XPO | Pay Cut....

I love how lack of information doesn't stop some people from jumping in and blaming Con-way.
I think it's a stupid rule change that will only lengthen my day by 30 minutes, but it's a DOT thing, not a company thing.
I also think it's just a proposal, not a rule yet.
Am I one of a select few that went to the meeting about this where they asked for input and suggestions?
Jeez!
We just got told here in Canada that this is now law, not just a proposal. Coming into effect. They went over it with us just so we were familiar with the new rules.

man... too much drama! ya know this affects the city operation too fellas. It's not brain surgery, just a rule change, and the company has not released their interpretations yet, why all this turmoil? a)Drive to reship b)work dock c)take a thirty minute break d)drive home, sounds pretty simple to me.

The rules aren't subject to company "interpretation" it's the law! Which means they are going to HAVE to allow linehaul drivers to take a lunch at the FAC before their 8th hour on duty. It will push arrivals back so I guess the FACs are going to have to figure out how to get freight worked quicker because they already do a **** poor job of getting freight back to us anyway, let alone adding 30 minutes to the ordeal. Guess Nashville hasn't figured out that if they hold one of our drivers 'til 7:00 eastern time they're going to get stuck in bad traffic coming down 75 every day. 30 minutes is just going to make it worse.

man... too much drama! ya know this affects the city operation too fellas. It's not brain surgery, just a rule change, and the company has not released their interpretations yet, why all this turmoil? a)Drive to reship b)work dock c)take a thirty minute break d)drive home, sounds pretty simple to me.

How does it affect me as a city driver? I'm already supposed to take a 30 minute lunch between my 4th and 6th hour. Now the company is going to be FORCED to allow me a break, not just at the discretion of when it suits a dispatcher. What a shame.

The rules aren't subject to company "interpretation" it's the law! Which means they are going to HAVE to allow linehaul drivers to take a lunch at the FAC before their 8th hour on duty. It will push arrivals back so I guess the FACs are going to have to figure out how to get freight worked quicker because they already do a **** poor job of getting freight back to us anyway, let alone adding 30 minutes to the ordeal. Guess Nashville hasn't figured out that if they hold one of our drivers 'til 7:00 eastern time they're going to get stuck in bad traffic coming down 75 every day. 30 minutes is just going to make it worse.

we hve one particular FOM, where the idea of a break is an absolutely foreign concept..get caught in the break room, chances are you are going home. Too bad he isnt on the FAC anymore. :(

we hve one particular FOM, where the idea of a break is an absolutely foreign concept..get caught in the break room, chances are you are going home. Too bad he isnt on the FAC anymore. :(
Maybe I'm thinking wrong but if your working the dock and want to take your break you need to notify your supervisor? Just being in the break room on an unauthorized break is against company policy.

Im never ready for a brake between the 6th and 8th hour.....im ready for a break between the 8th and 13th!!! This will for sure screw up freight getting back quicker from the FAC.....but if we are forced to do it and clock out then my ass is going out to the truck and taking a nap! ......just going to have to figure out how to idle that truck for more than 3 min at a time in the winter or im gonna freeze my ass off in XHG.

Maybe I'm thinking wrong but if your working the dock and want to take your break you need to notify your supervisor? Just being in the break room on an unauthorized break is against company policy.

Yeah we can't have anyone stopping to take a leak or grab a cup of coffee and take 5 min of company time now... I'm beginning to wonder if taking a **** is going to be a Kronos time code we will be docked for.

All this money they will save by cutting each linehaul driver out of 2 and a half hours each week should make for a huge yearly bonus check.

I call it time to put your big girl panties on and start taking your lunch breaks, or let ConWay have it there way once again!:butt kiss:
Rest breaks
None except as limited by other rule provisions. May drive only if 8 hours or less have passed since end of driver’s last off-duty or sleeper berth period of at least 30 minutes. [49 CFR 397.5 mandatory “in attendance” time for hazardous materials may be included in break if no other duties performed]

This is one of the new HOS rules. All carriers have to comply with this. its not just Conway.

Summary of Hours-of-Service (HOS) Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

I honestly hate taking a break. I've been docked paywise for lunches many weeks when i'm over 6 hrs on the dock. taking a lunch in the middle of the shift makes me sleepy, and my productivity drops significantly. I'd rather go balls to the wall and take my lunch at the end. gotta figure something out. And what, is it going to be a block party in the break room, because drivers usually come in waves to the FAC. So if your run is over 2 hrs, you're supposed to take a 15 min break enroute to the FAC, and 15 min break on the way back home + a 30 min lunch.. Man my inbound supervisor better learn the new regs!

All this money they will save by cutting each linehaul driver out of 2 and a half hours each week should make for a huge yearly bonus check.

Wait...what?
Unless you are dumb enough to work through the break then they aren't making a dime.
And, it's DOT, not Con-way.
Call your congressman, don't whine on a message board.

Wait...what?
Unless you are dumb enough to work through the break then they aren't making a dime.

Your right,they are not MAKING a dime,BUT saving a dime.....Take 2 1/2 hours, times it by 24.62 that equals 61.55....Thats 61.55 a week they save per L/H driver per week..NOW times that by 52 and thats 3,200.60 dollars a year,per driver,conway saves....NOW im not crying im just stating the facts driver...Con-Way is saving a bundle by forcing us to take this at the FAC rather than on the road.....

Wait...what?

Tthe break can be taken at the end of fac. Conway IS trying to force it at the beginning. As long as you show a half hour lunch before you drive again!!! Its not your congressman period.....BS...........Read and reread the rule again! and again for soom of the slower to comprehend.

Tthe break can be taken at the end of fac. Conway IS trying to force it at the beginning. As long as you show a half hour lunch before you drive again!!! Its not your congressman period.....BS...........Read and reread the rule again! and again for soom of the slower to comprehend.

What we were told was IF your LH run is 4 hours or longer you would be required to take your 1/2 hour rest period after you finish dropping your set..IF your LH run is less than 4 hours you are then required to take it before your 8th hour....Which for some of the short runners this might be nice for them to take a break and get off the dock for a bit...

Your right,they are not MAKING a dime,BUT saving a dime.....Take 2 1/2 hours, times it by 24.62 that equals 61.55....Thats 61.55 a week they save per L/H driver per week..NOW times that by 52 and thats 3,200.60 dollars a year,per driver,conway saves....NOW im not crying im just stating the facts driver...Con-Way is saving a bundle by forcing us to take this at the FAC rather than on the road.....
They are not saving any money. It will still take a certain amount of labor to move the freight. It means we now need more domiciled labor to fill in the gaps the lunch opens up.

They are not saving any money. It will still take a certain amount of labor to move the freight. It means we now need more domiciled labor to fill in the gaps the lunch opens up.

So your telling me that the 61.55 im loosing a week and the 3,200.00 im loosing a year does NOT benefit Conway in any way shape or form???? Whatever White shirt,,you seem to know it all dont you....Maybe you should go blow smoke up sombody elses a$$....