TForce | Pension

Skeeter

TB Veteran
Credits
Well, From what I've been hearing is the pension is the main hold out on the contract.
UPS wants to control it and the teamsters want control of it in their funds.

If that is true then they won't get my vote I want my almost 25 years either paid to me or frozen. I'll start from scratch with the union.

What do some of you ex-overniters and MC with a lot of years feel about the teamsters getting control of our pension. I don't like it.

I say we start from scratch with the union. Leave our pension we earned alone.:hide:

I I know I'll get crucified for posting this, but....

MakeUPSDeliver said:
Include UPS Freight Employees in Teamster Pension Plans. UPS employs 15,000 nonunion drivers and dock workers at UPS Freight. We need to use our bargaining power to unionize these workers and bring them into Teamster benefit plans. That would add some $180 million in pension contributions to our funds every year. If we let management keep this growing sector out of our union pension plan, we're undermining our future.
SOURCE

Now I could have misunderstood, or could have been having a senior moment, but I recall UPS CFO Scott D. and Spokeman Ira R. of UPSF stating that if Indy does vote the union in their pensions would be frozen and they would be picked up by the IBT. Also to add some backing to that the Local President said the same thing at a meeting our whole barn went to. Unless things have changed, this is what I thought I knew. And I also agree with both skeeter and skeeterhawk. Leave the funds alone. Just like having to many hands in the till.

My vote is to either freeze what we have earned.
Or roll it into our 401-k's.

Then when the Teamsters contract kicks in, we would start from zero the first minute of day one with them.

I know that our areas Teamster local officials said that the Overnite pension would stop,and UPS would start paying into the union pension fund when the contract started.

I also know they said we would have to work at least 5 full years to be able to get any of UPS's pension contributions,that were paid in on our behalf,as per the terms of this new custom made UPS Freight contract.

Well, From what I've been hearing is the pension is the main hold out on the contract.
UPS wants to control it and the teamsters want control of it in their funds.

If that is true then they won't get my vote I want my almost 25 years either paid to me or frozen. I'll start from scratch with the union.

What do some of you ex-overniters and MC with a lot of years feel about the teamsters getting control of our pension. I don't like it.

I say we start from scratch with the union. Leave our pension we earned alone.:hide:

For all you O guys I hope this is the case....You all deserve what you have earned...As for me and the years I have put in I am really starting at zero either way....MC didn't have much of anything....If they give credit for X amount of years....It should be frozen for you all past that point....Any other way you guys would be getting the short end of the stick......I have always felt this would be problem.......I don't really want all my eggs in UPS's basket either though.....

Now I could have misunderstood, or could have been having a senior moment, but I recall UPS CFO Scott D. and Spokeman Ira R. of UPSF stating that if Indy does vote the union in their pensions would be frozen and they would be picked up by the IBT. Also to add some backing to that the Local President said the same thing at a meeting our whole barn went to. Unless things have changed, this is what I thought I knew. And I also agree with both skeeter and skeeterhawk. Leave the funds alone. Just like having to many hands in the till.

I agree, and also this is what I was told by local officials. FROZEN!!!!:1036316054:

I haven't earned anything yet anyway but I would be real suspicious if the teamsters wanted what I already earned. Do they really want to represent me or do they just want my retirement money? That shouldnt have anything to do with them. I'll start from day one with them when I join.

Let me add a little insight of my own here.

One, if the union and UPS can't agree I feel the members will suffer.

Two, UPS tried to take over the pension before and wanted the monies involved from the funds the same way the teamster supposedly want to do ( if that the case at all). I guess if its good for the goose its good for the gander. I detect some posturing here.

Third if the membership chooses to collect from two differnt funds you may collect less in the long run.

Does 25 yrs with Overnite fund plus 10 years with Teamster fund equal the same as 35 yrs with Teamster fund or visaversa.

What if UPS takes over the pension and doesn't control any monies from the Teamster fund, will your Overnite pension and UPS pension still add up togeter of will they be seperate?

Don't trust UPS, believe me you are just a number. Your life, your family, your financial stability in the future, mean nothing to them.

Money and money for the stock holders is what its about. You are even looked down upon if you don't contribute weekly to the United Way because it makes UPS as a whole look bad.

Finally and most importantly, where is this infomation coming from? Is it company anti-union propaganda that is surfacing to sabatoose the contract vote?

Is the pension the biggest sticking point again all of a sudden.

Isn't job security, seniority, work rules, delay time pay, overtime, holidays, and the rest of the things that have been hashed out here important too?

