FedEx Freight | Policy Update: Active collision mitigation system & Fwd facing cameras

Yeah, that's what I'm guessing, too. But, in this day and age, remote retrieval may be possible. Again, time would be of the essence.

When it's all said and done with the peoplenet software and it's capabilities a remote user will be able to get into trucks entire computer systems.....run diagnosis, change truck parameters, basically run the truck from a remote location. The e.l.d and o.e.r are plugged into the system just as the shop would. Think what could happen if it gets hacked.....you want to fear monger over petty stuff.....think long and hard about that...........

Just my 2 cents here, I don't work for FedEx so not trying to start anything,We don't have cameras or all the bells you guys have,But on the Volvo's I know they have a Volvo link built into the truck which can tell if something is happening to the truck EVEN before any lights or warnings come on. In our's it will send it to the shop to let them know their is a problem before the driver even knows about it. I think the Freightliners are the same don't know what they call it on them. They can tell when and how long out pto is on ,if we are on high idle or not,cruise,etc etc etc. I know the link went out in my Volvo and it told me I had to use paperlog's since it couldn't talk with the JJ keller elog we use. Not trrying to fear monger just the fact's Jack "nuff said everybody stay safe and it's starting to get warm up here

The "extra" footage must be stored local (meaning in the unit in the truck). We were explained when I worked for Sysco that storing hours of footage from thousands of truck was cost prohibitive, I guess if it triggers and sends the 20 second event then follow up is needed they could go to the unit in the truck and retrieve it.

I'm almost sure I read on the companies website that the unit could store 72 hours of footage and then it would record over itself on a loop. The footage was available to be viewed remotely without having to actually hook up to the truck. 72 hours of video footage is a lot of data, I know data storage is much cheaper these days (I just bought a 2TB external storage really cheap) but wow, still a lot of data.

I'm almost sure I read on the companies website that the unit could store 72 hours of footage and then it would record over itself on a loop. The footage was available to be viewed remotely without having to actually hook up to the truck. 72 hours of video footage is a lot of data, I know data storage is much cheaper these days (I just bought a 2TB external storage really cheap) but wow, still a lot of data.
I'm not disputing it just found it interesting, I could see where it could actually help you to have that data available. Say you have a rear end collision with a car but that car has been screwing with you for two miles (I've had that happen) it could change things in court. I should have thought my statement out more than I did, I can see where you could remotely access the data from the truck without actually hooking to it, I just meant it wouldn't upload all that data to a server. I know Drivecam which is what we had uploaded at night when the cell rates were cheaper, that's one of the things the told us was uploading 24 hours of data over a cell connection for thousands of trucks would be expensive. But I can see where storing it locally and remotely retrieving what you need would be easy.

I read you link, it appears the can see an event in real time, this is for a "triggered" event. Can they log in at anytime and watch?

I read you link, it appears the can see an event in real time, this is for a "triggered" event. Can they log in at anytime and watch?

Interesting... I can't say if the current system allows such "real time" monitoring, but I would ask, "why could't it?"

If I can download an app to monitor a camera (or cameras) in my house, from my phone, or answer the doorbell remotely...Or broadcast live video to the world on facebook, again from my phone, certainly it could be done for any truck so equipped.

The capability could be justified, I can imagine, in (and for) certain rare and urgent situations. In widespread practice, it seems that it would be impractical. The staffing/costs required, for random (real time) monitoring, would be prohibitive. Searching for a return on a such an investment would be futile.

Again, other than certain emergency situations, why would anyone want to monitor "live" footage?

Last edited:
Interesting... I can't say if the current system allows such "real time" monitoring, but I would ask, "why could't it?"

If I can download an app to monitor a camera (or cameras) in my house, from my phone, or answer the doorbell remotely...Or broadcast live video to the world on facebook, again from my phone, certainly it could be done for any truck so equipped.

The capability could be justified, I can imagine, in (and for) certain rare and urgent situations. In widespread practice, it seems that it would be impractical. The staffing/costs required, for random (real time) monitoring, would be prohibitive. Searching for a return on a such an investment would be futile.

Again, other than certain emergency situations, why would anyone want to monitor "live" footage?
Just curious is all, when we had drivecam some drivers claimed they could watch us real time. A buddy of mine contacted them for information because he said he was interested in getting them for his trucks (he wasn't just fishing) the contacted him and tried to sell him the system, they said real time viewing wasn't an option. I don't think the would have lied to a potential customer so that was good enough for me.

That being said your system is apparently totally different so it could be possible. They would have to have a reason I would think or why waste the manpower?

I've thought about getting my own camera for my own cya situations but I would have total control of the "evidence" so to speak.

I will say though among a group of guys that have had major disagreements we might agree that we don't like it, they are ruining a once great job.

Anyone seen this app or know anything about it?

rZTXy6M.jpg

I'm not disputing it just found it interesting, I could see where it could actually help you to have that data available. Say you have a rear end collision with a car but that car has been screwing with you for two miles (I've had that happen) it could change things in court. I should have thought my statement out more than I did, I can see where you could remotely access the data from the truck without actually hooking to it, I just meant it wouldn't upload all that data to a server. I know Drivecam which is what we had uploaded at night when the cell rates were cheaper, that's one of the things the told us was uploading 24 hours of data over a cell connection for thousands of trucks would be expensive. But I can see where storing it locally and remotely retrieving what you need would be easy.

They can definitely log in and watch video from the last 72 hours for any driver or truck with the system. Word is some brand new trucks may have rear facing down the side cameras but haven't had any confirmation of that, I guess that may be a factory option.

I've thought about getting my own camera for my own cya situations but I would have total control of the "evidence" so to speak.

Kind funny, I remember two or three years back, having this conversation with our then opps manager. He recommended that I exercise caution on that, due to company policy. He was never able to find/provide any such prohibition. He stated at the time that the Company would/could be placed in a more challenging position of defending itself, based on potential video. Still, he was never able to cite specific policy, leaving it to my discretion.

Now that the prices are so low, I do run a cheap system in the car. It would be easy to run in the truck, as well.

Prices? Starting at $30, for the one I've got. https://smile.amazon.com/SENWOW-Traveling-Recorder-Camcorder-Dashboard/dp/B014KUCNF0/ref=sr_1_7?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1487594141&sr=1-7&keywords=dash cams

71XdkO4B-8L._SL1500_.jpg

More here:
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_9?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=dash cams&sprefix=dash cams,aps,153&crid=1QS6I2USSQ59H&rh=i:aps,k:dash cams

Last edited:
Kind funny, I remember two or three years back, having this conversation with our then opps manager. He recommended that I exercise caution on that, due to company policy. He was never able to find/provide any such prohibition. He stated at the time that the Company would/could be placed in a more challenging position of defending itself, based on potential video. Still, he was never able to cite specific policy, leaving it to my discretion.

Now that the prices are so low, I do run a cheap system in the car. It would be easy to run in the truck, as well.

Prices? Starting at $30, for the one I've got. https://smile.amazon.com/SENWOW-Traveling-Recorder-Camcorder-Dashboard/dp/B014KUCNF0/ref=sr_1_7?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1487594141&sr=1-7&keywords=dash cams

71XdkO4B-8L._SL1500_.jpg

More here:
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_9?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=dash cams&sprefix=dash cams,aps,153&crid=1QS6I2USSQ59H&rh=i:aps,k:dash cams
There was a policy stating we could not have one but it may be gone. Either way I have not been one for strictly following rules as most don't here. I purchased one about 4 years ago on aliexpress. Best thing I ever did to CYA. I have recorded many interesting things but none involving me or the truck. I do not think the liability would stand now as they are recording. Even though I have more video evidence I would have to alert them to the fact that I have additional footage. The company may feel 20 seconds is plenty but I want a bigger picture to back me up if it's ever needed.