XPO | Pay Cut....

I was at XLA last Thursday night and they did a trial run. It's only a 3 hour drive for me so when I showed up I was allowed to work the dock right away. I was on the dock about an hour or so and the sector FOS told me to take my break. Gave my jeep to another driver and he finished my breaker while I sat in the break room for 1/2 hr. Got back from my break and took over for another driver so he could take his break. Sucks loosing out on 50 bucks a week; but that's less taxes the gov't will get from me for their stupid new rule!

I run a long run and I stop at the same place every nite on the way back if I am forced to take a break at the fac I will still stop on the way back I will not eat out of a vending machine and I guess that will cause me to get back later.maybe if everyone would take ther entire breaks maybe they would turn up the slow arse trucks
My problem with a forced lunch is that I cannot eat where I choose. I do not pack a lunch and if I am forced to take a lunch break I want to be at a restaurant of my choice. A city guy will drive to a restaurant and then log break. I want that option to. I log a half hour off duty every day on the way home from a reship and have for years. How am I going to have a fresh subway 12” Philly steak and cheese sub sitting in a Conway break room? Me driving hungry everyday will be a major distraction from my safe driving habits.

My problem with a forced lunch is that I cannot eat where I choose. I do not pack a lunch and if I am forced to take a lunch break I want to be at a restaurant of my choice. A city guy will drive to a restaurant and then log break. I want that option to. I log a half hour off duty every day on the way home from a reship and have for years. How am I going to have a fresh subway 12” Philly steak and cheese sub sitting in a Conway break room? Me driving hungry everyday will be a major distraction from my safe driving habits.

Guess you better go hit the grocery store. We as city drivers have been told specifically by our local city dispatch that we have to be prepared to take or lunch anywhere at any time. So even just two or even fewer hours into my shift if I run upon a customer that's going to hold me up more than 30 minutes I'm supposed to take my lunch. That means lunch in a parking lot, waiting in line to deliver or pickup. As you all know that means I've just taken my only break for the day leaving 8-9 hours of city peddle and dock work with no break. On the other hand if I've got a busy route and lots of pickups the 4th and 6th hour rule in the handbook goes out the window and I've worked 9 or 10 hours with no break. Whatever the case the company is going to make it work out to their advantage. We're just the servo motors who get the work done that's all.

what i was getting at was..... the millons of dollars going to the bottom line that will be passed around at the top.......at our loss...i get my rest and ready to work if i do need a break it is my tenth plus hour so i have an extra 1 hour added to some days... and a 2500 / 2800 per year pay cut....i dont care how ya spin it.......they are taking advantage of the rules....

Subway doesn't know how to make a Philly cheesesteak. Try Jersey Mike's.

what i was getting at was..... the millons of dollars going to the bottom line that will be passed around at the top.......at our loss...i get my rest and ready to work if i do need a break it is my tenth plus hour so i have an extra 1 hour added to some days... and a 2500 / 2800 per year pay cut....i dont care how ya spin it.......they are taking advantage of the rules....

Come on, guys. The freight ain't gonna load itself. They're gonna have to pay somebody to do it.

Come on, guys. The freight ain't gonna load itself. They're gonna have to pay somebody to do it.
I've tried to say this but they won't listen. if we could move the freight with 30 min less work with every driver we would already be doing it. Your 30 min lost will be replaced by a dock worker, domiciled driver or another driver running to the FAC working 30 min longer.

I've tried to say this but they won't listen. if we could move the freight with 30 min less work with every driver we would already be doing it. Your 30 min lost will be replaced by a dock worker, domiciled driver or another driver running to the FAC working 30 min longer.
Momentum. Situational awareness. Two things that get lost when you try to stick a driver into a job that someone else was doing.

It doesn't matter what you do for a living , nobody wants to be dropped in the middle of a job that someone else was doing so they can take a 30min break.

Your right,they are not MAKING a dime,BUT saving a dime.....Take 2 1/2 hours, times it by 24.62 that equals 61.55....Thats 61.55 a week they save per L/H driver per week..NOW times that by 52 and thats 3,200.60 dollars a year,per driver,conway saves....NOW im not crying im just stating the facts driver...Con-Way is saving a bundle by forcing us to take this at the FAC rather than on the road.....
It will only be 52 weeks, if they steal our vacation again.

Guess you better go hit the grocery store.
We as city drivers have been told specifically by our local city dispatch that we have to be prepared to take or lunch anywhere at any time. So even just two or even fewer hours into my shift if I run upon a customer that's going to hold me up more than 30 minutes I'm supposed to take my lunch. That means lunch in a parking lot, waiting in line to deliver or pickup.
As you all know that means I've just taken my only break for the day leaving 8-9 hours of city peddle and dock work with no break. On the other hand if I've got a busy route and lots of pickups the 4th and 6th hour rule in the handbook goes out the window and I've worked 9 or 10 hours with no break. Whatever the case the company is going to make it work out to their advantage. We're just the servo motors who get the work done that's all.

I looked this up, JJ Keller says you must take it before the start of the 8th hour and its at the drivers discretion, we are going through the same, Sysco will try and make us take it 3 hrs into our shift at the warehouse to get it out of the way, who is ready to eat lunch 3 hrs in?

I talked to a Steward and he agreed it will be at the driver discretion, look into it, its not a union thing, its the law, I do believe they can't force us to take it at mgmt. choosing.

It's not according to Con-Way, D.O.T rules go into effect and after the 7th hour you can not drive till you take a 30minute break. Plain and simple. If you don't like it call Washington and complain. If you don't want to do it then bid city, OH that's right they have to take a lunch. Look I don't like it but there is not alot we can do at this point.

Okay so do it nobodys going to say a thing. just run a legal log book. What is so hard about that. When you get to the yard punch your 265 and find out about your loads. Don't sit around off the clock with out your log biik started, if yoy do you are not legal.

Okay so do it nobodys going to say a thing. just run a legal log book. What is so hard about that. When you get to the yard punch your 265 and find out about your loads. Don't sit around off the clock with out your log biik started, if yoy do you are not legal.

Oh the talking heads at xgo aren't going to go for that! Our drivers down here in the sunny south can't punch until hooks are in hand or until a pre-hook has green authorized by the supervisor. If you show up when they tell you to and your hooks aren't done you're outta luck buddy.

I looked this up, JJ Keller says you must take it before the start of the 8th hour and its at the drivers discretion, we are going through the same, Sysco will try and make us take it 3 hrs into our shift at the warehouse to get it out of the way, who is ready to eat lunch 3 hrs in?

I talked to a Steward and he agreed it will be at the driver discretion, look into it, its not a union thing, its the law, I do believe they can't force us to take it at mgmt. choosing.
Thank you GT for the info.

How are FedEx , OldDom , UPSF , E , YRC (and their regionals) ABF etc. handling this in their linehaul and city operations?

sadly this in con-way. And when the gods on Mount XGO put forth an edict, us peons must be in total submission immediately. :)

sadly this in con-way. And when the gods on Mount XGO put forth an edict, us peons must be in total submission immediately. :)
ou
Just take advantage of it..like anything else..make it work for you. I'm sure just about everybody spends several minutes BS'ing or filling our paperwork.logs etc. it's not gonna be that big a deal.. but in the end, you can thank the u.s. gov. for extra 30 mins. in your work day..I think the whole thing is useless myself..but I do think we should be able to take the 3o mins at our discretion,,as per the law.

ou
Just take advantage of it..like anything else..make it work for you. I'm sure just about everybody spends several minutes BS'ing or filling our paperwork.logs etc. it's not gonna be that big a deal.. but in the end, you can thank the u.s. gov. for extra 30 mins. in your work day..I think the whole thing is useless myself..but I do think we should be able to take the 3o mins at our discretion,,as per the law.

Well you know it's not going to be at our discretion you can bet your socks on that. Nothing around here is at our discretion.

You said it yourself "we will have to bring in more domiciled labor" What you didn't say was at a lesser rate

just rambling but say 5000 linehaul drivers making an average of $21/hr X 2.5hrs a week = $52.50X 52 weeks= 13,650,000
I can see a huge bonus check with all this savings.