TForce | Pension

I would love to see this. Its been thrown around for a while now. But I really don't see this happening. As for the IBT offering us 2 for 1 after 5 years. We really don't have a clue what they are offering. Has someone told you this is the offering in the contract or is it just hear say because it has been done in the past with other mergers. Im sure UPS is not in love with this offering either. I would be very surprised if UPS negotiates the pension with the teamsters. I would not be surprised to see our pension stay right where it is. I just want to see some kind of enhancement to our pension so I can get out as early as possable.

Oh where is your sense of adventure????? You would just sit around and drive your wife crazy.....Then go work at Wally World for something to do....I doubt they have such a cool place to gripe like we do.....WallyBoards...Just don't sound right....And anyway don't you want to be here as long as that old guy that has been with UPS for 60 years or whatever????

What's this talk about UPS negotiating the pension with the teamsters? Don't you have a vote on the matter? Can't you tell your teamster representation that you're unwilling to give it to them? It would seem to me that you have some sort of say in the matter. It's not between UPS and teamsters, but rather between you and the union that you so badly wanted. Now deal with it and take control of your pension and 401k matching contribution if it really means anything to you. Otherwise, kiss it good-bye.

That'd be like me wondering if my auto loan lender is going to give my car to my mechanic. Not if I don't want him to. If you're worried about losing your pension and matching 401k, then don't give it to the union and vote down the deal that does that.

What's this talk about UPS negotiating the pension with the teamsters? Don't you have a vote on the matter? Can't you tell your teamster representation that you're unwilling to give it to them? It would seem to me that you have some sort of say in the matter. It's not between UPS and teamsters, but rather between you and the union that you so badly wanted. Now deal with it and take control of your pension and 401k matching contribution if it really means anything to you. Otherwise, kiss it good-bye.

That'd be like me wondering if my auto loan lender is going to give my car to my mechanic. Not if I don't want him to. If you're worried about losing your pension and matching 401k, then don't give it to the union and vote down the deal that does that.
Who said anything about the 401 match. why would they give that up. You must be from the old overnite.part of the smart bunch. leo is gone. never to return.

You do have a vote in the matter, what are you, new here?

And yes you do have a say in the matter. There are contract negioations going on right now that are being conducted by those that do care about their futures and do want the Teamsters. If you don't want them it just as much your right as it is those that want it.

I'd like to see you sit down with UPS and negioated your 401k matches and Pension alone and see how far you get, isn't that what your suggesting. "deal with it and take control" They'd eat you up in seconds.
If your so concerned with your money and future why are you borrowing money from a lender to buy a car? And why would anyone bring their car to a mecahnic, that's thowing money down the drain. Isn't that like being a Teamster in your eyes?

Well its my understanding from what I hearing from the Teamster wannabees at my terminal.
Everything has been brought to the table,and has been written in the Fledgling Indy contract.
The only point left is the pension.

I think of all the work,everyone has put into these Teamster union Indy contract talks.
And they've come to this one sticking point.

Pension plans are a fadding animal.
A lot of companies don't even want to offer them anymore.
Most company pensions now are 401-k's only with a company match.

The Teamsters NMFA pension is a sweet deal,but we won't have any part of that,with our own UPS Freight made to order contract.

So at this point we can only guess what the out come of the Indy contract will be?
As well as when it will be offered for a vote?

It sure will be awful if its not a good contrct after all this time,and will be voted down?

I'm with you on this Skeeter my brother in Jesus.
TIME WILL DEFINATELLY TELL!!!

Well I do not know how things are in the midwest, I assume everything is hunkey dorey after seeing your post. If UPS sighns on the dotted line or not I am still voting for the teamsters, your post signifies to some degree that you do not want the teamster's, which is fine of coarse. But weather UPS or the teamsters get the runner up pention, not the current pention, I am fine with it.

There is more then 1 issue of coarse, above and beyond the pention, for consideration into the union.

