76

It’s an era that will not be appreciated fully until we are all long gone.

Ultimately, we are blessed to have our memories.

It’s an era that will not be appreciated fully until we are all long gone.

Ultimately, we are blessed to have our memories.
I appreciate the Era. I may have been young.
But I also appreciate what we have now.
But also appreciate growing up in a Era of no cell phones and computers
Which a cell phone essentially is.
Our grandkids will not be able to experience what we had.
Fun. Without these hand held idiot boxes. Lol.
I can imagine even now doing without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.