FedEx Freight | Other News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driver Pay, Bonuses Rise as Carriers Seek Scarce Truckers

http://www.ttnews.com/articles/driver-pay-bonuses-rise-carriers-seek-scarce-truckers?utm_source=express&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=newsletter&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiWVdJeVptSXdaV1l6TUdZeCIsInQiOiIxbUl1dzdxYnRvM2plenlWcEJ5cGlMRGk2UFlNT3pHbHBKdnVyMTIrUjZ0TUNrXC9LQ1d4YitRM3IzNjdUeld5THJPd0JZUFZ4dWlMZmFrU3FISkQyUzA0aHpGWmV4ZDNYQjRQVmNHcm1mbW1vUERLWmZON2FiOVU4UFRJbUtDMWkifQ==

"The need for drivers has been spurred by an unemployment rate around 4%, an expanding economy, and a boiling-hot freight hauling business.

For instance, Truckstop.com’s Market Demand Index (MDI) is at 53.3, near an all-time high and an indicator of an extraordinarily high need for trucks and truck drivers. A number less than 20 denotes a market that favors shippers, while a number higher than 20 equals a truckers market. The MDI last peaked at 33.1 in 2014 when demand for trucks was high due to a series of weather events."

Word on the street, even our local "biggest bottom feeder" is offering $2500.00 sign on bonuses. Always hiring & not very picky about who they hire...
Yeah but most fail to read the fine print when it comes to the signing bonus, it usually states they must be employed for a certain amount of time (usually two years) or they must pay back the bonus.

Lawmaker introduces bill to fix Hours of Service

https://cdllife.com/2018/lawmaker-introduces-bill-to-fix-hours-of-service/

“A Texas lawmaker has introduced legislation that would “modernize” current Hours of Service regulations for truck drivers.”

The REST Act would allow drivers to take one rest break per shift, for up to three consecutive hours. The single off-duty period would not be counted toward the driver’s 14-hour, on-duty allowance and would not extent the total, allowable drive limits … The REST Act requires the Department of Transportation to update Hours of Service regulations to allow a rest break once per 14-hour duty period for up to 3 consecutive hours as long as the driver is off-duty, effectively pausing the 14-hour clock. However, drivers would still need to log ten consecutive hours off duty before the start of their next work shift. It would also eliminate the existing 30-minute rest break requirement.”

“The bill states that these changes would “allow professional drivers to rest when they feel it appropriate and avoid congestion, adverse weather conditions, or other road conditions that decrease safety.”

I personally would LOVE for this bill to become law...allowing for drivers to take up to a 3 hr “rest break” that wouldn’t count against their 14 in order to avoid traffic congestion, adverse weather, or those sloooow grocery warehouses...and would eliminate the current 30 min nanny break!! :1036316054:

“A Texas lawmaker has introduced legislation that would “modernize” current Hours of Service regulations for truck drivers.”

The REST Act would allow drivers to take one rest break per shift, for up to three consecutive hours. The single off-duty period would not be counted toward the driver’s 14-hour, on-duty allowance and would not extent the total, allowable drive limits … The REST Act requires the Department of Transportation to update Hours of Service regulations to allow a rest break once per 14-hour duty period for up to 3 consecutive hours as long as the driver is off-duty, effectively pausing the 14-hour clock. However, drivers would still need to log ten consecutive hours off duty before the start of their next work shift. It would also eliminate the existing 30-minute rest break requirement.”

“The bill states that these changes would “allow professional drivers to rest when they feel it appropriate and avoid congestion, adverse weather conditions, or other road conditions that decrease safety.”

I personally would LOVE for this bill to become law...allowing for drivers to take up to a 3 hr “rest break” that wouldn’t count against their 14 in order to avoid traffic congestion, adverse weather, or those sloooow grocery warehouses...and would eliminate the current 30 min nanny break!! :1036316054:
It's about time we disagree on something... This is just the worthy topic.

We have to realize that allowing the driver to extend the 14 hour rule with an off duty entry also allows the carrier to tell the driver to go (log) off duty, despite not really being off duty. This would certainly be ripe for abuse, much like the ease of which some think they can legally extend the current 14 hour rule.

I just can't support any effort to allow MORE hours. Especially unpaid hours. The 14 hour rule gives the driver the right to legally say, enough already! In this industry, we NEED that.