I would love to see this. Its been thrown around for a while now. But I really don't see this happening. As for the IBT offering us 2 for 1 after 5 years. We really don't have a clue what they are offering. Has someone told you this is the offering in the contract or is it just hear say because it has been done in the past with other mergers. Im sure UPS is not in love with this offering either. I would be very surprised if UPS negotiates the pension with the teamsters. I would not be surprised to see our pension stay right where it is. I just want to see some kind of enhancement to our pension so I can get out as early as possable.
This was what was originally presented at our local union meetings by a union official. Maybe it has gone by the wayside. At this point, Buster Brown has us by the throats. Without a contract we are glued, screwed and tatoo'd!!! And I'm willing to bet the IBT knows this. We have guys right now that would be willing to sign a piece of toilet paper if it meant any kind of protection. And some of these men are good employees with good work ethics. I almost see it as cattle being funneled into a corral. Here's the contract....like it, or face the music!!! :hide:

Oh where is your sense of adventure????? You would just sit around and drive your wife crazy.....Then go work at Wally World for something to do....I doubt they have such a cool place to gripe like we do.....WallyBoards...Just don't sound right....And anyway don't you want to be here as long as that old guy that has been with UPS for 60 years or whatever????

After 29 years of trucking, I really do think that I could enjoy driving my wife crazy. Im just sick of being behind a steering wheel.:1036316054:

What difference would it be for you if you retire BusterNite?
Your a Roady now,you drive with the four wheel idiots all night,and are with your wife during the day now,unless shes working someplace during the day.
But if you aren't driving her bonkers now,why would retirement be any worse?

Besides that your not going to just stay home,and dry up sitting in your lounger with a cold one in one hand,and the clicker in the other.
You seem to me like someone that could think of a lot of things to do other than being a steering wheel holder.
If I were you I wouldn't worry about it,if you want to hang it up just do it.
You don't have to worry about what anyone thinks,or says about you.
Their not walking in your shoes.
I say if others want to run my life,they can help me pay my monthly payments as well.

Now who can fault this here feel good post ?

Its all good BusterNite,just do what you want,and don't worry about anyone else,or anything.

My point is that you guys are sitting here speculating what the union will get for you. Maybe you should have known what they were going to negotiate before you signed on with them. (Car analogy again). That'd be like signing for a car loan without first knowing the terms.

As for the 401k matching, union employees at UPS do not get the matching 50% up to 7%. Only non-union, so when you go union, you can kiss that good-bye. And the ONLY thing the teamsters want from you is to manage your pension and health benefits. What else is in it for them?

As for what we do, I will do like everyone else and I'll go along with the 50% plus one. I'm just wish people would think before they jump and know what they're giving up before they ever know what the union is going to get them.

I can think of one other thing the Teamster would like to have of ours.

How about 2&1/2 hours pay per employee per month?

I've heard from my TM that our UPS LTL division has about 16000 workers.
So you take this amount of money every month times all of these 16000 workers and that comes up to a nice piece of change.

Dues money goes to the operation of the union.
So all of the union leaders maybe counting on getting a very sizable raise in their future,when all of us UPS freight haulers come on board.

I can think of one other thing the Teamster would like to have of ours.

How about 2&1/2 hours pay per employee per month?

I've heard from my TM that our UPS LTL division has about 16000 workers.
So you take this amount of money every month times all of these 16000 workers and that comes up to a nice piece of change.

Dues money goes to the operation of the union.
So all of the union leaders maybe counting on getting a very sizable raise in their future,when all of us UPS freight haulers come on board.

Apostolic, although 16,000 members is quite a few it really does not make that much of a difference in a union of 1.4 million members.

If all UPSF employees join it will represent only about 1% of Teamster members. When it's put into perspective like that it's really not gonna affect the union finances much.
Plus, dues money does not just go into a bank account and sit there. It's spend on things like running the local, the international and actually representing the members at the barns that decide to join.

My point is that you guys are sitting here speculating what the union will get for you. Maybe you should have known what they were going to negotiate before you signed on with them. (Car analogy again). That'd be like signing for a car loan without first knowing the terms.

upgf-driver, The union is not negotiating a contract for themselves. They are negotiating it for the members. The employees themselves are the ones that actually tell the union what they are looking for in a contract and they also have final say on whether it gets approved or not.

I really don't see where your car analogy fits this scenario. The employees are not "signing" for anything and they are the ones that actually spell out the terms before voting on them.

Apo,
When the new Contract is put into place there will be many grievances just to test the waters and I'd be willing to bet that a lot of that dues money will be spent defending the new members in time and travel. Plus, you can actually stop and eat lunch finally and when you're boss complains if you don't make all of your pickups you can say "oh well" and there won't be a damn thing he can do about it.