Skeeter two weeks ago you were ready to take the oath because of the treatment you or you fellow workers were receiving. I thought it was very admirial that you were thinking and talking that way about others and not just yourself.

In my mind money is a selfish issue. I'm not calling you selfish but think about the cahnges that will take place in you work place under a Collective Barginning Agreement. Pensions are a good thing to have and hopefully in the future we will all get something. I'd rather take my chances at a poker table then gamble on the futrue of the pensions. Nothing is guarenteed but death and taxes.

Got to go, I'm headed to Foxwoods today to pay my registration fee into the Foxwoods Poker Classsic, A WPT event. I will be playing March 31 at noon. 10000 no limit

Ladies and gentalmen What I am about to say you can go back into the archives of this post and see for yourself.

The pention @ "O" will be frozen and untouched by the union.

What HUGNLUG has said above is 100 % correct.
As nospinzone just quoted 15000 new contributers will sink 180,000,000 a year into the pot, when the pot is created.

Skeeter asked JUST ME, when this post was brought into question the first time around 2 servers ago, and JUST ME quoted " our pentions from "O" is not even an issue" they will have nothing to do with the union, we will be starting from scratch, and I also heard this @ the union hall.

When you hear about the teamster's getting the pention from company officials it's usually a scare tactic too get people to rethink thier decision.

But they cannot get what we have earned unless we sighn a waiver allowing them to be the new investment firm, for the employees.

For all you O guys I hope this is the case....You all deserve what you have earned...As for me and the years I have put in I am really starting at zero either way....MC didn't have much of anything....If they give credit for X amount of years....It should be frozen for you all past that point....Any other way you guys would be getting the short end of the stick......I have always felt this would be problem.......I don't really want all my eggs in UPS's basket either though.....

Guys like you and there is a lot of you are sitting in a good position. I do hope and want the best for you. But you have to understand there are a lot of 20 years and up men and women at Overnite.

We have to be very careful of how this contract is spelled out concerning our pension.

There are a lot of pitfalls in a union contract when it comes to retirement. Such as lost time and break in service which all affects your pension.

They may make it sound so good but in the end if you don't quite fit their little formula then you all of a sudden get far less than you thought you was going to get.

I know it happened to my brother-in -law when they shut down System 99 and couldn't get more time in before he had to hang it up.

So I'm just saying I don't want any special deals with my pension. Like put in 5 more years and you will get this or that. And if you don't well sorry but you only get this now.

Remember even if you think you have more than enough years to work to fit what ever formula they come up with your health may fail tomorrow.:hide:

I want my current pension left alone I have no problem with UPS handling it. At least it won't be divided up to pay for all the other teamsters retirement.

Again I don't mind becoming teamsters and starting from scratch and paying my dues like every other teamster and hopefully get a little extra in 5 years or however long I have left.

Let me add a little insight of my own here.

One, if the union and UPS can't agree I feel the members will suffer.

Two, UPS tried to take over the pension before and wanted the monies involved from the funds the same way the teamster supposedly want to do ( if that the case at all). I guess if its good for the goose its good for the gander. I detect some posturing here.

Third if the membership chooses to collect from two differnt funds you may collect less in the long run.

Does 25 yrs with Overnite fund plus 10 years with Teamster fund equal the same as 35 yrs with Teamster fund or visaversa.

What if UPS takes over the pension and doesn't control any monies from the Teamster fund, will your Overnite pension and UPS pension still add up togeter of will they be seperate?

Don't trust UPS, believe me you are just a number. Your life, your family, your financial stability in the future, mean nothing to them.

Money and money for the stock holders is what its about. You are even looked down upon if you don't contribute weekly to the United Way because it makes UPS as a whole look bad.

Finally and most importantly, where is this infomation coming from? Is it company anti-union propaganda that is surfacing to sabatoose the contract vote?

Is the pension the biggest sticking point again all of a sudden.

Isn't job security, seniority, work rules, delay time pay, overtime, holidays, and the rest of the things that have been hashed out here important too?

Skeeter two weeks ago you were ready to take the oath because of the treatment you or you fellow workers were receiving. I thought it was very admirial that you were thinking and talking that way about others and not just yourself.

In my mind money is a selfish issue. I'm not calling you selfish but think about the cahnges that will take place in you work place under a Collective Barginning Agreement. Pensions are a good thing to have and hopefully in the future we will all get something. I'd rather take my chances at a poker table then gamble on the futrue of the pensions. Nothing is guarenteed but death and taxes.

Got to go, I'm headed to Foxwoods today to pay my registration fee into the Foxwoods Poker Classsic, A WPT event. I will be playing March 31 at noon. 10000 no limit

Nothing has changed in my mind about the way we are treated and my new support of the teamsters. Hopefully a better future for all my fellow workers.
But how can you even suggest that I am selfish because I am concerned about my pension.

If it was just me maybe I would be a little bolder. But I have a wife that may just out live me. She is the one that I am VERY selfish over.

Nothing has changed in my mind about the way we are treated and my new support of the teamsters. Hopefully a better future for all my fellow workers.
But how can you even suggest that I am selfish because I am concerned about my pension.

If it was just me maybe I would be a little bolder. But I have a wife that may just out live me. She is the one that I am VERY selfish over.

Skeeter you didn't read my post!!!

I didn't call you selfish, I even made it clear that I wasn't calling you selfish.

I said, "In my mind money is a selfish issue".
That is my opinion strickly.

All other issues in my mind are selfless

Skeeter you didn't read my post!!!

I didn't call you selfish, I even made it clear that I wasn't calling you selfish.

I said, "In my mind money is a selfish issue".
That is my opinion strickly.

All other issues in my mind are selfless

I read it and stand by my response.

We need 5 years to be vested in the Teamsters pension fund.

Now this is going to sound mighty selfish on my part.
But I'm going to be 63 in a few days.
I had 20.2 years Teamsters credit form 1966 till I gave up my union card in 1986.
I'm going on 21 years with a break in service.
So when the Teamster contract is launched for UPS Freight I have to work 5 more years to be revested,and intitled to recieve anymore union pension money.

I'd like to see us new Teamster members be grandfathered into the pension.

Even though I don't think I will retire anytime soon I don't think I'll work another 5 years,I'd be pushing 70.

I'm very greatful that God has blessed me with very good health up to now,but the older you get,anything could happen anytime,to put a damper in your plan.

So this is how I'm looking at this issue.

If money is selfish then I am selfish. What about the people who only 3 or 4 years at overnite. They are not vested they don't get anything. They get to start from scratch again and wait 5 more years before they are vested almost giving 10 years of their life just to start a pension.

If money is selfish then I am selfish. What about the people who only 3 or 4 years at overnite. They are not vested they don't get anything. They get to start from scratch again and wait 5 more years before they are vested almost giving 10 years of their life just to start a pension.

Yes but in the case you just stated more times than not the person is a lot younger and usually can work another 20 plus years.
A person with 20 or more years has to be a lot more careful.

Maybe the union will do the right thing and count your years of service with Overnite and add them with the years of service you put in with the union.

That is usually after a certain amount of time like 5 years of service before that kicks in.

Guys like you and there is a lot of you are sitting in a good position. I do hope and want the best for you. But you have to understand there are a lot of 20 years and up men and women at Overnite.

We have to be very careful of how this contract is spelled out concerning our pension.

There are a lot of pitfalls in a union contract when it comes to retirement. Such as lost time and break in service which all affects your pension.

They may make it sound so good but in the end if you don't quite fit their little formula then you all of a sudden get far less than you thought you was going to get.

I know it happened to my brother-in -law when they shut down System 99 and couldn't get more time in before he had to hang it up.

So I'm just saying I don't want any special deals with my pension. Like put in 5 more years and you will get this or that. And if you don't well sorry but you only get this now.

Remember even if you think you have more than enough years to work to fit what ever formula they come up with your health may fail tomorrow.:hide:

I want my current pension left alone I have no problem with UPS handling it. At least it won't be divided up to pay for all the other teamsters retirement.

Again I don't mind becoming teamsters and starting from scratch and paying my dues like every other teamster and hopefully get a little extra in 5 years or however long I have left.

I do not blame you, even if you are selfish, just for the statement's you have made, after all if you do not support the family who will.

I too had the same questions as you in the beginning, I am surprised you of all people do not remember skeet.

I was the one happy that you asked the damn question.:1036316054:

Folks this is how it works.
Once the union comes in and we are unionized our pension that we have with UPS FREIGHT will be frozen, that means NO one can touch your pension except YOU. That is yours. NO company or union can use it in anyway shape or form.
From the time we become a union company you will start a pension in the union. It will be 170. for every year worked.

Lets say you worked 20 years for Overnite/UPS Freight your pension is -1500 per month
Plus you work 20 years thru the Teamsters this is your pension = 3400
YOUR PENSION
UPS FREIGHT PENSION =1500
+ Teamsters Pension =3400