XPO | Pay Cut....

just rambling but say 5000 linehaul drivers making an average of $21/hr X 2.5hrs a week = $52.50X 52 weeks= 13,650,000
I can see a huge bonus check with all this savings.

Con-Way could have instituted this as company policy years ago, but didn't. They could also go further, and say everyone has to take a 1 hour lunch, but they're not.

Believe it or not, management doesn't like this any more than you do.

Con-Way could have instituted this as company policy years ago, but didn't. They could also go further, and say everyone has to take a 1 hour lunch, but they're not.

Believe it or not, management doesn't like this any more than you do.
Oh,dear if management said it, it's true. They have so much credibility after the last 7 or 8 years.

Guess you better go hit the grocery store. We as city drivers have been told specifically by our local city dispatch that we have to be prepared to take or lunch anywhere at any time. So even just two or even fewer hours into my shift if I run upon a customer that's going to hold me up more than 30 minutes I'm supposed to take my lunch. That means lunch in a parking lot, waiting in line to deliver or pickup. As you all know that means I've just taken my only break for the day leaving 8-9 hours of city peddle and dock work with no break. On the other hand if I've got a busy route and lots of pickups the 4th and 6th hour rule in the handbook goes out the window and I've worked 9 or 10 hours with no break. Whatever the case the company is going to make it work out to their advantage. We're just the servo motors who get the work done that's all.

How can you be off duty for a 30 min lunch, and still be on duty to move your truck when you are in line to pick up or deliver freight? Lunch break is between 4th and 6th hour.

How can you be off duty for a 30 min lunch, and still be on duty to move your truck when you are in line to pick up or deliver freight? Lunch break is between 4th and 6th hour.

If the grey shirts say so that's what happens. At least around here it does. Usually this happens when you go to a customer closed for lunch and can't work around their freight. Sucks if it happens in your 1st or 2nd hour on the street.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've been told to take my lunch while on line already. I informed the dispatcher that if I did, I would lose my spot. He said never mind, just wait.

Sometimes you just need to open your mouth.

If the grey shirts say so that's what happens. At least around here it does. Usually this happens when you go to a customer closed for lunch and can't work around their freight. Sucks if it happens in your 1st or 2nd hour on the street.
If that happens you will have to take another break at the 9 or 10 hr.

If that happens you will have to take another break at the 9 or 10 hr.

Ha nope, the rule sez you may not DRIVE, it doesn't say anything about dockwork after 8 hours in duty with no break, so it's cool, the company won't be losing anything on me despite the extremely long period of work with no break.

you should get atleast 2 paid breaks as well in all that time. or be a smoker and take 5 smoke breaks at about 10 mins each atleast plus a lunch..

you should get atleast 2 paid breaks as well in all that time. or be a smoker and take 5 smoke breaks at about 10 mins each atleast plus a lunch..

Smoke breaks... I got so pissed at my other drivers stopping for smoke breaks, one night on outbound when they went for a smoke break, I shut my lift off and put my feet up. Fos came screaming over asking me WTF I was doing... I said smoke break. He looked at all the idle lifts on the dock, looked outside and walked away. Scm stopped the smoke break thing the next morning.