As for the 401k matching, union employees at UPS do not get the matching 50% up to 7%. Only non-union, so when you go union, you can kiss that good-bye. And the ONLY thing the teamsters want from you is to manage your pension and health benefits. What else is in it for them?

As for what we do, I will do like everyone else and I'll go along with the 50% plus one. I'm just wish people would think before they jump and know what they're giving up before they ever know what the union is going to get them.

First of all the contract itself at this point is a basic contract for us other than Indy,I am sure Indy has already (I assume) worked on it's suppliments for central states, and is negotiating currently of coarse.

The contract when ratified by the company, must be presented too those who wanted the teamster's to begin with and then they ( people in INDY) say yeah or nay, thus ratifying thier contract.

So even though we speculate, and most of us on this site does just that. The ideas floating around from this speculation could infact be used when other region's vote for thier suppliments. Not a bad thing.

But for someone who has not been involved in the transitioning of the union into a new co. Your car analogy holds no water in this matter.

If we were too implement your car analogy, we would be here for years just trying too figure out what people want on paper,( rather clumsy and time consuming srtategy) . I have 30 more years to go and probably would not see a contract until I retire.

If the 50 - 7% ratio disappears, but after 30 years I gain 55% more in my pention what Have I lost?

The implementation of a 401 K is nothing more then fluidity in the market, and in result over 30 years could infact be less then a 55% gain in my pention. And furthermore ,correct me if I am wrong brownies, brownies do get the 401K through UPS but do not get the stock match.

Besides, as for speculation, lets say they keep our retirement the way it is and they do not throw away 50-7, what would you say then? We will certainly retire with less in pention then we could have. but gain a match in a 401K with a match, you are not comparing apples to apples in your car analogy. We ( the contract) is simply shifting monies from one benifit too another, I fail too see where we will be losing anything here.

As far as managing the health and welfare, do you realize what UPS will save in ADMINISTRATIVE COST'S if they move HR to the Teamster's, particularly if we are paying for this. It is and I am sure being ignorent too ups figures of coarse,
(QUITE A BIG CHUNK OF CHANGE)

As a matter of fact in an interview with Mike E last year he said and I quote " We are currently working too diminish redundancy in our trucking and supply chain solution divisions, which inturn is directly related to thier losses, which also include ADMINISTARTIVE COSTS ' . If the teamster's take over health and welfare, UPS has victory in cutting some of it's ADMINISTRATIVE COST'S.

Speculate all we want, shame on us. ( but I can see where your car analogy can be put too good use here).
No offence of coarse just reality.

Apostolic, although 16,000 members is quite a few it really does not make that much of a difference in a union of 1.4 million members.

If all UPSF employees join it will represent only about 1% of Teamster members. When it's put into perspective like that it's really not gonna affect the union finances much.
Plus, dues money does not just go into a bank account and sit there. It's spend on things like running the local, the international and actually representing the members at the barns that decide to join.

I dont have the figures handy right now, but if I remember correctly, most of your dues money will stay right within your local. Only a small portion of it goes to the International.

And furthermore ,correct me if I am wrong brownies, brownies do get the 401K through UPS but do not get the stock match.

The UPS/Teamster employees do go through the UPS/Teamsters 401k. And you are correct... there is no match on your contributions.

That would be great if we could see all the negotiations before we asked for representation. IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY! You need to learn a little more about how a union organization works. This whole contract ONLY pertains to Indy right now. First, Indy employee's asks for representation. They win the majority vote for representation. And then the teamsters and the employee's negotiate a contract for those employee's only. And then those employee's will vote on that contract. If the Indy employee's except the contract then this contract will serve as a model contract for the rest of the company. And then the rest of the company (terminals) will read the contract and vote whether they want it or not. So you see, all you can do right now is speculate as what will be in the contract. So whats the big deal? When its done, We will read it and decide whether we want it or not.

My vote is to either freeze what we have earned.
Or roll it into our 401-k's.

Then when the Teamsters contract kicks in, we would start from zero the first minute of day one with them.

I know that our areas Teamster local officials said that the Overnite pension would stop,and UPS would start paying into the union pension fund when the contract started.

I also know they said we would have to work at least 5 full years to be able to get any of UPS's pension contributions,that were paid in on our behalf,as per the terms of this new custom made UPS Freight contract.

I like the roll it in our 401K idea. :1036316054: