FedEx Freight | Policy Update: Active collision mitigation system & Fwd facing cameras

The problem I have with it is if you are let go because of it and like I have 24 safe years here at Fedex and now would be branded as a unsafe driver, who would hire you because of a data criteria that was made and can be changed at will.

Last edited:
The drivers had their chance to prevent this nonsense a couple of years ago and refused it. While the electronic logs are a federal mandate that must be adhered to, the cameras are not.

While "score card" was promised never to return, I foresee "Incident Tally Sheet" to be in the future.

The drivers had their chance to prevent this nonsense a couple of years ago and refused it. While the electronic logs are a federal mandate that must be adhered to, the cameras are not.

While "score card" was promised never to return, I foresee "Incident Tally Sheet" to be in the future.
The cameras themselves can't be blocked, but punishment for what is observed can be.

Whether or not that's good or necessary depends on your point of view. I am personally anti-camera unless the driver chooses to fit his own. They are expensive and are only capable of protecting a carrier in the event of an accident. They are mostly used by people who don't drive trucks to lecture people that do.

Where do we begin? In your attempt to be cute, you are misunderstanding, and theorizing, quite a lot.
While you are accusing me of being "cute, misunderstanding, and theorizing", it's yourself that's overreacting.

1) Direct your attention to the 1st 3 lines. Specifically the terms "As soon as possible", 5 min., and "Communicate this Pre-Shift to all FedEx Freight Drivers". So, not speculation. Not district X, region Y, or centers a, b, & c. ALL Drivers.
1) Company policy says that when things are posted (including items during pre-shifts), they require a stamp that includes the day posted, the day to be removed from posting, and the signature of a supervisor to be deemed official. Until the item is posted or preshifted and then posted, it's not official, and that's my point. As for all drivers, we both know that doesn't/won't happen and to assume is does is asinine.

2) You imply (Again) that I condone, or somehow want to "protect" unsafe driving. Speculation that is far from the truth. I've yet to address the policy, specifically. Unlike you, I can fully understand the how & why of the updated policy.
2) Correct, you haven't given your opinion yet. Asking if you condone this type of behavior is another way of asking for your opinion!!

3) We should be notified of policy WHEN it changes, or before. You seem happy with being informed after. How long after do you find acceptable? 1-2 weeks? 1-2 months? You can call it hearsay, if you like, but it seems to be the policy NOW.
Here's an example of you overreacting...we aren't policy writers, we're drivers, and unless we're writing the policy, how could we possible know BEFORE it changes?? We always find out after the change, it's how it works. Acceptable, within a few business days of course...and I don't know of anyone who's been reprimanded for a future policy, that's why we either sign or scan our badges to confirm that we've been made aware of such changes and to prevent such things from happening.

4) Cameras are part of the "lane departure warning system", which most locations' fleets do have. Whether they contain "capture capabilities", I won't speculate. Either way, we will all be exposed to them soon.
Again, overreacting...the "lane departure warning system" has nothing to do with the topic.

5) As far as "hilarious fear mongering" at your center, there is speculation as to whether this policy will even apply there...
Then why all of the fear mongering?? Again, I'll speculate that it's because after seven months they have nothing else worthy to talk about!!

Although the company no longer keeps a "scorecard" on us, the Fed Govt still does...on the company and the driver. Have an accident or fail a roadside inspection and you'll get your letter of how many points the Govt has assessed you...accumulate to many points and the Govt will pull your CDL!!

Based on your post in the other forum, I don't think you fully understand what the brotherhood's about. You willingly admitting you'll have someone terminated over something so petty is not Brotherhood material.

On second thought let me retract that statement. I fully experienced what today's Brotherhood was truly about. You'll fit right in Sir.

Now the teamsters of old you wouldn't fit in. Maybe one day they can get back to what they were originally about, but that's another topic entirely.

While you are accusing me of being "cute, misunderstanding, and theorizing", it's yourself that's overreacting.

1) Company policy says that when things are posted (including items during pre-shifts), they require a stamp that includes the day posted, the day to be removed from posting, and the signature of a supervisor to be deemed official. Until the item is posted or preshifted and then posted, it's not official, and that's my point. As for all drivers, we both know that doesn't/won't happen and to assume is does is asinine.

2) Correct, you haven't given your opinion yet. Asking if you condone this type of behavior is another way of asking for your opinion!!

Here's an example of you overreacting...we aren't policy writers, we're drivers, and unless we're writing the policy, how could we possible know BEFORE it changes?? We always find out after the change, it's how it works. Acceptable, within a few business days of course...and I don't know of anyone who's been reprimanded for a future policy, that's why we either sign or scan our badges to confirm that we've been made aware of such changes and to prevent such things from happening.

Again, overreacting...the "lane departure warning system" has nothing to do with the topic.