Continued:

There are better solutions. One would be to return to the past rules on split sleeper berth entries. Not perfect (still ripe for abuse-I should know-I was the best), but quite effective both in extending hours and "potentially" allowing rest.

Another is to utilize this little know method of holding shippers/receivers accountable for forcing a violation of the rules:

Holding shippers' feet to the fire

http://www.fleetowner.com/regulatio...m=email&elq2=ea32a39561a04391a50ac7c4a3ef65b0

"FMCSA's DeLorenzo noted there is in fact something the agency can do about shippers that hold up or "detain" a truck driver and thus make it harder — or impossible — for the driver to then operate legally within the HOS requirements. FMCSA can investigate and fine them."

Drivers and motor carriers can file a complaint with FMCSA online or call 888-DOT-SAFT (888-368-7238) to file a complaint by phone.

The only way to hold shippers/receivers accountable would be a cooperative effort from ALL carriers. This would never happen as a customer is more valuable than an a employee. One would think the driver shortage would change that resulting in increased productivity/profits. My biggest complaint with the HOS remains: allow me to opt out of the mandatory 30 minutes. I do the same run everyday. I am home everyday. All that is accomplished is, I work 30 minutes longer:regretful:

It's about time we disagree on something... This is just the worthy topic.

We have to realize that allowing the driver to extend the 14 hour rule with an off duty entry also allows the carrier to tell the driver to go (log) off duty, despite not really being off duty. This would certainly be ripe for abuse, much like the ease of which some think they can legally extend the current 14 hour rule.

I just can't support any effort to allow MORE hours. Especially unpaid hours. The 14 hour rule gives the driver the right to legally say, enough already! In this industry, we NEED that.

Then we’ll just have to agree to disagree...

Are we going to fine the drivers who cause a major backup shutting down the highway because they were driving while distracted?? Are we going to fine Mother Nature because she decided to unexpectedly dump a foot of snow?? There are unexpected causes everyday beyond the crappy shippers that effect the driver’s ability to complete their tour within the 11/14 hour day, why should the drivers be held accountable for these causes? Allowing a little bit of leway could/would help to avoid these unforeseen causes.

As for company abuse, I’m not following you...the company can “request” that we go off duty but ultimately it’s up to the driver since it’s our log. Abuse occurs both ways daily, it’s no different than when we currently sit in backups and the truck doesn’t move for 3 mins. The AOBRD’s automatically puts us in “on duty” status although we’re still behind the wheel with the brakes released, thus saving our driving hours. By allowing us to go “off duty” in these situations it would also allow us to save on our 14 as well.

The only way to hold shippers/receivers accountable would be a cooperative effort from ALL carriers. This would never happen as a customer is more valuable than an a employee. One would think the driver shortage would change that resulting in increased productivity/profits. My biggest complaint with the HOS remains: allow me to opt out of the mandatory 30 minutes. I do the same run everyday. I am home everyday. All that is accomplished is, I work 30 minutes longer:regretful:
It’s been said that the corrupt ATA lobbied Congress and gave in on the 30 min nanny break in exchange for the 14 hour reset...I say to hell with the reset, we recapped for years with no problems, I’d rather recap and do away with the unnecessary nanny break!!

Or, they could put an unloading charge against the shipper, or consignee...
I am betting the grocery,and retail distribution lobbyists money persuaded the Texas politician to sponsor this bill. So they can jerk the driver around at their docks,uncompensated of course.... Anyway to beat the driver,especially OTR guys,out of money to cover on duty time.

Or, they could put an unloading charge against the shipper, or consignee...
I am betting the grocery,and retail distribution lobbyists money persuaded the Texas politician to sponsor this bill. So they can jerk the driver around at their docks,uncompensated of course.... Anyway to beat the driver,especially OTR guys,out of money to cover on duty time.
Actually I think it’s the OOIDA that’s lobbying for the bill as most of the O/O’s would benefit from such changes...and it’s the ATA that’s against the bill as they’re trying to push the O/O’s out of business.

I agree on the required 30min break. The driver should always have the OPTION, without the requirement.

At my location, FedEx seems to have successfully priced themselves out of the most notorious (Groc. type) driver unload/sort segregate deliveries. Actually charging for the service & detention time, as well as refusing to deliver to problem consignees, seems to have worked.
:bgroovy:

Then we’ll just have to agree to disagree...

There are unexpected causes everyday beyond the crappy shippers that effect the driver’s ability to complete their tour within the 11/14 hour day, why should the drivers be held accountable for these causes? Allowing a little bit of leway could/would help to avoid these unforeseen causes.

Every day there can be an excuse. MOST are not "unforeseen", at all. Driving beyond the 14 should not be common or acceptable. Certainly NOT day after day. Any run requiring close to the full 14, is flawed, poorly planned destined to fail, with some predictability. True emergency situations can be "solved" with the PC (personal conveyance) entry, allowing transit to a nearby safe haven.

As for company abuse, I’m not following you...the company can “request” that we go off duty but ultimately it’s up to the driver since it’s our log. Abuse occurs both ways daily, it’s no different than when we currently sit in backups and the truck doesn’t move for 3 mins. The AOBRD’s automatically puts us in “on duty” status although we’re still behind the wheel with the brakes released, thus saving our driving hours. By allowing us to go “off duty” in these situations it would also allow us to save on our 14 as well.

Don't think a company can "encourage" you to go off duty? Some will relieve you of duty, saying come back in 2-3 hours. If you are free to come and go, at will, you are off duty.

As for the AOBRDS, they don't don't actually log into on duty at 3 min. They flag that moment, a time stamp, in order to reverse log (in effect), when actual driving stopped.

The intent of the rules is to limit excessive fatigue for drivers. Safety. Unless you have a sleeper, I don't see any real benefit to allowing up to three hours off duty, to extend the 14 to 17. Driving after 14 should not be allowable, beyond extraordinary and extremely rare and limited circumstances IMHO. Even then, once per month, maybe?

Last edited:
I agree on the required 30min break. The driver should always have the OPTION, without the requirement.

At my location, FedEx seems to have successfully priced themselves out of the most notorious (Groc. type) driver unload/sort segregate deliveries. Actually charging for the service & detention time, as well as refusing to deliver to problem consignees, seems to have worked.
:bgroovy:
Sort and segregate,has been around forever. And these trucking companies know what a problem it is. But they agree,in bidding the freight,that it includes,delivered in that manner. I would love to see the deliveriesmajority of ltl,and truckload carriers,just say enough! Put truck and driver on the clock,add charges to the freight bill,and get paid for what you do....Companies that take on the responsibility for sorting freight,appointments,late fee’s,returns,and baby sitting loads until the consignee can work you in to a dock, are signing a pact with the devil when it comes to grocery DC deliveries....

Every day there can be an excuse. MOST are not "unforeseen", at all. Driving beyond the 14 should not be common or acceptable. Certainly NOT day after day. Any run requiring close to the full 14, is flawed, poorly planned destined to fail, with some predictability. True emergency situations can be "solved" with the PC (personal conveyance) entry, allowing transit to a nearby safe haven.

Don't think a company can "encourage" you to go off duty? Some will relieve you of duty, saying come back in 2-3 hours. If you are free to come and go, at will, you are off duty.

As for the AOBRDS, they don't don't actually log into on duty at 3 min. They flag that moment, a time stamp, in order to reverse log (in effect), when actual driving stopped.

The intent of the rules is to limit excessive fatigue for drivers. Safety. Unless you have a sleeper, I don't see any real benefit to allowing up to three hours off duty, to extend the 14 to 17. Driving after 14 should not be allowable, beyond extraordinary and extremely rare and limited circumstances IMHO. Even then, once per month, maybe?
Again, the company could “request” you go off duty but ultimately it’s up to the driver since it’s your log, the decision is totally up to you. These aren’t the days of old where they tell us what we’re going to do, now they make suggestions and the decisions are ours...we have more free reign than we’ve ever had before.

I beg to differ, got stopped in the road for an unforeseen event and after sitting for 3 mins the AOBRD put me in on duty status. Called Central, started my delay, and after nearly 45 mins I was rolling again. Called back to end my delay and after rolling again for 3mins the AOBRD put me back to driving...my log showed almost 40 mins of “on duty” time while I was sitting in the road, behind the wheel, brakes released, for 45 mins. Under this new bill, I could’ve logged those 45 mins as “off duty” thus saving that time toward my 11/14.

The intent of the bill is an attempt to somewhat level the playing field by allowing drivers, mainly O/O, the flexibility to deal with unforeseen events in order to make an honest living. They’re not privy to 15K drivers with 40K trailers staged all over the country at their disposal, they can’t drop a trailer due to a 3 hour backup only to have another driver come by to get it in order for the freight to make service.

The current HOS rules in place benefit the big companies through the lobbying of the ATA and are killing the O/O’s...which is exactly what these companies want...and they’ll defend it in the name of “safety”. You have friends who are O/O’s, ask them if they would support this bill...I’m sure their answer would be an astounding yes...and not for the reasons of “abuse” that you mentioned.

Happy Easter!! :1036316054:

No driver with any sanity is going to give those hours up for free at the request of the company, not in today's environment.

Here's an example of how this works, and why Canada allows a similar two hours. Say you're OTR/linehaul and you're rolling into a major city right around morning rush hour. Under the current rules, you have no choice but to sit in traffic until you are through the city. While some US cities aren't bad, Toronto only has two paths across the city. An expensive toll road that doesn't even bypass all of the traffic, or the 401 which crawls across the city between about 6am and 7pm. It does, however, lighten up a little for a brief period between 10am and 2pm. And bear in mind that once you are between the city of Cambridge and the town of Port Hope, there are a smattering of truck stops that you have to know the location of in advance if you want to stop, and none are visible from the highway. So you are largely committed between those places, and 100% committed between Mississauga and Pickering where there are NO truck stops.

Under the new rules proposed in this bill, you could pull off the road and catch a nap while traffic thins out a bit, tackling that journey when it's more convenient to you and less likely to result in an accident. This is a BIG DEAL in some places, like my given example of Toronto, where the journey time can be upwards of 4 hours at peak traffic versus 2 at reduced traffic (it should take 1 hour at the speed limit). Why would you give away those hours when you are paid by the mile? If you're going to give them away, why destroy your knees over it? Many Canadians take advantage of the "16 hour work day" allowed here in exactly this way. 14 on duty, 13 driving, no more than 16 from beginning to end. And you'd be amazed at what even an hour long nap can do for a line driver in the middle of his shift. We're also allowed to split our bunk time up here, and teams can function in 6 hour rotations if they want.

No company can force you off duty when you are on the road. They can't relieve you of duty when you are at a shipper, they can't dictate how you run your log. The only time they can relieve you of duty at will is when they can confirm that you are not working, like when you are on their property. And the DOT would argue that any time on company property is on duty time, like it or not, unless you're sleeping in the bunk. I would never advocate a system that encourages a driver to work more hours for free...city drivers are paid hourly and are never working for free, while line drivers can literally lose several hours of potential wages to bad timing. And anything that mitigates that has my support.

Again, the company could “request” you go off duty but ultimately it’s up to the driver since it’s your log, the decision is totally up to you. These aren’t the days of old where they tell us what we’re going to do, now they make suggestions and the decisions are ours...we have more free reign than we’ve ever had before.

I beg to differ, got stopped in the road for an unforeseen event and after sitting for 3 mins the AOBRD put me in on duty status. Called Central, started my delay, and after nearly 45 mins I was rolling again. Called back to end my delay and after rolling again for 3mins the AOBRD put me back to driving...my log showed almost 40 mins of “on duty” time while I was sitting in the road, behind the wheel, brakes released, for 45 mins. Under this new bill, I could’ve logged those 45 mins as “off duty” thus saving that time toward my 11/14.

The intent of the bill is an attempt to somewhat level the playing field by allowing drivers, mainly O/O, the flexibility to deal with unforeseen events in order to make an honest living. They’re not privy to 15K drivers with 40K trailers staged all over the country at their disposal, they can’t drop a trailer due to a 3 hour backup only to have another driver come by to get it in order for the freight to make service.

The current HOS rules in place benefit the big companies through the lobbying of the ATA and are killing the O/O’s...which is exactly what these companies want...and they’ll defend it in the name of “safety”. You have friends who are O/O’s, ask them if they would support this bill...I’m sure their answer would be an astounding yes...and not for the reasons of “abuse” that you mentioned.

Happy Easter!! :1036316054:

On the legislation, we have to remember, it would apply to all drivers. NOT just FedEx. When considering the obvious potential for abuse, you have to factor in it's real world effect.

On the AOBRD, of course it showed on-duty not driving due to the length of time you sat. I'm pretty sure, if you had started rolling after 6-7 minutes, it would not have taken you off the drive line, even though it "flagged" the time.

No driver with any sanity is going to give those hours up for free at the request of the company, not in today's environment.

Here's an example of how this works, and why Canada allows a similar two hours. Say you're OTR/linehaul and you're rolling into a major city right around morning rush hour. Under the current rules, you have no choice but to sit in traffic until you are through the city. While some US cities aren't bad, Toronto only has two paths across the city. An expensive toll road that doesn't even bypass all of the traffic, or the 401 which crawls across the city between about 6am and 7pm. It does, however, lighten up a little for a brief period between 10am and 2pm. And bear in mind that once you are between the city of Cambridge and the town of Port Hope, there are a smattering of truck stops that you have to know the location of in advance if you want to stop, and none are visible from the highway. So you are largely committed between those places, and 100% committed between Mississauga and Pickering where there are NO truck stops.

Under the new rules proposed in this bill, you could pull off the road and catch a nap while traffic thins out a bit, tackling that journey when it's more convenient to you and less likely to result in an accident. This is a BIG DEAL in some places, like my given example of Toronto, where the journey time can be upwards of 4 hours at peak traffic versus 2 at reduced traffic (it should take 1 hour at the speed limit). Why would you give away those hours when you are paid by the mile? If you're going to give them away, why destroy your knees over it? Many Canadians take advantage of the "16 hour work day" allowed here in exactly this way. 14 on duty, 13 driving, no more than 16 from beginning to end. And you'd be amazed at what even an hour long nap can do for a line driver in the middle of his shift. We're also allowed to split our bunk time up here, and teams can function in 6 hour rotations if they want.

No company can force you off duty when you are on the road. They can't relieve you of duty when you are at a shipper, they can't dictate how you run your log. The only time they can relieve you of duty at will is when they can confirm that you are not working, like when you are on their property. And the DOT would argue that any time on company property is on duty time, like it or not, unless you're sleeping in the bunk. I would never advocate a system that encourages a driver to work more hours for free...city drivers are paid hourly and are never working for free, while line drivers can literally lose several hours of potential wages to bad timing. And anything that mitigates that has my support.

I agree, in part, but there are so many scenarios. Many still ripe for abuse.

I my opinion, for such an option to be of legitimate value, it must only apply to sleeper trucks. NO sleeper, no such option. Certainly NOT suitable for city, nor LTL road (day cabs), on a daily basis, as proposed.

On the legislation, we have to remember, it would apply to all drivers. NOT just FedEx. When considering the obvious potential for abuse, you have to factor in it's real world effect.

On the AOBRD, of course it showed on-duty not driving due to the length of time you sat. I'm pretty sure, if you had started rolling after 6-7 minutes, it would not have taken you off the drive line, even though it "flagged" the time.
Agreed, the bill would apply to everyone and honestly we’d probably very rarely have to use it, but it would be appreciated by the O/O’s and nice when/if we ever needed it.
My main point of the bill is doing away with the 30min mandatory nanny breaks...we’re at home in our own beds every day/night with a well rested with 10+ hours off duty everyday, we should be exempt...or at least have the option like before. All the mandatory nanny break does is extend our days by 30mins when we could be off the congested highways 30mins earlier.

But that is my point, how can we legally get away with logging “on duty, not driving” when we’re behind the wheel with the brakes released?? That would’ve never flown on paper and would certainly got us put OOS for log violation but now it’s “legal”...sounds like abuse of the system to me.

Agreed, the bill would apply to everyone and honestly we’d probably very rarely have to use it, but it would be appreciated by the O/O’s and nice when/if we ever needed it.
My main point of the bill is doing away with the 30min mandatory nanny breaks...we’re at home in our own beds every day/night with a well rested with 10+ hours off duty everyday, we should be exempt...or at least have the option like before. All the mandatory nanny break does is extend our days by 30mins when we could be off the congested highways 30mins earlier.

But that is my point, how can we legally get away with logging “on duty, not driving” when we’re behind the wheel with the brakes released?? That would’ve never flown on paper and would certainly got us put OOS for log violation but now it’s “legal”...sounds like abuse of the system to me.

Just curious, how long is a round of golf?

Actually I think it’s the OOIDA that’s lobbying for the bill as most of the O/O’s would benefit from such changes...and it’s the ATA that’s against the bill as they’re trying to push the O/O’s out of business.
Then wouldn’t they actually be pushing the possibility of 17 hour days? For no more compensation than they get now doing 14... it’s a scam...

Status
Not open for further replies.