Then why all of the fear mongering?? Again, I'll speculate that it's because after seven months they have nothing else worthy to talk about!!

1 Nonsense. This is a directive "to Preshift" . A topic to share, ASAP.

2) You should recuse yourself from the safe and defensive driving portion of the discussion. As a Self Described "Aggressive" driver, your credibility has been lost. Challenged, at a minimum. Just saying... :kickedoutsmile:

3) Simple terms like, effective immediately, or effective on a specific date, would be an improvement. I think the why and how of the decision is pretty easy to dissect, even beyond the official explanation.

4) Cameras are part of the topic. They are already part of the "lane departure warning system". Are you certain they are not capable of capturing event video? I don't claim to know, for certain. I do know the "manual record feature" mentioned is not available. Presumably the tablet, as part of the ELD, will.

5) Conjecture, invoking opinion, and certainly off topic.

Last edited:
Although the company no longer keeps a "scorecard" on us, the Fed Govt still does...on the company and the driver. Have an accident or fail a roadside inspection and you'll get your letter of how many points the Govt has assessed you...accumulate to many points and the Govt will pull your CDL!!

The company I am leased on to will de lease you if you get to 100 CSA points. They also fine $10.00 per point times 3 for the three years its on your CDL.
The fine the company claims was brought up in a DOT audit by the auditor as a way to enforce compliance. Maybe Fred could add some more value to the shareholders ?

1 Nonsense. This is a directive "to Preshift" . A topic to share, ASAP.

2) You should recuse yourself from the safe and defensive driving portion of the discussion. As a Self Described "Aggressive" driver, your credibility has been lost. Challenged, at a minimum. Just saying...

3) Simple terms like, effective immediately, or effective on a specific date, would be reasonable.

4) Cameras are part of the topic. They are already part of the "lane departure warning system". Are you certain they are not capable of capturing event video? I don't claim to know, for certain. I do know the "manual record feature" mentioned is not available. Presumably the tablet, as part of the ELD, will.

5) Conjecture, invoking opinion, and certainly off topic.
1 Have you signed for or scanned your badge showing that you've been made aware of such changes? If not, then it's not official and you can't be held accountable...period.

2) "Aggressive" is subjective and has many levels...what I deem "agressive", you may deem as normal driving habits..just sayin'

3) Agreed. Within a few business days allows mgt the time to attempt to roll out to everyone.

4) Don't know and don't care!! Has anyone been reprimanded for events captured by the lane departure camera?? I didn't think so!! Fear mongering at its finest!!

5) Fact, proven fact, and a jab at their expense.

The company I am leased on to will de lease you if you get to 100 CSA points. They also fine $10.00 per point times 3 for the three years its on your CDL.
The fine the company claims was brought up in a DOT audit by the auditor as a way to enforce compliance. Maybe Fred could add some more value to the shareholders ?
Wow!! Got a friend who drives for another company and he had an accident. The Govt assessed him with 27 pts (weight), times 3 (severity), for a total of 81 pts!!
Good for him his company doesn't hold him to the same standards as yours...otherwise he'd be on the hot seat for the next 3 years and broke!!

I think we can all agree that Big Dave's hat has it's own time zone. That's why he's always wearing it.

That said, none of your trucks look as good in white as mine does! :poke:

FYI the lane departure is not a reporting camera, you have a switch on your dash to override it. It stays off for ten minutes then you can repeat it. Some tractors if double tapped will stay off the whole trip.
Also I don't even believe it is a camera it's a lane sensor radar. It's not a recording camera.

FYI the lane departure is not a reporting camera, you have a switch on your dash to override it. It stays off for ten minutes then you can repeat it. Some tractors if double tapped will stay off the whole trip.
Also I don't even believe it is a camera it's a lane sensor radar. It's not a recording camera.

Thanks for the info on video capture capabilities, Gator.

Only thing I must point out, there is a camera, as radar cannot detect painted lines. Radar is used for following distance, blind spot alert, etc.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/165320-what-is-lane-departure-warning-and-how-does-it-work

"The camera plus processing software watch how close you are to road surface markings. It alerts you when you’re about to drift across, but only if your turn signal isn’t on."

"The most common LDW system is a camera mounted high up in the windshield..."

"Less often, the lane departure warning technology is a set of laser or infrared sensors."

If the company would just let the trucks run the speed limit alot of this following to close would go away on its own.
I'm tied of the fuel excuse, fuel is cheap and they charge the customer for it in surecharges. It's part of the expense of owning a trucking company. They have jets burning 300 gallons a hour a fly empty planes and don't even give it a second thought. Our trucks burn less than 100 gallons on a 600 mile run.
We are now the slowest thing on the road and for a company that says it doesn't want in the cab distractions but yet that is all its become.